RWS Tarot 101 Knight of Cups

PAMUYA

Knight of Cups

“I am willing to act on my dreams” Greer

A man in armor (protection, action, strength) sits a top a white (peace, innosense) holding a cup in front of him as if offering it to someone. Offering love, a proposal, or a new relationship? Over his armor he wears an over garment covered with red (passion, desire) fish (freedom from all restraint). This sounds like a Knight to me! A river (emotion) runs in front of his path. I see a man who is a romantic, a flirt, a lover. He is a man who looks to the future with much passion, and desires to make his dreams come true.

Direct:Event-Invitations, marriage proposal, start a new relationship, message of love. Person-looking ahead/plans, sensitive, wise, easy going, ladies man, charmer, enjoys social life, out going, dreamer, romantic, flirt

Reversed: Event-secret or unconventional love, unrequited love, in the closet, misunderstood communication. Person-deceitful schemer, seductive, manipulates emotions, cheating, unwilling to commit, addictions, lacking drive and energy, temperamental.

Other treads on the Knight of Cups:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=24551 Knight of Cups & Death
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=12510 Knight symbols

rcb30872

I equate this Knight with Pisces, so you have the symbol of two fish, one swimming in one direction and the other swimming in the other direction. So, you can see that there is some dichotomy there, sort of going with the flow and at the same time going against the flow, in a manner of speaking.

I wonder since he is standing on one side of the stream, and seems to be offering a cup to someone that might be on the other side of the stream would indicate that there is a need for him to sort of bridge the gap so to speak. And at the same time, I am wondering if such a person can act as a bridge between the living world and the spirit world. So, I tend to see someone who is intuitive, emotionally sensitive, perhaps not just to themselves but others. But at the same time, like you said with the coat he is wearing being red, and the suit of armour, there is passion and desire, but at the same time a need to protect oneself. Like he wants to be in a relationship, but somehow he can't give all of himself in that sense in the relationship. He desires to be in a relationship, but once he is in a relationship the other part of him, the commitmentphobe comes into play. Sort of like he wants to be committed but at the same time he wants his freedom. He is in love with the idea of being in love, but push comes to shove, when he is faced in being that sort of situation he sort of balks (word??) at it.

Just dribbling, pondering out loud.

PAMUYA

Not dribbling at all, you made some very good points...having the desire but still protecting himself...

I am wondering if such a person can act as a bridge between the living world and the spirit world. So, I tend to see someone who is intuitive, emotionally sensitive, perhaps not just to themselves but others.
This is beautiful!!

dribble away, anytime!!

Summersnowflake

I like the horse's expression in this card -- like he's thinking "hey wait a minute, we've got a river to cross here! " The Knight is so focused on his vision he doesn't seem to notice the river, maybe he's convinced the wings on his helmet and feet will take him across. The horse doesn't seem so sure. It's similar to the way the Knight of Swords' horse is looking back at him as they charge ahead as though he's thinking "are you sure about this?" In both cards the horse seems to bring a hint of second-thoughts-about-it to the scene. But these are Knight cards so I think the emphasis is on aspirations overcoming doubts or obstacles. In the case of the Knight of Cups maybe it's "love will find a way".