How Much to Charge for Mileage

Apollonia

Hi, All! I'm getting more and more requests to travel up to 40 miles roundtrip to read in people's homes. I have very little idea of what is fair to charge for mileage, so I thought I'd ask how others handle this. Do you add on a flat rate, or figure so much per mile, calculate trip time, or what?

Thanks!

Apollonia

Grizabella

Is there some reason they can't come to you or meet you in a place closer to your home?

celticnoodle

Well, Apollonia, if you are going to house parties, of course I can see that it is a trip that you will have to make. I think what I would do is take whatever is the national average for a gallon of gas, and figure out 'on average' how many miles your car gets out of that gallon of gas. then from that number, just round it up to the nearest dollar for each mile, and calculate it that way. does this make sense to you?

if this is way too much trouble, then just figure something that sounds fair to you--such as an extra dollar or two for each mile. make sure you get good directions though, because it wouldn't be fair to charge them for extra miles if you get lost along the way.

however, years ago, my sister had a tarot reading party at her house, and the reader was coming from about 100miles away. this was in 2002, and though I cannot recall what the price of gas was back then, I believe she charged us a flat fee, because not only was she driving 100 miles, but it took her a good 2hrs. each way! We also fed her of course, and she got 2 or 3 breaks in between readings--and then my mother and sister packed up alot of the left over food in plastic containers to send home with her, (usual for mom), so she made out pretty well! :laugh:

Apollonia

Grizabella said:
Is there some reason they can't come to you or meet you in a place closer to your home?

I have had a couple of people who don't get around very well or are nervous drivers, so they want me to come to their homes.

What I'm getting more and more of, though, are clients who have had one or two readings from me, and who want to invite a few of their friends over to their house for dinner and have me read for them. Plus, I do shamanic work, for which I need to either be at the shop (which doesn't always have the space free) or at the person's home. My home doesn't work for this type of thing, because of my extremely rambunctious dogs and slightly absent-minded husband, who would be quite likely to wander through the living room during a soul retrieval.

Now, of course I have a minimum, I won't go all over town for a 20 minute reading. And I won't drive over a certain distance. But in general, I don't mind the travel, and I'm happy to accommodate my clients when I can.

Apollonia

celticnoodle said:
Well, Apollonia, if you are going to house parties, of course I can see that it is a trip that you will have to make. I think what I would do is take whatever is the national average for a gallon of gas, and figure out 'on average' how many miles your car gets out of that gallon of gas. then from that number, just round it up to the nearest dollar for each mile, and calculate it that way. does this make sense to you?

if this is way too much trouble, then just figure something that sounds fair to you--such as an extra dollar or two for each mile. make sure you get good directions though, because it wouldn't be fair to charge them for extra miles if you get lost along the way.

however, years ago, my sister had a tarot reading party at her house, and the reader was coming from about 100miles away. this was in 2002, and though I cannot recall what the price of gas was back then, I believe she charged us a flat fee, because not only was she driving 100 miles, but it took her a good 2hrs. each way! We also fed her of course, and she got 2 or 3 breaks in between readings--and then my mother and sister packed up alot of the left over food in plastic containers to send home with her, (usual for mom), so she made out pretty well! :laugh:

Can I come to your sister's house and read for her? I like her and your mom's way of treating a reader!

Thanks for the information. I really want to charge for my time as well as the gas, so maybe I'll just take a map and draw rings like a target, and charge so much for the inner ring, the second ring, etc. That's what my massage therapist friend does.

HighPriestesss

Apollonia said:
I really want to charge for my time as well as the gas, so maybe I'll just take a map and draw rings like a target, and charge so much for the inner ring, the second ring, etc.

I like this idea! With gas so pricey these days, why should you sacrifice?

After the day I just put in at the fair, I can already predict my life's about to get real busy, and I'll be circling that target as well! Now it's just a matter of how, what, where, etc.

Maybe you and I could brainstorm this and come up with what sounds reasonable and fair?

Apollonia

HighPriestesss said:
I like this idea! With gas so pricey these days, why should you sacrifice?

After the day I just put in at the fair, I can already predict my life's about to get real busy, and I'll be circling that target as well! Now it's just a matter of how, what, where, etc.

Maybe you and I could brainstorm this and come up with what sounds reasonable and fair?

I'd love to brainstorm it with you, HP--maybe we could even throw a card or two once we get it down to a couple of different choices?

I think I'll check around online and see what other businesses who come to one's home charge for mileage, as well. It never hurts to get a few differing ideas.

Dancing Bear

Apollonia
I do many of my one to ones from home, But i do travel on the odd occasion, only if they live within five minutes..
I have been known to travel though on the odd occasion.. I dont know what 40 miles is converted to Km's But if the house is wihtin half an hour from home base.. I add an extra $10 for travel.. If it is an hour away, I charge $15 extra..

I do do Tarot Parties and at times I need to stay over night.. that is when i stipulate minimum amount of 12 people are required..and instead of $10 for 10 minute reading.. I charge $15 per 10 minutes.. That normally covers the petrol costs.. the accomodation i use an excuse to take family away for a weekend.. so No charge in that area.. I right it off as marketing, at the end of the financial year I can write off those as business expenses.. and I also use a log for the car.. because tax time i can also claim on my mileage..and keep all receipts.
This is all a small cost to building and making this a living , a load of mucking around really , But worth it for the end desired result!!

Prior to the Tarot parties..
I also hired a room when needed, centrally located in a local spiritual centre at $10 a time.. At the time my fees were $30 per reading, in order to pay for the room and travel, I charged $40 and tried to Book at least two people in the one day, to make the travel and expense worth it in my pocket.. and it is nice way to spend an afternoon

Good Luck Appolonia :)

Sheri

I think the current rate allowed by the IRS is 58 cents per mile. When I had my computer consulting business, I would charge my hourly rate on a "from my door to their door and back" basis, meaning I would charge my travel time to and from the call, with an hour minimum charge. The clock would start as soon as I left my house and run until I got back. An hour call with a 30 minute one way commute would equal 2 hours of billable time.

Oh, and the IRS is OK with estimates on mileage. Google mapped distances is fine. I was also told that just writing the appointment in a planner was enough documentation (plus the distances). No special log is required. I currently write off my expenses, i.e., mileage, gas, hotel and table fees when I go to Seattle and read at fairs there.

:love: valeria

Dancing Bear

Must be a little different in your parts Valeria..
Here in australia ( or where i am anyway) we have to have a log for proof + the recording in our diarys are to match up.. :( Pain in the butt really, I like the way your tax systems works for recording a load better ;)