A new de-enabling thread

Le Fanu

Wow... everyone had a real party hear de-enabling from these "classics". It´s a whole different ball-game de-enabling from decks like these compared to those which nobody´s ever heard of.

Last night I actually wrote out a post de-enabling and felt Id been a bit too nasty about all except the Morgan Greer, so I didn´t post it! (hint for what my choice would be..)

But anyway... Halloween; gimicky. Nobody takes this deck seriously. And neither will your querents. So that´s easy...

Gilded; even with decent, older cardstock it is still tacky. Why do people gush over cards that look like forgettable prog-rock album covers circa 1981? That Lovers card makes me guffaw every time. I just don´t get the Gilded. Everyone says they love it, but try posting one in trading - like I did - and see if anyone will take it off your hands. And besides, the goalposts have moved for photo-collage decks and although the Gilded isn´t strictly a photomontage decks, it has these eerie faces of real people floating oddly beneath pseudo-medieval hats. Then the "pretend" glistening jewels glittering in the borders.

Nothing worse than a deck trying to be sumptuous.

I shall de-enable no more. I don´t want to start my week off ranting, so that will do for now...

nisaba

w0ndrfulelectr1c said:
With Judgement I meant that about RW. Just...well I won't say. Just check out the card. You'll understand if you don't already.
It's a bit stodgy and conservative nad boring, a little heavy-handed, but ... freaky? I still don't get it. And I'd love to - other people's thoughts interest me.

wytchwood

Robin Wood- Have to agree with my fellow de-enablers here- Barbie....Ken.... it's soooo cheesy.
Halloween Tarot- It's a lot of fun, and readable, but it's a novelty deck so you won't use it that much.
Dragons Tarot (the one with the red borders)- Don't know it.
Morgan Greer- I love this one and it would be my choice out of the bunch, but if you don't like 70s retro, you won't like it. The colours are too much for a lot of people and the moustaches...well.. not to everyone's taste. But if you must get one, get this one.
Gilded Tarot- really? do you really like it, or do you just think you're missing something because so many people love it? I fell into that trap and was very disappointed. The card stock is hideous, the images look cheesy online, but they are a lot worse on paper, the colours are a lot flatter and the artwork is rough-looking. There is no real depth to the deck at all, it's really a collecton of tacky pictures based on tarot. Did I mention tacky?

jackdaw*

Robin Wood
Echo what everyone else said about Judgement, Wheel of Fortune and Ken and Barbie. And the Hierophant is awful. Just horrible. It's obvious that the artist sees this card as ALL negative. A pagan slant is fine. An utterly and unashamedly anti-Christian bias is not. Wicca does not mean virulent Church-bashing, although you would think so from this card and the artist's explanation of the Hierophant in her book.

Halloween Tarot
Cute, and follows RW in the minors, but honestly, you're going to feel pretty stupid using this anytime other than late October. And it's by US Games, meaning you need a letter from God to find one that doesn't have hateful and unusable cardstock.

Dragons Tarot (the one with the red borders)
Why does everyone assume dragons have anything under the sun to do with Tarot? It's just a silly, cheap concept.

Morgan Greer
Very 70s. Very masculine, in a macho hairy-chested mustachioed kind of way. I can just smell the English Leather cologne. Ick. It's borderless, which is a HUGE beef of mine. And it's by USG, so same cardstock issue as the Halloween. Flat colours. And with only a few exceptions the court cards are pretty boring and unhelpful.

Gilded Tarot
This is a perfect online deck. See the scans, fall in love. Buy the reality, be disappointed. Without fail. Online they glow. On paper they're kinda flat. Pretty and tangentially Tarot images with lots of machinery, hit-or-miss cardstock, and Llewellyn WILL force you to waste your money with their awful, awful guidebook and chintzy organza bag and wastefully big packaging.

BrightEye

I need to be seriously de-enabled. But I'm in the wrong thread. It's chocolate-coated popcorn that's getting the better of me...

gregory

BrightEye said:
I need to be seriously de-enabled. But I'm in the wrong thread. It's chocolate-coated popcorn that's getting the better of me...
That is so DISGUSTING I don't feel I need to say anything. YUKKKKKK !

BrightEye

What? The popcorn? Or me mentioning it here?

jackdaw*

Both. Chocolate covered pretzels, on the other hand ... yummy!

Sorry, OT.