A new de-enabling thread

GreenMoonBeam

(lack of)Magickal Forest Tarot is a dozen or more nightmares, colored,grotesque
on cards. You'll find yourfelf waking up in the middle of the night thinking that
The Magician is on the end of the bed. Will make you feel like you are tripping.
And that Ace of Wands reminds me of a teenage boy.:bugeyed: Not a seriously
funny deck at all.
Saute some mushrooms, you'll enjoy them more.

Queen of Pentacle

Truth seekers, deviant moon and World spirit.

Up and down, my heart change constantly.

For the last month I keep ordering and deleting these three deck
- Truth Seekers tarot
- World Spirit tarot
- and the Deviant Moon

If anoyone have an insight (de-enabling or not) it would be welcome.

MysticalMoose

I bought the Truth Seekers on a whim whilst browsing in Waterstones. I liked the golf foils on the cards,downside was horrible white borders & title bars & also the cards are very "shiny" & highly laminated. However.....after a couple of days I trimmed the borders etc & now they look much better see here:http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=98688&page=9&pp=10

Another odd thing is that when shuffling its a bit sticky & also....the deck seems to "puff up" like air gets between the cards so the deck feels thicker when its been shuffled til you push it back down again! :joke:

I quite like the World Spirit but I hear one of the cards has some naked guy with no pants etc on the same card as small kids which tends to be a bit distasteful & I think some have drawn pants on him.

The Deviant Moon, hmmmm, love the art but for some reason I cant read with it ......

pangolin

The New Tarot

You folks are great at this de-enabling business. Thanks to Annabelle my interest in the Magical Forest has been severely reduced (eye-nipples!? aggggh! :bugeyed: )

Can anyone help me get over my desire for the New Tarot (Hurley & Horler, 1974)? It reminds me of the Light & Shadow, which I love in theory, but is way too big for me to handle, so it never gets used. The New Tarot is only 2 1/2" by 3 1/2", with quirky b&w illustrations that are just different enough from RWS to be intriguing. It's looking sooooo appealing to me right now... Help!

pangolin

Queen of Pentacle, I might be able to help with the World Spirit. Yeah, there's that pants-less guy hanging out with the little kids, but here are some other potential show-stoppers:

- The Star is really scary. It looks like someone stripped off all her clothes and lit her hair on fire -- and is she pissed.

- The Sun card is a naked, 40-something, used car salesman with a receding hairline, airing out his armpits. Oh, wait -- that's supposed to be a baby? With chest hair? Huh. Fooled me.

- If you're not crazy about the pants-less guy, you might not care for the Devil card, either, 'cause there's a naked woman with her legs spread wide, and nothing is left to the imagination.

- The 3 of Cups really creeps me out. Apparently it's supposed to be 3 women hanging out together, but I swear it looks to me like an elderly male cult leader in a robe and turban, groping a couple of bare-breasted young women, with an evil smile on his face. Ugh.

I hope this helps. If not, I can say more...

Cat*

pangolin said:
- The Star is really scary. It looks like someone stripped off all her clothes and lit her hair on fire -- and is she pissed.
*lol* ..and she's surrounded by exploding fireworks. Or bombs. :bugeyed: Also, the colors on this card are kind of muddy - not at all what I associate with the Star! Really, this is one of my least favorite cards in this deck.

pangolin said:
- The 3 of Cups really creeps me out. Apparently it's supposed to be 3 women hanging out together, but I swear it looks to me like an elderly male cult leader in a robe and turban, groping a couple of bare-breasted young women, with an evil smile on his face. Ugh.
Don't you dare ruin this card for me! La la la, I can't hear you!

But there are other cards that are well-meant but non-ideally realized:
- The swarm of bees? butterflies? on the Seer of Pentacles. WTF?
- Several uncomfortable-looking court cards (King of Wands, King of Pentacles)
- Bad perspective/shadowing, e.g. in the Five of Wands
- Even worse perspective in the Hierophant - is he kneeling behind or on top of the two other people?!
- etc.

Another reason not to buy the World Spirit: It touches on quite a range of cultures and the LWB doesn't explain much about the symbols used or the background of the referenced stories. So, to understand many of the creators' ideas, it's you and your research skills...

There's also too much of a black border on this card which takes away a lot of the colors. Sure, you could trim it all off, but wouldn't it feel weird to throw away a fifth or so of a deck you just bought? And let's not forget the box in a size that makes sense (which doesn't exist) and the crappy organza bag (which does). Which means you'd have to invest in an additional bag or box to store the deck, let alone take it anywhere. Did you really want to spend that much money and/or time on a deck before you could even use it?

ETA: Deviant Moon? Just got it and immediately disliked the extreme glossiness of the cardstock. Also, if you like to read facial expressions, this deck doesn't offer that huge a range with all these circular eyes...

SolSionnach

pangolin said:
You folks are great at this de-enabling business. Thanks to Annabelle my interest in the Magical Forest has been severely reduced (eye-nipples!? aggggh! :bugeyed: )

Can anyone help me get over my desire for the New Tarot (Hurley & Horler, 1974)? It reminds me of the Light & Shadow, which I love in theory, but is way too big for me to handle, so it never gets used. The New Tarot is only 2 1/2" by 3 1/2", with quirky b&w illustrations that are just different enough from RWS to be intriguing. It's looking sooooo appealing to me right now... Help!
I *love* the New Tarot, but... There are no titles on the court cards, and they're very hard to tell apart. My copy is quite yellowed with age, as well.

(where are you finding one?? ;))

Debra

pangolin said:
Can anyone help me get over my desire for the New Tarot (Hurley & Horler, 1974)? It reminds me of the Light & Shadow, which I love in theory, but is way too big for me to handle, so it never gets used.

The New Tarot is ugly. I trimmed the Light and Shadow and it's great. You can take off just the sides, as I did, or the bottoms and tops too. Take a look: http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=19817

eta: Ok, I was thinking of a different "new tarot." The b & w one isn't really ugly but I think the Light and Shadow is better, especially trimmed :)

thorhammer

Deviant Moon ~ a travesty of USGames mangling. The images that Patrick presented here were stunning, groundbreaking, awe-inspiring. USGames took them with glee and promptly put them through an industrial-sized potato masher and then stuck them on plastic.

The print resolution is nowhere near clear enough, at all! This drove me nuts when I got the deck :( and made me very sad.

There's a lot of brown in it. A lot of brown. Like the inside of a sewer.

It inspires this kind of chatter in your head, loud, like a thousand people all at once. And I'm not talking about the civilised kind of kind of background, muted chatter that you hear waiting for the keynote speaker at a large conference - no, this is the sound of a thousand insane asylum inmates that have been starved for five days and then presented with a spit roast. Nasty.

World Spirit ~ I loved the look of this deck, I really did. Then I got it. So much black!!! I don't even wear black, let alone like it in my cards! Lots of the figures are weird looking - I think it's the Four of Cups that looks like a woman who's lost her contact lenses when sleepwalking and is grovelling about in the dirt looking for them . . . Agree about the Three of Cups, too. Creepy card. There are a few of them in this deck.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

Brancaforte

GMB - don't do it!!!!

\m/ Kat