Meditation - Help I can't shut up lol

Umbrae

There's an old joke amongst meditation folks, "Meditation – it's not what you think".

That whole 'quiet the mind' stuff...it doesn't happen overnight, sometimes it takes years.

For me? Years and years ago I was a cook, and just 'get in a zone'. No thought, just me and the kitchen. I got to a point where I'd have orders ready before the tickets were dropped off.

If you TRY to quiet the noise (still the voices within), you shall fail. For me – I'd suggest an activity where you don't think. Bicycling, knife throwing, working in the garden – these are things where I can find that space. After practice I can meditate on a bus, in a restaurant, or with a sitter across from me.

But don't fight the chatter – embrace it, and take it for a bike ride, or take it into the garden – and you'll find that inner garden – once you stop fighting.

JONIKA

Umbrae said:
Bicycling, knife throwing, working in the garden

Knife throwing you say? Where did you learn to though knives? I'd like to learn it too.

ravenest

Well ... he did say he was a cook :laugh:

Hmmm. I am a cook and I do knife and tomahawk throwing ... curios.

But U. makes a good point, meditation is and can be many things. Lots of times, in this marvelous 'new age' of ours, people talk about meditation, when asked exactly what the beast is they dont get much futher than the closed eyes and no thought thingy ... a small part.

People did that once when I went to see a talk from a Tibetan lama. He suggested we meditate, most people did that ... he said "That isn't meditation, most of you are half asleep ... WAKE UP! And try to stay woken up."

And when you have 'meditated' properly and woken up, you WILL have the orders ready before they arrive, and you will hit the bullseye... effortlessly.

Its all about the mind and using the mind as a tool, not the mind using you.

And since I am awefully fond of quoting Liber Librae;

" To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.

Fixed thought is a means to an end. Therefore pay attention to the power of silent thought and meditation. The material act is but the outward expression of thy thought, and therefore hath it been said that "the thought of foolishness is sin." Thought is the commencement of action, and if a chance thought can produce much effect, what cannot fixed thought do?"

Mellaenn

Success with Meditation

JONIKA said:
A very simple and very effective meditation is White light meditation.

White Light of Protection

This meditation has been used as a spiritual protection technique for at least 2 centuries that I am aware of. It has been used by magicians, alchemists, sorcerers, spiritualists, spiritual healers, and by the psychics and shaman of all cultures...

Jonika

Jonika, I only quoted a portion here, but I wanted to give you some feedback about the wonderful meditation guidelines that you posted earlier in this thread. I just read your post yesterday, so I immediately tried it. After a brief five-minute meditation and request for the White Light of Protection as advised, I drove off to attend a psychic development class that I frequently attend here in south Florida.

Well, the interesting thing was that at one point last night we practicing viewing spirit; we turn the lights way down and we can see the features of the person's spirit guide over their own. When the class viewed me, one lady who is especially sensitive to seeing auras told me that I was all covered in white light and I didn't think twice about it, thinking maybe it was my spirit guide that she had seen - until I remembered your meditation! The White Light! That was after only one time! Imagine when I have practiced this for a month.

Thank you so much!

JONIKA

Mellaenn
Wow! That's absolutely awesome! :D I can't see auras, so what you wrote is a great validation to me. I do this meditation every day at least once , but mostly 2-3 times. And every time before a reading.
thank you for posting this Mellaenn. :heart:
I am glad it works for you.

raeanne

Hi all,
There is a technology called 'binaural beats'. You need headphones to listen to these CDs. One tone is played in one ear and a slightly different tone is played in the other ear. This sets up a harmonic pulse that your mind starts to follow. It's sort of like the way your foot will start to tap in time with the music you are listening to without thinking; it just happens. Companies that make these CDs use EEGs to see what brainwave patterns are being created. They can make CDs that will make you very allert and are good for listening to while studying and then there are CDs that produce the deep meditation brainwaves. I used to have problems meditating. I would itch and twitch and my mind would just run wild. The first time I listened to one of the binaural beat CDs I was amazed! It was wonderful. I know this isn't a technology that appeals to everyone but it certainly is worth trying. There is a web site: www.brainsync.com that sells these CDs. On their web site, on the left hand side, they have a free trial online. You need headphones but you can try it before you buy anything. Also, the CDs are not very expensive - $15 USD.

