How long, does the Hanged man... hang?

.traveller.

How long does he stay like that? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?

As long as it takes? Who determines that?

Alta

Eight days. No more, no less. :)

Hooked on TdM

I find that he hangs according to each reading. Sometimes he's been there a long time, sometimes not. It just really depends on where he lands and what is surrounding him.

Hooked

silverr

Never past the second Tuesday of the week, as a rule. ;)

.traveller.

Does he hang until Death?

If so, does the ego die at the same rate a body does?

silverr

Does he hang until Death?
For my view, no. In fact, if he hangs successfully, he can skip Death.
I wouldn't say he's hanging because of some kind of Justice call, either.

Tarot is fluid, however. If you want to read the Majors in numerical order, then of course the answer to the question is yes: Justice sentenced him to hang until Death.

But really, I only just dropped in here to point out the second Tuesday rule. :D

Queen of Disks

As long as he feels like it.

PAMUYA

I agree with the second Tuesday rule!

MercyMe

For quite some time, usually. It's not really his choice to hang there. Forces outside of his control hung him up there, so it's not always his choice then to unbind himself. The key to the card is how he handles being hung. He can struggle and flip flop around, making the pain and wait a lot worse, or he can release himself to his predicament and thereby find something priceless in the time spent hanging around. Some say he'll hang there until he gets a clue, a revelation, or something. I don't know...maybe. Or maybe some compassionate soul will cut him down. Or maybe by relaxing and going with the flow, the rope acts like a Chinese finger trap that releases just by his letting go. I do know it does take a good while before he comes down, though, so when I see this card I always say don't expect things to change for a while. Your best bet is to just let it go, let whatever happen, you can't change or control it, your best attitude right now is that of acceptance and patience.

Ginny

tarotlyn

MercyMe...you are so right on!!! I am "living" this card right now and have been for several years.

When my (brilliant Engineer husband) started having stokes I really was upset...
especially when I realized that I am all he has...and I had to (& still do) take
care of him 24/7. He is a total invalid now. (like 5 years old most of the time).

Well, all during the past 3 years I kept getting the hanged man in my own readings...
...and still am to this day...

I now KNOW and understand the ways of the Hanged Man card...
The situation is NOT of your doing...BUT you do have a choice if you want
to sacrifice for the good of someone else or NOT!!!

Would you believe that an actual doctor took me aside and told me that I
should seriously consider getting a divorce and leaving my husband in
the nursing home (he was in temporarily)...it was horrible...I took him out
of there the next day...

That was about three years ago...Like I said, at first I was resentful then
I relaxed and offered my sacrifice up unto the Eternal Light of Love ...
And ever since then, it has been so much easier and peaceful for me...
I now gladly take care of him and I am overwhelmed with compassion for him...
but as a consolation prize: I have so much compassion now for other people too!

So, to me, the Hanged Man means: either serve or suffer!!!
It is not so bad upside down...especially when you start seeing things in a
different light...more clearly.

Hope that gives you another meaning to consider. There are many other ways
to read this card also, I know.

:) :love: tarotlyn

MercyMe said:
For quite some time, usually. It's not really his choice to hang there. Forces outside of his control hung him up there, so it's not always his choice then to unbind himself. The key to the card is how he handles being hung. He can struggle and flip flop around, making the pain and wait a lot worse, or he can release himself to his predicament and thereby find something priceless in the time spent hanging around. Some say he'll hang there until he gets a clue, a revelation, or something. I don't know...maybe. Or maybe some compassionate soul will cut him down. Or maybe by relaxing and going with the flow, the rope acts like a Chinese finger trap that releases just by his letting go. I do know it does take a good while before he comes down, though, so when I see this card I always say don't expect things to change for a while. Your best bet is to just let it go, let whatever happen, you can't change or control it, your best attitude right now is that of acceptance and patience.

Ginny