A book for beginners

cal1304

Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner?

Thanks

gregory

What deck are you using ? Makes a lot of difference !

Marchal

gregory said:
One book that I absolutely adore - though it will help more with RWS-like decks than with the Thoth variants - is Mark McElroy` s Absolute Beginner`s Guide to Tarot (ISBN 0-7897-3515-6).
I discovered it pretty late but so it is easier for me to rate and value it highly. One of the very good things about it is that every card is presented as it looks in four different decks (something like the idea of comparative tarot - working out the essentials by comparing different interpretations), that card interpretations are logically and usefully structured and that the style of writing is very agreeable and no-nonsense.
Get a copy of Sandra Thomson´s Pictures from the Heart (ISBN 0312-29128-0) to accompany it, a tarot "dictionary" which is very easily accessible and profound at the same time (and uses the same comparative, multi-deck approach as the former book) - and in my view you are set for a very long time.

You might eventually add Mary Greer´s The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals (ISBN 978-1-56718-285-9) after a while.

Never mind, there are many good tarot books and you will certainly receive a lot of additional - and different - recommendations.

Good luck!

Silverlyn

Mark McElroy`s Absolute Beginner`s Guide to Tarot . I agree, great book!

Another one in my opinion: Tarot Plain and Simple

And:

Everyday Tarot (aka: Choice-Centered Tarot) by Gail Fairfield. WOW with her book, I'm learning it faster and easier than with any book, yet!:)

For Decks, I'm also sticking close with Morgan-Greer, Robin Wood, Mini Universal Waite and Hanson-Roberts while reading these books. It helps, for some reason.

Good Luck!:)

Silverlyn

cal1304

gregory said:

i am using the Druid Craft deck

cal1304

thank you I shall have a look at Mark McElroy` s Absolute Beginner`s Guide to Tarot

thanks

Scarlet27

I agree with the suggestion of Tarot plain & simple. So far... probably the best reference book EVER! =D I absolutely love it.

Stormdancer

The book I started out with was... "an idiots guide.." It was actually excellent. I learned alot, but mostly i learned to LOOK at the cards and read what "I" see....that sticks with me...although this process may not work with non-scenic pips. There were alot of chapters covering all sorts of stuff...symbolism, numerology, astrology...LOTS. All of it was useful,....but just LOOKING and reading what I see has been the best advice for me.

Stormdancer

gregory

You know - I love that book ! (No, I lie; the one I have is "Tarot for Dummies" - another goodie.)

It too is strong on LOOK AT THE CARD.