A new de-enabling thread

Cat*

nisaba said:
ZIGEUNER WAHRSAGE-KARTEN
I can confirm that this means "Gypsy Fortunetelling Cards." I can also tell you that they're currently all the rage in Germany (mostly because of good marketing by the publisher and the folks who wrote books about the deck, it seems...). I've seen the cards and witnessed half a reading with them and wasn't too impressed. Oh well, but you got them as a present, it seems, so you can be forgiven this ONE time. IF you resist buying another deck in exchange, that is.

(ETA: Which you didn't. :( Here's your punishment: Go and write three serious de-enabling posts for the next people who need them with NO secret messages tucked in about how fabulous the deck really is. We are professional addicts here. We DO read between the lines.)

If anyone needs any books for the ORACLE cards nisaba has mentioned, try searching for "Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten." I can't promise you'll get anything in English, though, not can I promise you any quality in writing. But if you buy a book in German, you'll be so busy looking up words (assuming you don't speak German already) that you won't have time for buying more decks. Ta-dah! Instant de-enabling!

Cat*

jackdaw* said:
I'm looking with big sad puppy-dog eyes at the Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot at alida. I'm intrigued and tempted.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't have it?
Look at the Star. What's wrong with her shoulder? Even with woodcut-like anatomy and all that, there's something BAD going on between her arm and the vessel... To hide that, they put a star on top of it, but that only makes it look like a cover of a cheap nudie mag where they've put stars over the nipples. Not to mention the poor chopped up dolphin! Or the broken tip of the biggest star. And that's the card that's supposed to symbolize hope, healing, and all that?! :bugeyed:

And why does the World wear a vampire cloak collar on her head?

Also, do you really like yellow that much?

nisaba

Cat* said:
Here's your punishment: Go and write three serious de-enabling posts for the next people who need them with NO secret messages tucked in about how fabulous the deck really is. We are professional addicts here. We DO read between the lines.
Okay.

<looking around>

Now I want three volunteers, who are foolishly contemplating buying decks I really don't like. Keywords to aid in your search: Vampire, Manga, Unicorn, Dolphin, Fairies, Flower, Teen, Rainbow, non-Tarot-oracle, Goth, Dragon, 22-card-deck ... well, virtually anything, really. <puts on Curmudgeonly Old Lady Hat>

Le Fanu

Cat* said:
Look at the Star. What's wrong with her shoulder? Even with woodcut-like anatomy and all that, there's something BAD going on between her arm and the vessel...

Blimey, the anatomy must be REALLY bad. Apparently, the Star is a man.. so if the shoulder is a "she", it really is a problem...

Cat*

Le Fanu said:
Blimey, the anatomy must be REALLY bad. Apparently, the Star is a man.. so if the shoulder is a "she", it really is a problem...
Whoops. :bugeyed: :laugh: See what all the bright colors can do to your eyes?! Not to mention your head! (I assure you I've been properly caffeinated before I wrote this...)

ETA: The association with the nudie mags may also have played a role in getting me off track here. Anyway, just imagine such confusion happened to you in a reading! (Client *shaking head and muttering to herself*: "Sheesh, she can't even tell a naked man from a woman? Uh, I don't think I trust her much to be able to tell me anything else then...") BEWARE! Don't buy it! This deck will ruin your reputation!

WolfSpirit

LOL Cat* that is great de-enabling (if partly unintentioned)
I am beginning to doubt now if I want my Star to be a girly guy :bugeyed:

Le Fanu

I haven´t seen it, but I remember somebody commenting on how they loved the fact that the figure on The Star is male rather than the customary female...

Can anyone point me in the direction of the girly guy? Im curious now...

Starshower

Acme of de-enabling skills!

Deep gratitude, dear ones, for saving me money & subsequent anguish! Whatever was I thinking, wanting the Haindl?

This from Thorhammer worked like a dream:
"Gack! What the heck for??? It's ugly, dirty-looking, confusing, utterly uninspiring, and purportedly chock-full of esoterica. So much so, indeed, that the Grand Dame of Tarot, Ms Pollack, had to write not one, but two books on it, which are unreadable. So you're not buying just a deck - you're buying a deck and two books you'll never read which means you'll never read with the deck.

And don't try to tell me that you'll read it "intuitively". I can hear the reading now . . . "You're feeling muddy at the moment. There's a giant rock standing in your way, and you're barred on all sides by very thin straight rods of stuff. It's hard for you to focus your vision. Have you showered in the last six months?"

I think not.

\m/ Kat"

Le Fanu - huge THANKS for warning me that it relates everything in the universe to everything else, via every symbolic system known to mankind.
And Sravana too.
Far, far too much of a muchness.
The scales have fallen from my eyes.
I love the suggestion that they should therefore have printed just any ONE card!

GENIUS! ROFL!

This is in brackets, for greater privacy, 'cos I can't do tiny font:
{[Nisaba is far too good for her own good, but I'm not telling HER that in case it goes to her head.]}

Also I had no idea its eye was jaundiced with an abcess. (Any link, please, just to be finally & ultimately sure I'm never re-tempted?)

Next time I want to know "everything about everything", I'll go to Fudugazi's amazing 12-year-old nephew, Madame Irma. :)

WolfSpirit

Le Fanu said:
I haven´t seen it, but I remember somebody commenting on how they loved the fact that the figure on The Star is male rather than the customary female...

Can anyone point me in the direction of the girly guy? Im curious now...

I'm sorry I can't find them anymore...I know there used to be pictures of the deck on amazon but they were added to Paul Huson's book not the deck, and now they are gone, but I think that is where I saw it.

moderndayruth said:
Are you guys being serious when comparing this thread to an AA meeting? Do you seriously find collecting couple of decks a disease which results in health problems and negative social consequences?
Sorry, but i do think that if shopaholism, unfortunately, turns into a "condition" - there is a need for professional help and i wouldn't want to be a part of the illusion that i can get or give a professional help in the semi-serious de-enabling thread.
I mean, pointing to someone that they misposted is one thing, but flaming is all another.

I agree that deck buying is not like alcoholism, but I think that post was not meant entirely serious ?
I think this thread should stick to de-enabling because 1. almost the whole deck forum is enabling; and 2. if all decks are de-enabled noone can be offended because that is just what happens in this thread :)

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Folks,

I posted a moderator note a couple of days ago to ask that people stick to the topic of de-enabling but my note was ignored.

Please take a look at the guidelines of this thread in it's opening post: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1662621&postcount=1

PLEASE stick to the subject of de-enabling. If you need to chat then the Chat forum is for that or use the private message system.
If you want to talk about decks you have then go to the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

A large amount of off-topic, chat style posts have been removed and further off-topic posts will be removed without notice.

Sulis and MeeWah - Tarot Decks co-moderators