How to shuffle with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Promise

I've been battling progressive numbness in my right hand and wrist for a few months now, and at my scheduled doctors visit today, I was diagnosed with Acute Carpal Tunnel Syndrome exacerbated by Early-Onset Arthritis. Basically, I am falling apart at 20 years old. I've got a big bulky cock-up splint that I was told to wear continuously, except for bathing. Lovely.

My question is to any of you who have CTS or just have any thoughts on this: how in the world am I supposed to shuffle? Typing with this brace took quite a bit of getting used to, and other tasks that were once simple now get more complicated, and I am simply just not willing to give up Tarot all together because of this! My fingers are very weak and my lower hand and wrist are completely immobilized, but I dearly need to figure out a way to shuffle.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

thorhammer

((((Promise)))) HOw utterly sucky!! I'm going to send some nice warm healing to your hand and arm, but in the meantime, you could take the opportunity to indulge in my favourite (though impractical) method of shuffling - the "swoosh" method! :D

Put 'em on a table or the floor. I like the floor. With your good hand, start to spread them all around, back and forth, clockwise and anticlockwise, over, under, round and about, then just pick out the ones you want for your spread.

I like it. Very organic.

Best to your poor arm!

\m/ Kat

re-pete-a

Find a plastic/wooden container that the cards fit into so's they stand up, with room to flop back and forth. Preferably on their thinner end, they'll be easier to handle if they're standing on their narrower end. That will hold them like you do,between thumb and fingers.while you use your other hand to pick em up and shuffle.
Or something thats bent into a u shape or V shape that will hold up the cards.

If none of these things can be found then make two piles out of the one deck . Create a third pile by alternatly placing some cards off each pile, alternating between the two original stacks.

AND GET STUCK INTO THE CARROT AND CELERY JUICE.

Mellifluous

Maybe put them in a bag and shake them around? I don't know if that would also be difficult for you, but I've done it when combining several oracle decks so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hope you find something that works for you! :)

memries

My daughter in laws Doctor told her to take Vitamin B 6 every day and it has helped immensely.

Buy a card shuffler ? I have been thinking of doing the same.

Hooked on TdM

I'm in two wrist braces for the exact same thing. You can still shuffle normally it just takes a bit of practise. Go very slowly and expect to drop lots of cards. LOL It took me about two weeks to be able to type or shuffle somewhat normally. I also take mine off for wee breaks because the braces rub me raw in some spots. So sometimes I will take them off for five minutes and shuffle too. :)

Good Luck!

Hooked

Pandora MoonRaven

I do what Kat does...I have never issues and often it causes my hands to be weak or numb. Makes shuffling hard...especially with thick card stock like my World Spirit. I lay them on the ground...close my eyes and deep breath while I swirl them around. If any pop out I use those and often I just pull the cards that feel right out of my pile instead of stacking them and pulling from the top...in fact the circular motion that Kat described sometimes feels very soothing and spiritual to me. Highly recommend it! It also from what I hear reduces the wear and tear that hard shuffling does on the cards. :eek:)

Umbrae

Common guys...ya don't have to riffle shuffle.

This ain't rocket science.

Do a hindu shuffle and save your hands, it's easier on your decks, they last longer blah blah blah...

Hooked on TdM

Hey that is pretty neat Umbrae! (I had to uninstall and reinstall some devices so it took me awhile to be able to see it) I can even shuffle my huge Visconti Sforza like that! Off to practise!

Hooked