Another meditation that I use is called the Infinity Meditation. It is designed to help connect the two hemispheres of your brain. You imagine a path from your right eye to the right side of your brain, from the right brain to the left eye, from the left eye to the left side of the brain, and from the left side of the brain back to the right eye. This path forms the lemniscate symbol for infinity that is on a couple of Tarot cards. Imagine the path going one direction for x number of laps and then reverse the direction for the same number of laps. Take it slow and easy. One lap should take at least 5 seconds. There is a definate feeling of 'rise and fall' as you follow this path. If I don't have my CDs with me, this is the meditation I use. It costs nothing to try it. Enjoy.

raeanne

Hi all,
One more thing...I also have a light and sound machine that I dearing LOVE! I don't know if anyone else here has ever tried one but it works great for me. You have a pair of dark glass that you put on and these glasses have flashing lights. You keep your eyes closed but the flashing lights make you see the most amazing patterns. You need to wear headphones too and the sound and lights go together. A friend of mine let me try his and I liked it so much that as soon as I could save the money for one of my own I got one. They range in price from about $100 all the way up to $400+. I got one of the cheaper one but it does everything I need it to do. It has helped me learn to focus so much better. I try to use it at least a couple of times a month.

thorhammer

JustLearningTarot said:
I kick back and drop in some nice soothing music, some meditation music or none at all. I breathe, relax, do the guided meditations, and so on or just concentrate on my breathing. Nothing seems to shut up this mind of mine long enough, I start to "go back to the flame" visualization thing, but as I do, my mind goes off elsewhere and then I argue with myself because I am not "Doing it right". The only time I am able to completely just "go with the flow" is during a hypnosis session, but meditating is something that still eludes me - any suggestions?
Might I suggest a moving meditation, if none of the other wonderful suggestions here work for you?

What's a moving meditation, you ask? :D

It's fun.

Yoga.

Or for a bit more pace, tai chi.

Or if you're really tight-wound, karate - the traditional type, with a really hard-ass Sensei, where you wear the white pyjamas (it's called a dogi) and you have to tie the belt the correct way and bow before you step into and out of the dojo and . . . it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

There are these things you do when you do traditional martial arts, called kata. The less traditional systems call them patterns. Lots of the people I trained with hated them, but I loved them and I excelled at them. It was a wonderful way of focussing my mind on only what my body was doing. There was a spectrum of focus - learn the sequence, then the techniques (this takes the longest), then when your muscles know the sequence, the mind releases and before you know it, you've started and finished the kata in a total zone.

I'm a very intense person, and I find it hard to meditate, though I started young and bullied myself into doing it. But karate made it really easy for me. It had to do with the extreme discipline. It was sublime . . . and I miss it.

Now I do yoga, which is the same but on a geological time scale. I don't have the same sense of progress . . . but I love the way I feel when I finish so much that I'm not going to stop. I can't recommend these kinds of disciplines highly enough.

I hope you've found, or are about to find, a way to quiet your mind :)

\m/ Kat

Milfoil

raeanne said:
Hi all,
There is a technology called 'binaural beats'. You need headphones to listen to these CDs. One tone is played in one ear and a slightly different tone is played in the other ear. This sets up a harmonic pulse that your mind starts to follow. It's sort of like the way your foot will start to tap in time with the music you are listening to without thinking; it just happens. Companies that make these CDs use EEGs to see what brainwave patterns are being created. They can make CDs that will make you very allert and are good for listening to while studying and then there are CDs that produce the deep meditation brainwaves. I used to have problems meditating. I would itch and twitch and my mind would just run wild. The first time I listened to one of the binaural beat CDs I was amazed! It was wonderful. I know this isn't a technology that appeals to everyone but it certainly is worth trying. There is a web site: www.brainsync.com that sells these CDs. On their web site, on the left hand side, they have a free trial online. You need headphones but you can try it before you buy anything. Also, the CDs are not very expensive - $15 USD.

Another meditation that I use is called the Infinity Meditation. It is designed to help connect the two hemispheres of your brain. You imagine a path from your right eye to the right side of your brain, from the right brain to the left eye, from the left eye to the left side of the brain, and from the left side of the brain back to the right eye. This path forms the lemniscate symbol for infinity that is on a couple of Tarot cards. Imagine the path going one direction for x number of laps and then reverse the direction for the same number of laps. Take it slow and easy. One lap should take at least 5 seconds. There is a definate feeling of 'rise and fall' as you follow this path. If I don't have my CDs with me, this is the meditation I use. It costs nothing to try it. Enjoy.

Yes, I have the 'Brainwaves' software to use and make my own biurnal beats - its pretty good too but you have to do the other legwork yourself by guided meditation and practice, simply listening to the beats isn't often enough.

The lemniscate meditation is fascinating, I've never heard of that before, must give it a try - thankyou.

:)

PAMUYA

I am new to meditation. I tried so many methods and read so many books, even the one my therapist gave me didn't do it. Now don't laught ;)..I bought "Meditation for Dummies", yes I did, and it helped. Now I can go twenty minutes and now I am going to give White Light of Protection a try.