Sweat Lodge.

Milfoil

ravenest said:
. . . I waited a bit and then casually walked over to her, she was giving me a wierd look, I tried flicking the spider off but it wouldnt move, she freaked out, I guess she thought I was molesting her or something. I treid again "Piss off you freak" she said, then I noticed, as my eyes adjusted better to the dark, that the spider was a tattoo - of course the exxplaination didmt work. . . .

. . . 3 sweat lodges ... the women set fire to their one and ended up using the mixed one anyway ... I refrained from comment ... but it was hard :laugh:

:laugh: you crack me up Ravenest.

There is a Celtic tradition of sweat lodges too, archeological evidence from Ireland shows us this. Sidhe-Ra is well placed to advise how they conduct theirs, what to expect etc.

Sidhe-Ra

Did someone mention my name? I just popped in and found this thread so I must be meant to post.

Firstly not all sweats are run properly, so make sure you really are happy with the people who are running it before you take part, because they are a powerful working which must be run with utmost respect and a good deal of ability on the part of the facilitators. A badly run sweat, or participating without respect, can mess you up for a long time.

The first two parts of the Merlins wisdom course, (which is more a series of initiatory gateways), involve sweatlodges in the revived Celtic tradition.

It is my husband, along with two others, that set up the lodge and run the course-(if anyone wants to talk to him about it, just PM me and I'll send you his number)- but I can give you an idea based on the points that have been raised.

Before anyone arrives in the space, the whole area is set up and magickally protected, ready for the working. The lodge itself is built according to sacred geometry and guidance from Merlin and the spirits of the land. permission is sought from the spirits of the land for the work- this is so important, and should not be overlooked! Offerings are given if neccessary.

When people arrive and over the weekend, much preparation, journeying and meditation is done, to ensure that people are ready for the experience, and that they know why they are seeking it. Power animals and guides will be contacted, magickal work is done as a group, building strength and trust as a group or 'warrior band'.

The sweat itself is mixed, and there is a choice whether you wish to be skyclad, to use the wiccan term, or not. Some may choose to wear a swimming costume, sarong or towel, but when you're in magical space ready to enter the sweat, you don't really notice anyone's nakedness or otherwise. I always go naked- it helps me feel closer to the earth and it get's bloomin' hot in there!

The fire is connected to the lodge by a path created by the facilitators. At all times the fire is manned by the firekeeper- (this is a job I have assisted with, and it is an incredible experience)- who holds the space outside the lodge and keeps souls intact and safe as they journey, as well as passing the hot rocks to the people running the sweat within.

There are several rounds, between which you may choose to stay within to hold the power, take a break- always staying by the fire- or leave, but still remaining by the fire until the ritual is ended. Allies are called, Gods invoked and great journeys are taken.

I have participated in quite a few sweats and observed them both from the inside and outside, (as the firekeeper). They are intense, powerful and transformative. Julian has learned to run them in a gentle yet powerful way from the wonderful Ivan macbeth, but they are no less intense an experience for it.

Be careful what you wish for within a sweat, because they work!

I've posted this link before, but in case you've missed it- www.merlinswisdom.co.uk (site never quite finished and currently in a state of flux!)

The first part of this series of courses is running next month for anyone of any level who feels drawn to it.

Many Blessings,

Em xxx

Demon Goddess

Sidhe-Ra said:
Did someone mention my name? I just popped in and found this thread so I must be meant to post.

Oh Em! I'm sure I don't speak only for me when I say, I would love to sit in on one of these sweats. :)