??Value of Two Companion Books?

rwcarter

As with anything, I think people should take what makes sense/what they agree with and leave behind what doesn't make sense/what they don't agree with.

The book isn't perfect by any means, but it gave me more useful information about the deck than I would've had without it.

(And while I know about the novels Ms. Turk wrote around the deck, I haven't bought any of them.)

Rodney

thorhammer

@faunabay - I got that sense. The LWB is worse than useless :bugeyed: and I hoped to glean more of a "feel" for the deck's direction and premise if I had the book. I did look at them on Amazon yesterday, and got different ISBNs for the companion and "Inner Guidebook", so I do think they're different items.

@ formicida - thanks for your balanced opinion. No doubt I'll feel the same way - lost without but frustrated by the book :D. Looked at the Page of Pents, btw, and I'm like you - it seems a rather obscure way to reference something :confused: I didn't know about she wrote fiction based on the deck as well; off to look now :D

@ Rodney - In the end, I'm very much like you; I am not an instinctively intuitive reader, and I really like to research my decks. I've ordered the book *sigh* whether I get it or not after postage is another thing.

\m/ Kat

Formicida

I apologize if my comments were excessively harsh. I have strong feelings on this one because I really do like the deck, and I really wanted to like the book. I think the deck needs and deserves a good companion book. For me, the existing book is not that book--but that may have more to do with the fact that my brain is wired nothing like Julia Turk's, than anything inherent to the book itself. Kat, I suspect that you may be more like me--but if you're much like me, then you'll never really feel happy about the deck until you've determined for yourself whether the book is useful to you. :)

faunabay

thorhammer said:
@faunabay - I got that sense. The LWB is worse than useless :bugeyed: and I hoped to glean more of a "feel" for the deck's direction and premise if I had the book. I did look at them on Amazon yesterday, and got different ISBNs for the companion and "Inner Guidebook", so I do think they're different items.
\m/ Kat
hmmm....OK, now that I think about it I got the deck and the Inner Guidebook in a trade. So I have no idea how that person bought them. I just assumed it was from a kit. And what is it people say about assuming stuff???? LOL

However it comes, I can tell you the Inner Guide does help quite a bit with information on the deck. Gives alot more background than just reading the cards intuitively.

thorhammer

I got the companion book for the Navigators some time back. Sadly, time constraints have dictated that my acquaintance with it remains at nodding distance :( but what I have read is fascinating. I am very glad that I didn't get this book/deck as a beginner, as it reimagines things so very radically; that having been said, Turk's ideas seem valid and well-thought-out. Her way of dealing with the Minors in a very structured layout will be hugely helpful when it comes time for me to work with the deck. The book features little in the way of illustrations, and the text is quite dense, making it seem unapproachable. But her writing style is engaging without being superficial, and at this stage I'm really looking forward to the day when I get a chance to move forward with the deck and book.

\m/ Kat