A new de-enabling thread

Le Fanu

sravana said:
The Sheridan-Douglas is on sale at TG!! Want!!

You will tire of this one very quickly. Primary kiddie colours. Very 2-dimensional, very little stuff in the images "floating around" to spark the imagination. I know this deck well, and I know that within a fortnight you will be bored with it. Within a month you will have it in trading...

gregory

Sulis said:
OK bad things about the Sheridan-Douglas.. There ain't many but there are a couple: The lamination is super-slick and shiny. This thing could survive a nuclear blast.
It's thick. The thickest cardstock I've ever come across. This deck is a brick of a deck; if you put it next to your other decks it will be a third thicker than the thickest one which makes it hard to shuffle.

Does that help?
Ooh - send it to join the tarot weight loss team :D

emmsma

I think I need the Medieval Scapini...
Help.

cardlady22

Re: Medieval Scapini

The name made me think of awkwardly-posed figures with their shoulder blades sticking out!

Then, I looked at some scans . . . Sadly, the artwork reminds me of some needlework pieces we found after my grandmother's passing. I know a lot of work went into the creation, but it doesn't hold up well. I can just see this little deck under its glass bell.

Le Fanu

emmsma said:
Help.

SUCH a rubbish deck. And I have the older, golden (rather than the muddy) version. You´ll be very lucky indeed not to get a muddy, newer version. If you´re thinking of ordering online, be prepared for mud tones. If you´re buying in a shop, check it is the one with the "window" box. Otherwise this time next week you´ll be de-enabling people with alarming ferocity...

Why else shouldn´t you buy the Scapini?

The minors don´t bear any resemblance to any system you know

The artwork isn´t stirring. Or moving. Or atmospheric. Or interesting. Or - let´s face it - Medieval. Just dated.

You will get the distinct impression that this deck only saw the light of day because Mr Scapini is chums with Mr Kaplan.

Look at this deck and remember the thousands of other talented tarot artists who never got a look-in.

Have I been scathing enough?

SolSionnach

magpie9 said:
<runs over sravana with litle red wagon, monster truck rally size>
I have to go to work, I'll fix you later, little missy })
ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.
I think I'm plenty "fixed" Ms. Mags... :bugeyed:
I donna think I can take anna more!
gregory said:
Smack some more. Which Folchi ?
the Sissi
Sulis said:
OK bad things about the Sheridan-Douglas.. There ain't many but there are a couple: The lamination is super-slick and shiny. This thing could survive a nuclear blast.
It's thick. The thickest cardstock I've ever come across. This deck is a brick of a deck; if you put it next to your other decks it will be a third thicker than the thickest one which makes it hard to shuffle.

Does that help?
Whew. Yes, Sulis, it does. I'm not interested in decks that could survive a nuclear blast - I'm the one that quasi-umbraed my VIEVILLE, for crying out loud (it shuffles beautifully now!!). And I have small hands, and have a particular problem with extra-thick decks.

But I'm still curious - does it have pips? or scenes?
Le Fanu said:
You will tire of this one very quickly. Primary kiddie colours. Very 2-dimensional, very little stuff in the images "floating around" to spark the imagination. I know this deck well, and I know that within a fortnight you will be bored with it. Within a month you will have it in trading...
Of course, the 1JJ also has kiddie colors - and the Royal Fez Moroccan!

Oh and I thought you were saying "I know YOU well, and within a fortnight you will be bored with it". lol

I dunno folks, wet noodles and huge "little" red wagons aside... it still has some kind of a charm to me.

Anyone else?

Oh, and Medieval Scapini - I HATE Scapini's art. He *ruined* the USG Pierpont-Morgan Visconti with a death card that had HOT PINK in it. He was supposedly matching the original Visconti cards - and he put HOT PINK in the card? and ELECTRIC BLUE????

The guy is impossible. :mad:

rhombchick

So lately I've been hitting ebay with much feocity...
So far I've bought a shakespearean deck, a da vinci enigma deck, two oracle decks, a weird version of the RWS deck that I can't even describe and have placed bids on many more... this being all in the past week.....
umm....
Currently am bidding on 8 other decks... but in my defence am only winning 4...
This is all comming out of my 'going over seas to visit my sister' fund....
so....
HELP!

**ETA also bought some runes.... not that I know the first thing about runes...but they were going real cheap... so I bid...and now they're on their way... **sigh**

nisaba

sravana said:
The Sheridan-Douglas is on sale at TG!! Want!!
<scowl> there's been some previously de-enabling on this one.

1) The colours are too bright and there's no shading or subtlety. They're simple, cartoon-like images with block-colour.

2) The cardstock is too thick - 78 cards lying in a neat pile stands up as high as one and a half of any of your thicker decks. Shuffling is therefore interesting, as is thumbing through the deck looking for an individual card.

3) The laminate is too glossy plus too slippery - cards simply float off each other and all over the floor when you put the deck down, plus you can't photograph them without getting an image of a blaze of whiteness from any angle and under any lighting conditions.

4) I got to know these cards only as line-illustrations out of the Alfred Douglas paperback - and they were much more human in that form! For decades I assumed the deck would be similar in feel. It isn't.

nisaba

emmsma said:
Help.
<darkly> Unless you are a sicko like me who is running a Scapini sub-collection in her collection (what the hey, even *I* can't be perfect *all* the time!) you don't want this. The gilding on the originals isn't done, like a host of gilded decks with gilding or fake gilding, but merely with brown printer's ink with highlights in orange. Supposed to look like gold. Doesn't.

It's not a bad Rider-Waite clone, but it is *nothing* like any of the extant early decks, certainly not Mediaeval. Others tell me there's a problem with it being printed on yellow cardstock, but that didn't bother me. bothered plenty of other people, though, so it will, obviously, bother you.

Howe much do you love Luigi Scapini? Enough to buy a deck you know you won't use "just because"?