Going Professional

rabidwolfie

It's going to be a little while before I can afford to rent an office anywhere, & I currently have another full time job. I do not plan to quit. I do not have a phone & do not plan to change that anytime soon. I will be making some buisness cards soon, but not just yet.

Now, with that said, I have decided to become a professional reader. I am swiftly building up a loyal clientelle, & I am finding myself holding actual conversations with my Devient Moon on my spare moments. We are finally on a level where we can both speak freely & be understood.
And understood we are, to the point where some people have been unnerved at the insight I have to them & thier lives.
And as many times as I tell people that I cam NOT a psychic, most of them don't believe me. That amuses me to no end.

Anyway, the reason I post this is I would like a bit of advice from those who have already reached this point, & perhaps even moved beyond it. I live in Central Florida, for those of you familiar with the area. I am currently seeking a place (NOT Cassadaga) that would be suitable to meet with clients as well as be seen by potential new clients. The local flea markets were suggested & I plan to look into those options soon.
But more than venue, I REFUSE to do the gypsy act. Fake romani accent, tons of bling, colorful scarf over my head. It's outdated. I also don't do other forms of divination, like palmistry or tea reading. It's just little old me & my cards. So, is there anything else I should do? A tablecloth is a must. I'll not have my cards on some dirty fleamarket table. I'm thinking maybe some incense (for relaxation) & maybe a candle if I'm outdoors.

Before I begin working at a market though, would there be any other appropriate venues? I do limited readings at work, & so far the rest of them are being done at a Steak & Shake or Dennys, since the servers in both places give me free food & tea in exchange for free readings & a bit of conversation, but it's far from professional. "Hey, want your tarot read? Come down to Steak & Shake at 1:30 am."

Sorry if this thread is a little hard to make sense of, my thoughts are a bit scattered. But all help is appreciated.

afrosaxon

Good luck on your decision to be a professional reader! :thumbsup:

I noticed that you are not yet a paid subscriber to AT; now would be a good time to do so, as the "Professional Tarot" section is chock full of advice (multiple threads worth) about the very things you asked: websites, business cards, drumming up business...even how to deal with challenging querents.

Just my $.02.

T.

Soothsayer

How about inviting clients to your home for readings? Or you could travel to their home, providing they are local. Just an idea.

rabidwolfie

I will invest in becoming a member when I can afford it. As for people coming to my home, I tend to be highly paranoid & teratorial. Same for going to another's home unless I know them. I would be insanely nervous & unable to concentrate. Thank you for the suggestions though, both of you.

epvitale

rabidwolfie said:
Before I begin working at a market though, would there be any other appropriate venues? I do limited readings at work, & so far the rest of them are being done at a Steak & Shake or Dennys, since the servers in both places give me free food & tea in exchange for free readings & a bit of conversation, but it's far from professional. "Hey, want your tarot read? Come down to Steak & Shake at 1:30 am."
To me it doesn't matter where you read, whether Steak & Shake or a corner office. There is no difference between a booth at Denny's or a booth at the local flea market, except maybe the amount of traffic. If you can get people to come down to S&S for a reading that's good for you and them.

I live in Northeast Florida (hi neighbor <waves>) and do most of my reading out of my apartment (friends and family) or through email or at work in the break room (a bit noisy though).

In addition to the flea markets have you check the local fairs and festivals?

On a kinda different note, I have heard a great deal about Cassadega but have never been there. What is your opinion of it?

Remember, you can set your shingle out anywhere. Good luck.

Gary

sweet_intuition

First of all, I wish you all the best on your venture into the world of pro tarot. A lot of people will give you a whole lot of advise here, which shall be extremely good and a lot of tips that will come in handy. However, my only advise would be to trust your gut feeling at the end of the day. If something "feels right" go for it. And whenever you feel "uncomfortable" reading for someone or doing any particular thing, make sure you put your foot down and stop it at once. Be true to yourself and do your best to help your querents with their queries. Also, drink plenty of water before during and after a reading.. room temperature preferably.. it helps calm the nerves, and (at least for me) helps gain those lil "intuitive flashes" that just enhance the reading altogether.

Also, never "undercharge" your services. Charge exactly whatever you feel your readings are worth. It helps!

Briar Rose

All the best to you!

How about eventually finding a smal round bistrol table that folds the top off to the side to make it portable, along with 2 fold down chairs? This way you are compeletly independant.

I know the upscale spa's around here have tarot readers. A lunch place and a book shop advertised a tarot reader.

Remember if you read outside with a tablecloth you might want to add weights to the end of the cloth.

Aww, I think scarfs and beads if accessorised right look Bohemian and that's very much in.

People with allergies might not like the incense. I like it though.

Best of luck to you!

mysticmonkey

How about a small notice displaying your rates?. Some people are comfortable with just asking but some people like to browse the prices first before engaging in conversation.

Cat*

rabidwolfie said:
I will invest in becoming a member when I can afford it.
There is a thread where anyone can nominate themselves (or others) for a sponsored subscription. :)

littlestar

catbaloo said:
How about a small notice displaying your rates?. Some people are comfortable with just asking but some people like to browse the prices first before engaging in conversation.

This is a very good point. Some people just arent comfortable with asking how much you charge.