Keywords for the Crowley Thoth

Macavity

Purchased this afternoon: "Keywords for the Crowley Thoth Tarot" by Hajo Banzhaf & Brigitte Theler. (Pub. Weiser Books: Available from Amazon etc.)

I came across this one by chance, while browsing a fairly indifferent Tarot section in a local bookstore. I have been looking for something (vaguely) equivalent to Joan Bunnings Book "Learning the Tarot" BUT for the Crowley Thoth Deck. This one seems to have many such good features. More than just "keywords", the authors produce a workable reference that saves ME having to flit back and forth between LWB and Book of Thoth :)

246pps. About 1/3 of the book is devoted to a fairly comprehensive introduction to Tarot. The remaining 2/3 is an illustrated card by card description, including (brief but useful) guide to Thoth symbolism and implied "keywords" with lengthier one-liner phrases applied to specific categories (professional etc.) Finally there's a "card of the day" too.

Described by one reviewer as Intermediate to Advanced, I'd say it was within the range of someone (like me!) with (now) a modest knowledge and seeking a ready reference for (especially!) those cryptic Thoth Minors? As a bonus, there are some rather nifty and new (to me anyway) spreads, including the intriguing "Secret of the High Priestess" :D

Macavity

Dakini

Is this book yellowish orange? I don't have this book but I have picked it up and looked at it several times at the bookstore. I didn't buy it cuz I don't own a thoth deck. I have thought about getting a thoth deck though. hmmm you think they are trying to tell me something? LOL Dakini

Sulis

I don`t actually own a Thoth deck but a lot of the decks I have are based on Thoth and use the same or similar keywords. Do you think that this book could be used with Thoth based decks or is it strictly for the Crowley deck? Like you Macavity I`ve been searching for a basic Thoth based book with no luck.

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

Emily

Hi Crystalmynx,

You've just asked the question I was going to ask lol - I have the Rohrig which is Thoth based, and I wonder if this book would be good with this deck? I've been looking around for a good Thoth based book too. :)

Macavity

Yes, it is the one with the orange cover. And yes, that's a very good question! :D I don't know how closely your other decks ARE based on the Thoth. I have a Thoth and e.g. Clive Barrett's Ancient Egyptian Tarot. This latter is really quite CLOSE in symbolism e.g. the court and major "character" has the same "belongings" (and symbolism) though usually a rather different (less abstract) represention than in the Thoth.

I think the problem might be (as ever?) the "pip" minors - and MY(!) main motivation for needing a book. The AE minors are illustrated and (imo) based on the Crowley minor card NAME? But even in the Book of Thoth, Crowley often describes only the "picture" and his divinatory meanings (if any) are very terse: "Seven of Disks - Bad Money" etc? Banzhaf makes considerably more of the symbolism and I would suggest these are compatible - but again different from the LWB!

Hmmm I've seen purists on another group object VIOLENTLY to any extension beyond the meaning of Crowley. But that seemed to be their wont generally (to object)! But since there is to my mind little (original) reference, I'm not sure of the basis for their conclusions?

My "Gut" reaction is that e.g. Clive Barrett's book is much better than Banzhaf's for his OWN (C.B.'s) deck. I would guess that would be (obviously?) true IF your deck comes with it's OWN book? I will have another look... and if I come up with something, I'll let ya know. I wouldn't count on that or indeed being particularly definitive. (Sorry ;))

I should perhaps leave this question OPEN for any takers!

Macavity (rambling)

P.S. I have found the AE (above) to be an invaluable "practice" for the Thoth - I don't think I'd have made much (rapid!) headway faced with a Thoth alone. So you too could be in a position of advantage!

Emily

I have just bought 'Keywords for the Crowley tarot' too, not for my Rohrig though but for my brand new standard sized none-green very attractive Thoth :) (I've had my hang-ups with the Large green version of the Thoth but this is a much better version).
I like the spreads in this book, most of them I've not seen before and there is even a very workable version of the Celtic cross. The keyword system is very like the one Nancy Garen uses in her books 'Tarot made easy' and the workbook 'Tarot according to you'. It also does make you look at the cards, its a nice book :)

Dakini

I quess I'll have to get the book now, I just got the Thoth deck last week. hehe

purplelady

I too have been greatly considering whether to buy "Keywords for the Crowley-Thoth Tarot", with the orange cover.

Right now I have the Large green Thoth deck, and the book "The Crowley Tarot" by Akron-Hajo Banzhaf. (purple cover) . It's a beautiful looking book. But the card descriptions , Especially for the majors , run at least 3 pages apiece, and contain an overwhelming amount of information , and then some. It analyzes every aspect of the picture and symbolism, and includes things like I-ching, rune, gemstone, music, quotations,astrology,deities,relationships,spirals, sabbath,and just goes on and on, and that's only part of it.
I think I would be overwhelmed trying to use it while doing a reading.

Years and years ago I used a thoth deck and we only owned one book. A small Eden Gray book with simple one paragraph explainations of the rider-waite deck! The internet sure changed things, didn't it?!

Anyhow, I'm considering buying the Swiss Thoth deck and the "Keywords" book to go with.

Emily

Hi Purplelady,

I also bought The Crowley Tarot by Banzhaf , the purple one, it certainly goes into some depth but I like it lol. I did get on with the Keywords for the Crowley tarot but wanted to see what kind of information was in The Crowley Tarot book. Ziegler's Mirror of the Soul and The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien are also good books, although the handbook is also very detailed, only just started reading that one lol :)

purplelady

Alright, now I've done it! I ordered the Swiss Crowley-Thoth deck , The "Keywords" book AND "The book of Thoth" by Crowley. Now I only wish I had more time to read all the books I have!
I'm not sure how "readable" the Book of Thoth is? But I always feel like buying it whenever I come across it in a bookstore. I also think I read it has very good illustrations.