Chapter 20: The Event 11:22
Chapter 21: The Business of Tarot 9:48
Chapter 22: Reading with Majors Only 4:41
Chapter 23: A Spiritual Approach 15:45
Chapter 24: Toothpicks 3:42
Chapter 25: Readings from the Journal 21:16
Chapter 26: Rota 0:38

Baroli

Just a suggestion mind you, but we can take each chap. including prologue and just chew it over a little bit. Go through it a little at a time. There are things in these lovelys,... that perhaps some or none of us have thought of.

KarlThomas

Cat* said:
So we get to practice our calculation skills, add 2 + 6 to get 8, which immediately reminds us of the card that is either Justice or Strength, which brings us directly to one of the tarot world's favorite discussion topics...? :D

More seriously: Because a tarot deck usually consists of 22 majors + 4 suits?

(And why does it take me longer to find the easier answer?)

ETA: I'll be off to start re-reading the threads now...

I like both of these answers, Cat. Had been wondering about the 8 myself.

Any other ideas? 26 chapters. Its a starting point.

KarlThomas

Baroli said:
Just a suggestion mind you, but we can take each chap. including prologue and just chew it over a little bit. Go through it a little at a time. There are things in these lovelys,... that perhaps some or none of us have thought of.

A good one, Baroli! I didn't see your post just now.

With your permission, I'd like to start that with your post above in a seperate thread. Sulis wants to keep this organized by topic, and I think this will be "overview". We'll put the new thread in a sticky. Prologue is a solid beginning.

KarlThomas

26 is twice 13, I just noticed.

Cat*

KarlThomas said:
26 is twice 13, I just noticed.
Which gives us change - but also structure and stability (1+3=4). And three-dimensionality, also twice (maybe in a mirror?). All of which open up interesting webs of thought about tarot and tarot reading and the world in general. :)

Wow, seems like I finally start seeing the fun in numbers... :bugeyed: :D

KarlThomas

Some possible further lines of thought include the Death card, and, from your post, Cat, the Emperor.

Cat*

KarlThomas said:
Some possible further lines of thought include the Death card, and, from your post, Cat, the Emperor.
Oh, I had already though about both of them. Thus my associations in my first sentence of my previous post. :)

But please tell me about 13 as not being the number of the Death card if you have any thoughts on that! (I once wrote a poem called "Triskaidekaphilia" and trust you to find out what that means by yourself. :D)

KarlThomas

OK, fair enough Cat, and I did have to look that up. I know our first stabs at it are a little on the obvious side, but hey, we're stabbing, and that counts.

I had a smarter friend looking over my shoulder ask me "26? How many cards were added to a deck of playing cards to make a tarot deck?"

I'm working on the math. What else am I not seeing yet, in this choice

of 26 chapters?

Cat*

KarlThomas said:
OK, fair enough Cat, and I did have to look that up.
I just googled the term to see what you might have found (when I wrote the poem, I had just made up the term as the opposite of triskaidekaphobia) and was surprised to see that there's actually an (almost empty) website called "triskaidekaphilia" out there... I also loved reading what Wikipedia has to say about the number thirteen (I got a lot of my inspiration for the poem from that page). Rebellious little number, which at the same time fits so perfectly into a lot of cycles/systems/rows... Two have two of that must be pretty interesting.

What does 13 mean to you?

While I was wikipediazing anyway, I entered "26" and got this: "26 is the gematric number of the true name of god - Yahweh" (source: Wikipedia) - which brings us to Kabbalah / English Qabala / Hermetic Qabala, also quite related to tarot and numerology. (Since I haven't studied either of these, I only offer the respective Wikipedia pages as a starting point. Others here will probably know of better sources.)

KarlThomas said:
I know our first stabs at it are a little on the obvious side, but hey, we're stabbing, and that counts.
Maybe planting the information that there is a "secret" behind the 26 chapters is actually serving a pretty simple goal: To get everybody curious, to get us to think about 26/numbers, to have us do some research of our own, which hopefully will lead us to some interesting new connections and add to the web of tarot-thoughts we all have. :D

KarlThomas said:
What else am I not seeing yet, in this choice of 26 chapters?
26 letters in the alphabet - which gets me to think about the relation of language and tarot, language and numbers, language and images...

And where's everybody else? Have they solved the secret of the 26 already and we're the only ones not getting it, yet? ;)