The Dark Man in women's dreams

lunalafey

right to the page

I love it when I open books up like this!!!!
to expand...I can see how your dream is quite the parallel. In dreams we must put ourselves into the position of the other players, your daugher was more aware(psychic/intuition), thus you are more aware, the girl-friends she was looking out for, the rest of the women in the world.
facinating indeed.

Aoife

and now I'm puzzled...

Cerulean

To some, 'shadowy figure' might be very dark, as night.
I prefer the description 'shadowy male figure' or shadowy female figure...but what you will read below is actually silly, not frightening. Maybe one of the suggestions might help?

When I was very young, a ghostly figure that glowed or was of pale illumination actually was more scary--read, I felt guilty-- to me. When I was young, if I thought in a dream that the sihouette looked like my mother, I got a sneaky feeling of 'being caught' doing something silly, like painting on walls or leaving junk around. That meant I'd have to clean my mess up or go to bed soon, which was boring. So very young, the most scary silhouette was a thin woman whose shape was bulky with her towels on her head and her body, just fresh from a shower, asking me what was I doing up at night. The towels were a light color, her shadow was dark.

Fears of an octopus-like creature, or drowning associations and having spiders on my pillow when very young got less scary as I began to learn more about ocean life, insects and plants---I tried to use fearful symbols in dreams as exploration and as a learning point, little by little.

When I was older, on my own, once I might have seen a pale face at my first floor apartment window when waking up from a dream---hard to tell, as I was half asleep. That was when my first guy told me of a Peeping Tom in the neighborhood, so I closed my shutters afterwards.

In all cases, when I associative dreams about things that I don't like or have to figure out, it is usually a pale masculine figure. I'm actually trying to paint lighter figures now, so they have better associations...I actually become comforted to see shadowy silhouettes, as they usually form the shape of my grandfathers standing upright. I have the very friendly, relaxed feeling...remember though, we all have different associations with different shapes and sizes and silhouettes.

Tarotphelia

Aoife said:
a drum beats out a warning.

There's a predator on the loose

It is my job to protect my [teenage] daughter

the door is forced open.

His face is one of normality, his smile angelic, his intent pure evil.

[/B]

The above are key phrases taken out of context. They can be reflective of a few different things:

__You may be having anxiety over your daughter's age & wanting to protect her from the shadow side of predatory men that she may not have too much practical experience with.

__You may be picking up someone threatening trying to enter your psychic space.

__There may be a man in your life that you consciously trust, or want to. But something is telling you not to. Maybe you don't hear it.

Warning- predator - protect- evil.

Tarotphelia

Cerulean

link suggests a tarot/dream exercise

http://www.psy-center.com/tarot/lesson4.shtml

Basically, it suggests a four card draw at random. Each card will represent a self-discovery question related to the dream. Then, the reader should go through the deck and consciously choose one card that represents a 'theme' of the dream and place it in the first position of the spread.

Here are the five questions for positions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the spread:

What is the theme of the dream? (Place the card that you picked here)

What is the message of the dream? (Place the first of the random pick down here)

What past event does the dream relate to? (Place second card down)

My dream....(Place third card)

How shall I respond to the message of the dream (Place fourth card down)

This might be a good start in reflecting on the theme/messages of your dream.

If all this seems too much, maybe just jotting down notes and going back later (sometime next week) over your notes might suggest themes of study or points of learning. For me, a reoccuring motif or idea in a dream is usually my own mind trying to clue me in to what to study or look at next...the fact of me taking a concrete step to address my concerns helps, so it won't be bugging me in my sleep.

Hope these ideas help.