Touchstone Tarot~Temperance

stargazer

Temperance

This is a beautiful card.
There is a lovely feeling of balance and harmony in it.
The lady seems to be mixing some kind of potion, something to make it all better?
I like the Angel and the bird in this card, they seem to be watching her every move.

All Is One

The vase of flowers behind the lady, on a table, seems to be bound like the woman in the eight of swords. The flowers appear to be lillies, and they seem to be giving off magickal sparkles. Below the flowers is a beautiful winged angel. Light, love, the force of G*d.

I'm terrible at left and right, but as far as I can make out, her right hand is tucked inside her cloak. This is saying she is holding back her power (right hand is the "power" hand.) And she is pouring with her left hand,(the left hand is the receptive, or "receiving" hand) which is saying that she is giving and receiving at the same time.

minrice

Argh, almost missed this one!

In this card this woman seems to be watching the bird, and I feel as though she is going to offer it a long, cool drink from the jug! She is pouring for the bird, freely and generously without worry that she will run out of water. This card reminds me of the fairy tales you read about the bird or animal dying of thirst that revives and becomes transformed into a fairy when the traveler spares the last drops of his precious water in aid. Perhaps Temperance is not just something that we receive, but something we can and should give freely as well.
This is a beautiful card and I love her headpiece! There are a lot of textures in these cards...fur, feathers, silks, velvets. This deck definitely has a luscious feel to it!

BodhiSeed

What amazes me about this card is that the woman doesn't even seem to be watching what she is doing. She is so "in the zone," there seems to be no effort or forcefulness as she blends the two containers. Maybe the dove represents "peace" and the angel "grace," which allows her to do this action with so much ease.

morticia monroe

Katharine of Aragon was the very first wife of Henry VIII, and the rightful Queen of England.

Katharine was born a Spanish princess. Her father was Ferdinand of Aragon and her mother the great Isabella of Castille. Her mother especially was intelligent and very pious, and she raised her daughters as well as her son to be well educated and devoutly Catholic.

At 6 months of age, Katharine was promised in marriage to Arthur Tudor, son of Henry VII of England. At 16, she made the trip to England and she and Arthur were married.,, but Arthur was a sickly boy and shortly after the two of them went to Ludlow Castle, the government seat of the Prince of Wales, Arthur was dead. The marriage between Katharine and Arthur had never been consummated, so Katharine was then promised to Arthur's younger brother Henry, who was only 12 years old. She was 17.

When Henry was 18 and Katharine 24, Henry VII died and Henry VIII became king. He immediately married Katharine, and for a number of years theirs was a loving, happy life. Katharine and Henry had true affection for one another. She was a good, obedient and gentle queen, and was loved by her people for her generosity, kindness, and also for the excellent example she set in her unswerving devotion to her Catholic faith.

Katharine had many miscarriages, two stillbirths (one a son), and bore a son who was christened Prince but only lived for 52 days....she also bore one child who survived, a daughter, Mary.

Eventually, Henry began to realize that Katharine was no longer capable of bearing children. And with no legitimate son as rightful heir, he began to worry. And one other thing had happened,,,Henry had fallen head over heels in love with Anne Boleyn. Anne was young and spirited, and assured Henry that, if made queen, she would give him the prince that England so desperately needed.

Henry used a passage of Leviticus from the bible as proof that his marriage to his brother's wife was not viewed favorably by God and therefore was cursed with no sons. He claimed his conscience could not allow him to continue in the marriage and requested what in modern terms would be an annulment.

Katharine refused to step down. She believed in her heart that she was divinely ordained as Queen of England. She also knew that if she DID bow out gracefully and enter a nunnery, as Henry wished her to do, it would bastardize their daughter Mary, and strip her right to succession. Also, most importantly, she felt that to betray her conscience and do what she knew to be wrong, she would lose her immortal soul. Henry attended Anne Boleyn in every way, and humiliated Katharine in front of everyone. But Katharine held firm and bore her pain with grace and dignity.

Finally one day, Katharine awoke to find that the entire Court was moving to another Castle and she was ordered to stay behind. It was the last time she ever saw Henry. She was moved to numerous different locations, each one worse than the other, and given only a few servants to help her. She was isolated, separated from her daughter and the public, but continued to refuse to admit that she had never rightfully been Queen. Henry stripped her of everything, promising that if she would only aquiesce, he would re-unite her with Mary, and provide for her for all her life. She flatly refused.

Katharine died in 1536. Her last letter to Henry, dictated on her death bed, was a testament to the grace of this wonderful woman.,,,

"My most dear lord, king and husband,
The hour of my death now drawing on, the tender love I owe you forceth me, my case being such, to commend myself to you, and to put you in remembrance with a few words of the health and safeguard of your soul which you ought to prefer before all worldly matters, and before the care and pampering of your body, for the which you have cast me into many calamities and yourself into many troubles. For my part, I pardon you everything, and I wish to devoutly pray God that He will pardon you also. For the rest, I commend unto you our daughter Mary, beseeching you to be a good father unto her, as I have heretofore desired. I entreat you also, on behalf of my maids, to give them marriage portions, which is not much, they being but three. For all my other servants I solicit the wages due them, and a year more, lest they be unprovided for. Lastly, I make this vow, that mine eyes desire you above all things."
Katharine the Quene.

morticia monroe

Temperance

The pigeon in front of Katharine signifies, in biblical terms, complete devotion and surrender to God. It denotes a life lived in faith, a believing life. Katherine always believed that by doing what she knew to be right, she would earn her place with God. Her devout faith came before everything, and gave her the strength to bear the cruelties suffered at the hands of her husband.

Her right hand is tucked in. When I googled the symbolism of the right hand in the bible, there were a few meanings. The ones that jumped out at me were these...

The right hand is a place of honor (1 Kings 2:19; Psalm 45:9); because of this, it is raised in swearing (Galatians 2:9)

Giving the right hand after a battle symbolized submission to the victor (Ezekiel 17:18; Jeremiah 50:15)

They seemed to fit well to me, as Katharine held her honor dear and sacred, and refused give it away by submitting to Henry.

According to the Bible, petals of white lily signify virginity, purity and majesty.

It is interesting to me to see the figurine of the angel almost appearing to wear a crown.. To me, that is Katharine herself, who went to her maker as true Queen of England.

The card to me signifies the balancing and order of things in life,,,knowing what is imortant to you, your convictions, and integrating them into your daily life with self control and restraint even, or especially, at the worst of times.

minrice

morticia monroe said:
Temperance
The card to me signifies the balancing and order of things in life,,,knowing what is imortant to you, your convictions, and integrating them into your daily life with self control and restraint even, or especially, at the worst of times.

Well said MM! I love that definition actually.
I don't know much about the Tudors like I said, but I do know what happened to Katharine of Aragon and it is so sad. She was indeed a woman of grace and Temperance embodied!

morticia monroe

Being more of an Anne Boleyn myself, I am in awe of this woman.

BodhiSeed

Mortica Monroe, you amaze me with your knowledge! How do you know about all these women?

All Is One

morticia monroe said:
Being more of an Anne Boleyn myself, I am in awe of this woman.

Loved your interpretation, so well written. But this last is true of me as well. I would not be sweet and obedient to such a man, especially in the face of such ill treatment. But when I saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" I was scared of Anne's naked greed and malice. I don't know how accurate that was, but I'm not much for the martyr role....