Anyone interested in Ogham?

Bat Chicken

Thanks for the links, cardlady - the Spiritfold link has some sets unlike any others - all in British native trees. I got so sidetracked with the link, it took me 45 minutes to post this! :bugeyed: I made my own sticks, but if you cannot or want the British Trees - these are wonderful looking sets!

Does anyone have suggestions on what they would like to focus on? Or shall we get to work on adding whatever we can to the tree/letter threads first? There is a thread for each one via the "Table of Contents" link. Please feel free to add whatever you come across. Let's make the AT forum the encyclopaedia for Ogham! :D

cardlady22

I realize that this could make waves but is there a thread or list of authors who have taken a more "personal revelation" approach? Just to keep it in my mind as we compare sources? In just about every area that has picqued my interest, I get glowing recommendations on a particular author and then find the scholarly work that negates such-and-such. I do like to study both sides though!

As far as a structural framework goes, it appears to me that we are looking at groups of 5 symbols arranged according to pronunciation/mouth & palate placement. Which leads to the request for sound files or text descriptions of how to make the sounds for ourselves.

Bat Chicken

The book thread listed at the top of this thread offers books on all sides of the argument - and I am sure it is by far not complete. McManus is considered the academic source with the most credibility. Graves would be in the more 'personal relevation' category. However, the more I read about the sources of Tarot which is far newer, I doubt that the arguments will ever be cleared up definitively!

The Intro thread will also give you a rather detailed discussion on the various methods of interpreting ogham. The one you have suggested is only one of many!

If you find a source on sound - please add it to the links thread as I am sure it would be great to have! :D In my attempts to be organized I think I have covered the categories.... but I am not much more than a novice myself!

Bat Chicken

Fantastic link - Thanks Milfoil!! :D I don't know how I missed that... It has been added to the "Links" thread....

That link has an Australian Ogham - worth a look!

sapienza

I've referred to that Australian Ogham site when doing my own research. I just got back from a couple of days up near Noosa and have made some more progress with my own Ogham correspondences using native trees. When I get it into some order I may start a separate thread relating specifically to discussion and ideas of creating a set of Ogham correspondences for your own location......if that would be of any interest to anyone :)

Bat Chicken

Sounds good to me! Although I would encourage as much as possible in the existing threads in order to keep the info together. Ultimately it's up to you how you want to pursue it. One way or the other, make sure any new threads get put into the table of contents! :D

Sheri

sapienza said:
I've done some work already on coming up with Australian equivalents. I've found that here in Brisbane a lot of our 'favourite' trees are not actually natives at all, but rather introduced. So far I've gone along the path of trees of significance to my local area rather than strictly Australian natives. I'll try to find some time to type up my ideas so far and post when I can.

I have found the same situation where I live in the USA, too. I have also decided to use trees that are important to me and are local to my area (and yard in some cases :D), too, when I cannot find a tree from the original list.

:love: valeria

Bat Chicken

I have been offering alternative as I have been going in the tree/letter threads. The variation across North America is obviously quite remarkable! Half the fun is finding something that works for you... :)

crystal dawn

i made my own ogham set several years ago. I made them out of a terracotta coloured clay. There is a lovely gentle calming energy that emanates from them. I only have one of the books listed above though have quite a few that are not listed. The first of these that i brought was omens oghams and oracles by richard webster which i found really useful.

blessings

crystal dawn