• Yes

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

EarthFaery

Last night I came across a past life forum and most members seemed to be really gung~ho on past life karma, I'm not convinced. I just don't see why I should pay for or be rewarded for something I did in a past life if I can't remember what it is...I'm not even convinced I've had any past lives. I've had one "vision" that the only explanation I can come up with is past life memory but I'm still not sure what it was, it was very brief.
I guess it just doesn't make any sense to me but I'm not closed off to the idea entirely...I need proof!
Until I get some I say no

So my Q is how many of you believe in Past Life Karma?
And if you do, why?

Mellifluous

Some days I believe in past lives, some I don't.

I don't believe in karma as defined as rewards or punishment at all. I read something once about it being a balancing of experience, like one life you're a woman, another a man, one you're wealthy, another you're not, etc. That makes more sense to me - though it doesn't necessarily need a fancy word for it.

SolSionnach

I don't particularly believe in past-life karma, but I *do* believe in family 'karma' and issues which are passed down from parents to children, as I've experienced that in my own life.

I'm very attracted to the idea that the current generation has the option of continuing the dysfunction of their ancestors, or finding a new way to live.

EarthFaery

Thanks for your replies :) and thanks to all who have voted so far

I believe in past lives, Carol Bowman has a great site www.childpastlives.org/vBulletin/ I just love to read the stories that these little ones tell, I'm convinced but I still don't think I've had any lives prior to this one. I've tried to do many readings on it but all of my readings seem to describe the life I'm living now to a T. Meditiations come up nothing except that one time but I can't be sure that was even me in my vision, I think it was but who knows. Maybe I'm just not meant to know.
Mellifluous said:
Some days I believe in past lives, some I don't.

I don't believe in karma as defined as rewards or punishment at all. I read something once about it being a balancing of experience, like one life you're a woman, another a man, one you're wealthy, another you're not, etc. That makes more sense to me - though it doesn't necessarily need a fancy word for it.
Balancing is good! Maybe my interpretation of "karma" needs to be tweeked a bit, maybe not so much what goes around comes around, you reap what you sow, I don't even think I believe in present life karma by my definition but experiencing and balancing is a little easier to understand

sravana said:
I'm very attracted to the idea that the current generation has the option of continuing the dysfunction of their ancestors, or finding a new way to live.
I agree with you sravana, I am living proof of breaking the cycle :)

starrystarrynight

I'm not sure I believe in past-life karma as in...you pay today for something bad that you perpetrated in a past incarnation (or vice versa, as in...you get rewarded in this lifetime for good you did in previous existences.) I do consider the thought that if there is reincarnation then some of your personality traits could survive it, and if you were, say evil in a past life, you may retain that evil disposition in this life. But that it is the evil you do in this lifetime that you may "pay for" later in this lifetime. Or something to that effect.

All that to say I really don't know. :D

celticnoodle

I do most definately believe in reincarnation, but I'm not so sure I believe in karma as a punishment/reward for things I did in a past life.

I do however fully believe that what goes around comes around--but I think it happens in the current life you are living. I've seen it happen time and again with people. If you do something really bad--it's going to bite you sooner or later--BUT IN THIS LIFE TIME, not another one that you are reincarnated into.

Learner

starrystarrynight said:
I'm not sure I believe in past-life karma as in...you pay today for something bad that you perpetrated in a past incarnation (or vice versa, as in...you get rewarded in this lifetime for good you did in previous existences.) I do consider the thought that if there is reincarnation then some of your personality traits could survive it, and if you were, say evil in a past life, you may retain that evil disposition in this life. But that it is the evil you do in this lifetime that you may "pay for" later in this lifetime. Or something to that effect.

All that to say I really don't know. :D

Karma isn't always in physical form. It can be psychological. For example, you decided to do somethign terrible, but you get away with it. However, every night you are tossing and turning in your sleep. The remorse and guilt is there, or you are paranoid that someone will find some nasty way to get you back, etc. Once thoughts are planted, they come out in your actions. Habits can be difficult to change.

I believe you are on the right track with this one. It's also understanding that you are able to change your ways in this present life. You may be evil in your past life and bring it into your present life, but if you chose to steer away from bad actions, you'll eventually reap what you sow.

YOu must realise that sometimes what you want to believe isn't always so. I see Karma as the universal law, it offers balance to this world. What i mean is that, a universal law can't be changed. It governs this world, but it can be manipulated (i.e. by ways of your actions and thoughts).

Grigori

sravana said:
I don't particularly believe in past-life karma, but I *do* believe in family 'karma' and issues which are passed down from parents to children, as I've experienced that in my own life.

I voted yes for similar reasons. I don't have a strong opinion on if we carry debt or reward over from past lives, but I do think its clear that we don't come in with a clean slate. We all bring some baggage in with us, wherever that comes from.

I prefer not to think of Karma as being about punishement/reward anyway, so much as a consequence, without moral implications. If you do A, B will happen. Doesn't mean some god is going to smite you for generations, just that our actions have effect and consequence. If you spend this life deforesting the planet, then in your next life you have to live with less trees, just a simple consequence.

Chronata

I like everyone's view on Karma.

I do believe in it, to a point, and I do believe in past lives as well. (despite any clear evidence of my own)

I believe karma is all about choice.

In one life you may have chosen to be a dirtbag, so you make conscious decisions to NOT be one in the next life by choosing certain circumstances before birth. Family, social and economic decisions, that help your growth, and allow you to see what it is like to be on the other side....

Or not. You can also choose to continue to be a a horrible person throughout many lives...but eventually, you will want to change.

I also believe we live very productive existences between incarnations too.

That it's only in reincarnating in a tough place like this that we can learn important lessons and accelerate our wisdom and growth and potential.