Urim and Thummim

Brother Harmonius

Urim and Thummim
As I was researching a reference to the Witch of Endor from the First Book of Samuel, I happened upon a divination method from the Bible, the Urim and the Thummim, which might have been stones inscribed with a "yes" or "no", or jewels that reflected light in a certain way to give answer to the querent. Whatever they were, they were kept by the priests. Since the First Book of Samuel says that Saul received no answer as to the course of a battle victory from his dreams or the Urim and the Thummim, maybe there was also a neutral stone, or some other ambivalent outcome.

pur
Interestingly, the evil Haman from the Megillat Esther (Book of Esther) cast "lots" or stones, like dice, to decide when he should attack the Jews in Shushan. The red lot, or lot of blood fell in the month of Adan. The lots were called "pur", and one interpretation has it they fell in a zodiacal wheel. The month of Adan fell in the zodiac sign of the fishes. This is the origin of the Jewish holiday Purim.

arrow divination in Islam
According to Islamic sources, there was a similar form of divination among the Arabs prior to the beginning of Islam. There, two arrow shafts (without heads or feathers), on one of which was written command and the other prohibition or similar, were kept in a container, and stored in the Kaaba at Mecca; whenever someone wished to know whether to get married, go on a journey, or to make some other similar decision, one of the Kaaba's guardians would randomly pull one of the arrow shafts out of the container, and the word written upon it was said to indicate the will of the god concerning the matter in question. Sometimes a third, blank, arrow shaft would be used, to represent the refusal of the deity to give an answer.

memries

Urim and Thummim have always fascinated me as well. They could well have been stones or crystals. The Breastplate designed with a stone representing each Tribe also lends credence to the importance of crystals within their culture.

raeanne

Hi all,
I read a book once (can't for the life of me remember the title right now) that claimed the Ark of the Covenent was an energy source like a very large battery. The Urim and Thummin were always kept near the Ark. The idea behind the book was that aliens from another planet came here and did some genetic experiments on the "chosen" people. Perhaps the Urim and Thummin were some type of communication device to send and receive messages. I have read the Old Testament and there is something very strange about these two objects, that's for sure! Also, don't forget Joseph (as in the coat of many colors, sent into slavery by his brothers) and his cup that he used for divination!

Brother Harmonius

raeanne said:
Hi all,
I read a book once (can't for the life of me remember the title right now) that claimed the Ark of the Covenent was an energy source like a very large battery. The Urim and Thummin were always kept near the Ark. The idea behind the book was that aliens from another planet came here and did some genetic experiments on the "chosen" people. Perhaps the Urim and Thummin were some type of communication device to send and receive messages. I have read the Old Testament and there is something very strange about these two objects, that's for sure! Also, don't forget Joseph (as in the coat of many colors, sent into slavery by his brothers) and his cup that he used for divination!
Hi raeanne,

No, I didn't know about Joseph and his divinatory cup, even though that is one of my favorite Old Testament stories. I will have to go back and read that again. You've given us one more instance where divination was used by the Old Timers!

As for the Ark, what a mystery that was. Nothing could be more "divinitory" in the most literal use of the word than to talk to God, the Divine, directly!

re-pete-a

Very interesting ,chewey stuff, Yumm.