A book for beginners

Greg Stanton

stormdancer339 said:
The book I started out with was... "an idiots guide.." It was actually excellent. I learned alot, but mostly i learned to LOOK at the cards and read what "I" see....that sticks with me...although this process may not work with non-scenic pips. There were alot of chapters covering all sorts of stuff...symbolism, numerology, astrology...LOTS. All of it was useful,....but just LOOKING and reading what I see has been the best advice for me.

Stormdancer
You know, this really is not a bad book. My only real beef with it is the bogus history: weird statements like "Pamela Coleman Smith was the only female member of the Golden Dawn" and "Tarot has roots in the Kabbalah", etc. After over 20 years of genuine scholarly research on the subject, many current books still get it wrong.

In spite of this, The Idiot's Guide presents a very readable and thorough explanation of the process of reading the cards.

Stormdancer

Greg Stanton said:
You know, this really is not a bad book. My only real beef with it is the bogus history: weird statements like "Pamela Coleman Smith was the only female member of the Golden Dawn" and "Tarot has roots in the Kabbalah", etc. After over 20 years of genuine scholarly research on the subject, many current books still get it wrong.

In spite of this, The Idiot's Guide presents a very readable and thorough explanation of the process of reading the cards.

ROTF....Well, I skipped that stuff. I just wanted to learn to read...didn't (and still don't :bugeyed:) much care about the history.

Stormdancer...:cool5:

MomentoMori

I'm a beginer and i have quite a few books but the 2 best i could recomend which have helped me the most is The Power Tarot By Trish Macgregor and Phyllis Vega and also Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis both these books hold a wealth of infomation and are easy to read also the power tarot has more than an hundred spreads in it to use.

cal1304

Thank you all for your input I am going to buy a couple of the books that have been recommended.

Again

thank you

cal1304

To those who recommended Tarot Plain and simple by Anthony Louis. I thank you, I got the book and funny enough was given the Robin Wood deck as a gift. the book has been a great help already. thank you

Soothsayer

cal1304, you may want to consider getting the companion book to the Robin Wood deck. It is very good.

gregory

I WANT THAT BOOK !!!!! (Robin Wood, i.e.)

Yes I know I can buy it from her site, but I live in hope of a cheaper option !

gregory

Greg Stanton said:

The Dummies one is not half bad, either.

Soothsayer

gregory said:
I WANT THAT BOOK !!!!! (Robin Wood, i.e.)

Yes I know I can buy it from her site, but I live in hope of a cheaper option !

Apparently, if you buy it from her site, she will sign it. Go on; you know you want to. :)

gregory

WANT to, yes. Thinking on.....