Touchstone Tarot~The Moon

minrice

This card is so beautiful and I thought it definitely deserves its own thread already.
A low moon hangs full, large and luminous over turbulent ocean waves. A woman dressed in white is in profile and she stands in front of and between two stone pillars: A Mermaid on the left and a Merman on the right. An oyster? lies at the foot of the mermaid and a crab lies at the foot of the merman. The card is both darkness and light.

I love how the moon here seems to literally glow and "pop" out from the card as though its 3D! It's beautiful. To me the woman in white appears to be pregnant, which I think is fitting as the moon is associated with the female menstrual cycle and other qualities that are associated with women as well. Feminine intuition for example.

I can't tell what is at the foot of the mermaid, I think maybe it's an oyster? Maybe pearls of wisdom and all that. I think a little crab is at the foot of the merman, perhaps in keeping with the crustacean that traditionally comes out of the waters in traditional RWS symbolism.

This card is so pretty, and I love that it doesn't have the creepy, dark, foreboding feel to it that so many moon cards have (like the Moon in the Medieval Scapini which scares the poop out of me). Instead it is soft, glowing, and feminine!

BodhiSeed

I too like this card Minrice. The woman seems to be deep in contemplation - thinking about a dream or "gut feeling" she's getting about something perhaps?
This card reminds me that the unconscious does not work literally. There is a lot of shadow, and unlike the Sun, the clarity will come from working with symbols and making connections as well as paying attention to our body's response to people and situations.

minrice

bodhran said:
The woman seems to be deep in contemplation - thinking about a dream or "gut feeling" she's getting about something perhaps?
This card reminds me that the unconscious does not work literally.

I know, I wish! It would sure make things easier sometimes, but I guess that is what makes it so mysterious. The woman does look contemplative, she looks peaceful too though. Her brow isn't furrowed or anything. Perhaps she trusts her subconscious that much!

All Is One

The Tudor theme would be carried on in this card as well. The zeitgeist, which is something my sister the shrink loves to say, which means "the spirit of the times" was that these royal women were expected to produce a male heir. In King Henry's reign, his wives were to produce a male heir or face the fate of death or retirement. The atmosphere of terror in which his wives must have lived could not possibly have been conducive to a pregnancy.

Since I'm going through preparation for my first pregnancy myself, this card is particularly important to me. I see it as a message to focus on myself, and my child, to turn inward, as she is focused inward in this 'portrait.'

There are all kinds of drama and stress that other people would like to share with me. My adopted daughter, Kayla, is in Kuwait and soon to go to Iraq. Her older sister is "frantic" over this, and is demanding my time and energy. My own sister has a new baby and money problems, problems with the baby's father, and so on.

My intuition tells me to let all the noise and drama of others pass by without letting it touch me. This card affirms my own instincts in every way. The time for taking care of others is over. These are fully grown adults whose problems are not my problems. If Kayla herself needs me, she knows I'm here. Everyone else is on their own now. It's time to concentrate on the task at hand.

morticia monroe

All Is One said:
The Tudor theme would be carried on in this card as well. The zeitgeist, which is something my sister the shrink loves to say, which means "the spirit of the times" was that these royal women were expected to produce a male heir. In King Henry's reign, his wives were to produce a male heir or face the fate of death or retirement. The atmosphere of terror in which his wives must have lived could not possibly have been conducive to a pregnancy.

Since I'm going through preparation for my first pregnancy myself, this card is particularly important to me. I see it as a message to focus on myself, and my child, to turn inward, as she is focused inward in this 'portrait.'

There are all kinds of drama and stress that other people would like to share with me. My adopted daughter, Kayla, is in Kuwait and soon to go to Iraq. Her older sister is "frantic" over this, and is demanding my time and energy. My own sister has a new baby and money problems, problems with the baby's father, and so on.

My intuition tells me to let all the noise and drama of others pass by without letting it touch me. This card affirms my own instincts in every way. The time for taking care of others is over. These are fully grown adults whose problems are not my problems. If Kayla herself needs me, she knows I'm here. Everyone else is on their own now. It's time to concentrate on the task at hand.

AIO,
Rocked me like a hurricane,,,,,awesome.

minrice

I like your definition AIO! This card definitely is about turning inward and welcoming the experience instead of being fearful of it. :) Very good, this card helps me see The Moon in a new light! I'm always suspicious when the moon in general appears in my readings, this study thread has shed a new light on it. You and Andy are trying for a baby? That's exciting!

minrice

The new mm Kunati version has the woman holding the crab! I think that is so cool, I love it. I'm a cancer but crabs have always had a special place in my heart since one pinched me really hard at the beach when I was younger. My sterling crab pendant is one I'll never part with ;)

All Is One

Thanks, Minrice. Given all the drugs and all the medical help I'm getting, I'm almost certain to be pregnant by mid December. We're doing IVF because he has had a vasectomy. They have ways of getting everything needed and making sure it all gets where it needs to go.

This card is a big inspiration to me right now. And this deck, with the era having been so focused on childbirth has come along at such a good time for me.

Luckily for me, no matter how many tries it takes, or what the outcome, my head isn't gonna roll.

If I were Andy, however, I might be getting a bit nervous...

Naawww. Just kidding.

All Is One

I have to add that the dress and her headpiece are very moon-like to me. The dress looks like it would shimmer as she moved, like moonlight on water.

stargazer

All Is One said:
The dress looks like it would shimmer as she moved, like moonlight on water.

I love this:heart: