A new de-enabling thread

swimming in tarot

Well...I'll say that to go boning up on physics to use the Quantum deck is to put yourself on a false trail. I am studying this deck. I am using this deck. It doesn't have a sense of humour as far as I can tell. It's kind of like going to the clinic to get the results of your scan. HOWEVER, in all fairness, it reads fine, with a clinical kind of accuracy. It has enough RSW references that I don't need to trouble my little head, if I don't want to, with the physics. After some contemplation, I find that the different artwork is my key to getting on with this deck. But if you like rich colours, sensuous suggestions of smells and touches and tastes...this deck is not for you. You will have to go to the patisserie for that, after you leave the doctor's. And the cards are kind of stiff. I'm shuffling hand-to-hand for fear of damaging the silvery edges.

[mumble...but it's small and inexpensive and was designed by AT'ers, mumble]

nisaba

Starshower said:
I do not yet have the Quantum Tarot.
Although beautiful, I thought it was too far removed from imagery that I could relate to.
But after looking & lusting again (for purely aesthetic reasons, you understand,) I am suddenly gripped by intriguement.
Worse: having just got a refund from my phone company, who have been overcharging me for months & causing no end of trouble, I now have a wee bit of cash & feel I NEED this deck as a reward / compensation.

Is my fall inevitable, or is there any hope?

Just to show how desperate my case is, I've even started reading up on quantum physics / populist science sites ... HELP!
<shaking head sadly> Don't get it. Chariots have been around for thousands of years - space shuttles haven't. This deck has NO universality! <glances around for traces of its creators>.

Also, it's a bad influence - the images will keep you away from your other decks for hours on end.

And silver gilding on the edges - really - whoever heard of *silver* gilding? Too weird.

Your fall is not inevitable. Go you and buy yourself some chocolate-coated macadamia nuts as a reward. They may not last as long as a Tarot deck, but they're *mmm* tasty.

nisaba

Starshower said:
Thanks, Cardlady, but I sense that you too are feeling the pull of The Devil's black hole of irresistable gravity ... once we're in there, there's no escape ...

Aaarrgh! I can tell that the deck already has you under its evil spell! It's that silver gilding - totally, noxiously addictive. The only hope for you is to find the nearest rehab unit and get yourself locked in for a few months - without internet or a credit card.

<grabs megaphone>

STEP AWAY FROM THAT EVENT-HORIZON! STEP AWAY! BACK SLOWLY AWAY FROM THAT EVENT HORIZON! PUT YOUR CREDIT CARD ON THE GROUND GENTLY WHERE WE CAN SEE IT!

Starshower said:
Is this a bad Tarot?
Shocking. Can you imagine. Putting a photo of the creator in the court cards. Dreadful. <shakes head sadly>

Starshower said:
How is it for readings?
Hideous. It violates all Tarot tradition. Why, when my copy <chokes on words> was brand-new and a querent insisted on having a reading with it, it produced a pearler without even being broken in or blessed or anything! Can you imagine how distressing that is to a traditionalist ...

Starshower said:
Does it ever get its science wrong (glimmer of hope)?
<slightly more seriously> The science *is* very simplistic. But then, the companion-book is fairly small and has limited room for in-depth discussions. I haven't found any actual mistakes, and I've run one or two of the discussions in the book past a scientific community I also take part in.

Starshower said:
Does it have a sense of humour?
A shocker of a one. It laughs at you all the time. Keeps telling me I'm an idiot (me! Just imagine!) and that I need to look up the book. How insulting.

I personally deeply regret buying it. I'm going to put my copy on twenty years- probation, then see if I want to trade it for a fair exchange - fifty brand-new Decks Of My Choice.

You can see I don't have much liking for it. So you'll be happy when I tell you there's a series of threads over in the study groups forum where you can see us (well me mostly - I'm the loudest loudmouth around) discussing individual cards. Kay has been kind enough to comment on my comments, and upload images of all the cards discussed, so if you want to see twenty-odd of the cards, a whole shirt-load of talk and a lot of dreadful enabling, go to the study groups forum, then look at the list of study groups thread, find the quantum deck message, and it will give you direct links to every card-discussion. Or you could just scroll down through the study groups forum, bearing in mind that many of the threads are no longer on the first page.

In the interests of de-enabling, I really, really don't recommend it. I'm an idiot, and I say a lot of stuff that, if you didn't take my vast ignorance into account, might be considered enabling <gasp>. I'll look forward to not seeing you there, joining in.

nisaba

<crestfallen> I'm not sure whether I dunn good or dunn bad just then.

I *think* I dunn good - I went to the trading forum and offered up over half a dozen decks for other people - reverse buying.

OTOH, I *feel* I dunn bad - I offered them for swapsies, and listed the decks I'd buy in an instant if I won the lottery de-enablement or no de-enablement.

The evidence is here:- <http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1780225#post1780225>

Do I need to reward myself with chocolate-covered macadamias (or even chocolate seashells!), or punish myself with a hairshirt and a barbed-wire cat-o-nine-tails?

Cat*

nisaba said:
Do I need to reward myself with chocolate-covered macadamias (or even chocolate seashells!), or punish myself with a hairshirt and a barbed-wire cat-o-nine-tails?
How about punishing yourself with a whip braided from licorice strands? Or kneeling on the chocolate-covered nuts for a while before you eat them? Would that cover both punishment and reward? ;)

gregory

Well, I can tell you right now - you don't want the Klee. So forget that :D And I even KNOW the creator and still I say......

You wouldn't like it. It is very extremely not you.

Debra

Furry's right. I had it and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Shoddy construction. Make one yourself by cutting up some Klee postcards and putting labels on 'em. Cheaper, nicer, more fun.

teomat

Starshower said:
I do not yet have the Quantum Tarot.
Although beautiful, I thought it was too far removed from imagery that I could relate to.

Is my fall inevitable, or is there any hope?

Just to show how desperate my case is, I've even started reading up on quantum physics / populist science sites ... HELP!
I love the IDEA of this deck, as it combines two of my favourite subjects (tarot and science)...but there's no way I could buy it as I don't like the artwork, particularly the photo images of several AT members (not that I personally know them, but I don't like photo collage in tarot anyway).

And because they are AT members (as are the creators of this deck) it feels like a 'tribute' deck for their chums and I can't take it seriously. A bit too cliquey for me (absolutely no offence intended to anyone!!)...

nisaba

gregory said:
Well, I can tell you right now - you don't want the Klee. So forget that :D And I even KNOW the creator and still I say......

You wouldn't like it. It is very extremely not you.
Hey! <sharply> don't de-enable me when I haven't asked for it! What happens out of this thread, stays out of this thread! <grin>

nisaba

And what *is* me, deckwise, anyway?