Spread for an unbearable boss

Metafizzypop

It's a problem that happens far too often. We get a job and the situation looks pretty good. The money is OK, the work itself is pleasant, and the coworkers are nice. The only trouble is the boss. The person is impossible to deal with. It might be because of his/her yelling and screaming, or because of his constant blaming and criticizing, or because he automatically expects you to work overtime whenever he wants, or because he always talks to you in a condescending manner, or because he's a micro-manager that endlessly nitpicks, or because of the fact that he bullies you. Whatever he's doing, one thing is clear: you are dealing with an @sshole. And it's making your life miserable.

I've been there. Many times. And I would like to share a spread I've invented, with the hope that it will help you in your time of need.

1 - The boss.

2 - Conscious reasons for why he/she acts the way he does.

3 - Subconscious reasons for why he acts the way he does.

4 - What effect is my boss's behavior having on me psychologically?

5 - Best advice on how to handle the situation.

6 - What will ultimately happen if I do nothing?

I do hope that you won't need a spread like this, but if you do, I'd like to hear feedback on how it works out!

Glass Owl

Terrific spread! I like how this can really be used for any type of boss, even one that isn't "unbearable." Heck, I could also see this being used for a better understanding a teacher or maybe even a coach.

Metafizzypop

Hi, and I'm glad you liked the spread.

I also see it as being quite flexible in its uses. I could see it being used any time someone is stuck having to deal with a difficult or unreasonable person on a regular basis.

PhoenixDi

Metafizzypop said:
Hi, and I'm glad you liked the spread.

I also see it as being quite flexible in its uses. I could see it being used any time someone is stuck having to deal with a difficult or unreasonable person on a regular basis.

I am gonna do the spread right now using that very application. Brilliant spread and adaptation.

Carla

Nice one, this spread be used for any person you're having issues with. I think it would work well for... a mother-in-law, a co-worker, a spouse even!

Milfoil

As a spread, it looks a good way to get an insight into why someone in authority may seem to be difficult but perhaps an extra card position for the querent's (how do I influence this person's behaviour/attitude?) that sort of thing, would be balanced.

I've only had one truly awful boss and part of that problem was me (the other 90% was that she was a complete ****. However, I simply wasn't right for the job and thankfully moved on. Now I am the boss and have been for 10+ years and there are always two sides to any situation. If the querent seems to have experienced several bad bosses, perhaps the common denominator (the querent) needs to be accounted for in the reading?

Metafizzypop

Hi Milfoil. No question, there are two sides to every story. In a lot of conflicts, both people are contributing to the problem.

This spread, however, is not for that kind of situation. :)

This spread is for when the trouble lies essentially with the other person. There's people in the world who are so difficult to deal with that they need to take the lion's share of responsibility for conflicted situations. Some behavior just has no excuse at all, like screaming at one employee in front of all the others, sexual harassment, discrimination, bullying, etc. Some things just have no excuse no matter WHAT an employee is doing.

If the querent is contributing to the problem somehow, it might appear in the cards anyway. But I do think that adding another card is a good idea. It can always give insight. So I did this alternate layout.

1 - The boss.

2 - Conscious reasons for why he/she acts the way he does.

3 - Subconscious reasons for why he acts the way he does.

4 - My own influence on his acting the way he does. (new question)

5 - What effect is my boss's behavior having on me psychologically?

6 - Best advice on how to handle the situation.

7 - What will ultimately happen if I do nothing?

Carla and PhoenixDi, glad you liked the spread!

punchinella

Metafizzypop said:
It's a problem that happens far too often. We get a job and the situation looks pretty good. The money is OK, the work itself is pleasant, and the coworkers are nice. The only trouble is the boss. The person is impossible to deal with. . . . I've been there. Many times.
I have too Metafizzypop, to varying degrees of intensity. You know what would be really useful? A spread for jobhunters, letting them know about this beforehand :D :D :D Advance warning would be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Milfoil

Thats wonderful Metafizzypop.

You can use it either way now I guess. Lots of insight into the whole picture.

Sounds really good. :)

Metafizzypop

punchinella said:
You know what would be really useful? A spread for jobhunters, letting them know about this beforehand :D :D :D Advance warning would be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

This is an interesting thought. It would be good to know what a boss, and everything else about a job for that matter, might be like before we commit to taking the job. You've given me an idea for a spread to work on. I'll have to give this some thought................