A new de-enabling thread

Debra

Can we talk about something else?
I feel a little sick.

GeorgiePorgie

TarotGarden says they are SOLD OUT, so to quote a really lame Australian movie "tell 'im he's dreaming" - unavailable to you for a REASON.

And I don't wanna hear any lame whinings about you trawling other internet tarot pushers and finding it on their corners, I mean online stores.

Suck it up, people.

nisaba

Debra said:
Let's look at something lovely.

Here's what I want.

Mitelli.

Talk me out of it.

http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/m-decks/mitellidalnegrocards.gif
<obediently> Ah. I don't know it personally, but I had a look at the linked images.

It's been done before - has that old-fashioned look.

The brand-new yellow cardstock is supposed to make it look old?

The pips are unillustrated and look as if they're heaped up next to fireplace.

Everybody's fat (I get enough of that in my own body, I don't need to see it, too!)

That card at the top-right - Hermit? Fool? Star? Whatever it is, it has an identity crisis.

And that's just with six out of the seventy-eight!

Le Fanu

Mitelli...

nisaba said:
I don't know it personally...

I DO know it personally. I have the Dal Negro edition. I so wanted to love and use it, but - being realistic - it is a deck which one vows to use and then just never does. We all pretend we like to think "out of the box" but when it comes to a deck like this, it is just a little bit too off the 21st Century radar to be a regularly used deck...

Also, mine warped very severely shortly after I took it out of the shrink-wrap, but no-one else has complained about that so it may just be mine. It arches abruptly at The Devil and Judgement, so I can spot them a mile off and so never choose them when reading for myself (which I never do with this deck)

It is very pretty, very baroque and mannered (I know that may not sound like de-enabling, but let´s face facts)...

You won´t use it, I know you won´t... Nobody here uses it. It has these shortened pips (is it only ace then 6-10 of each suit?), and it drives you mad thinking "what would the other pips be telling me if they were here?"

It´s early. That´s what comes to mind right now, but I can think of more later if you´re stilll weakening...;)

Cat*

All Is One said:
Cat, I hope you were kidding. You really are bad. :bugeyed:
I was completely serious.

thorhammer said:
What does it say about me that everything said about the Phantasmagoric Theatre Tarot has made me want it?
That you're a little different than most people on this thread. You decide for yourself if that's a good or a bad thing.

pangolin said:
What does it say about you? Well, I look at that Hanged Man all done up in his bondage gear, and I think of you saying that *now* you want the deck, and I *do* have to wonder... :neutral:
Uh, I really don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about the acceptability of consensual BDSM activities between adults, but could we please agree to stop the hateful comments now? Because I do start to feel seriously offended, and I'm not joking.

(If anyone has any questions about actual consensual BDSM, feel free to PM me and I'll happily give you some pointers to sources of information/education.)

Not to mention that we're talking about frickin' cartoon characters, most of whom don't even remotely look like actual people - which is to say, this is fantasy, folks, this is just another symbolic language. If it makes you feel bad, don't look at it. You don't have to like the Phantasmagoric, but please try to be a little more accepting of those of us who do. Even if this is the de-enabling thread where we play rough by definition.

Thank you. *stepping off soapbox*

thorhammer said:
Cat*, may I sit with you at lunch? :(
Sure, meet me over in the freak corner... Bring your deck. :)

pangolin

Cat* said:
Uh, I really don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about the acceptability of consensual BDSM activities between adults, but could we please agree to stop the hateful comments now? Because I do start to feel seriously offended, and I'm not joking.
I'm sorry you took this as something other than playfulness on the behalf of de-enabling. Hatefulness toward BDSM or other kinky stuff? Not from me, I assure you. But apparently it's not an appropriate subject for humor, between strangers, on an internet forum where tone/intent can sometime fail to be communicated successfully. My apologies, truly, for offending you.

swimming in tarot

Okay, let's lighten it up.

Back to Debra's request for de-enabling. The drawings. Artistic licence notwithstanding, the women have been drawn carelessly by someone who has perhaps never seen one. Look at the Chariot, if that's what it is. The artist is so stuck on the mannerist style that the figure's limbs get longer and chunkier toward the extremities. They make me think of lifeless, toneless bodies lying on a slab...oops, this is getting morbid. Period style or not, if the artist had made a study of the human figure, or of mathematics--notably the Fibinacci ratio--he/she would not have erred thus. The figure in the bottom right--not sure what card that's supposed to be--has a woman's curvy legs, but a man's flat torso. Is that intentional, or incompetent? The Hermit is so darkly drawn it's hard to distinguish what's in the picture. The ribbon details in the 10 of wands are carelessly drawn. Just because it's a pip card, is no excuse for slacking. How much extra effort does it take? Yes, the Emperor, if it's the Emperor, is well-proportioned and nicely coloured, but that's just one card! Does that justify a whole deck of iffy cards?

Okay, now you can de-enable me. I would like to order Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Interpret a Tarot Card, but that's not what I need de-enabling from. And there's free shipping if I get just a couple more things. Since I will eventually be buying a couple more things anyhow and I don't live anywhere near a city, the free shipping is a real bonus, and that's not what I want to be de-enabled from, either. It's the Lo Scarabeo Tarot of Pirates that's caught my eye, to include with the order. Yes, it's a bit Disney. But I do like the original takes on the card images, and I don't require a Big White Book. Is there any reason not to get this? Is there a better choice in well-drawn, fully-illustrated, original-imaged, inexpensive, 78-card, in-stock decks, that will give pleasure in the long term, that I don't already have? (Don't tell me I'm being difficult. The specific terms are to make things easier! :D )

magpie9

The LS Pirates tarot is really really cartoon crap. The female pirates are particularly repugnant, because somehow their clothes just can't stay on them. There where female prates, and quite a lot of them, and they didn't "fit in" with the guys by looking like Prey. This deck is an abomination and insults Pirate descendants. We oughta sue. There is a much better pirate deck out, you can see it at Tarot Garden. If you recall the wooden Pirate Tarot (carved in real wood for a measly $500.) this is that deck, printed on card stock. It will be released soon, and is quite inexpensive. On an LS note, their Viking tarot is actually good, well founded, interesting and currently available. If you like pirates, you might like vikings, too?

If it's just something to fill out the order, I dunno if I can help....surely there is some inexpensive book you'd like to read, or something? I sympathize with your plight, since I always want the free shipping myself.

Gawd, I can't believe I just did this. There goes my hard-won reputation as the toughest of the tough de-enablers. Maybe I should go see the Dr.? It could be a high fever...:eek: