Oh, those nine of swords.

deweydjb

I am really concerned. Monday I drew the nine of swords as my future. It looked bleak but I tried to move on as best I could. Today I drew the nine of swords as my future again but this time it was reversed.

I am not sure what all this could mean. I am trying not to worry. But isn't that partly what the nine of swords is trying to say? Am I thinking too much?

I am ready to pour salt on this deck and bury it!

PentQueen

While it's possible that this card is speaking about over-worrying, I often see the 9 of swords representing lack of sleep (sometimes all-nighters at work) for me.

Sorry, I can't really be of more help, but really, there are a variety of meanings...the cards aren't always as 'bad' as they might look!

214red

the reason i love tarot is that we can change the future, or accept it if we know about it.

the 9 of swords is also often just about our worry, not what actually is going to happen, its our fears, doesnt mean its something that will cause us nightmares, just that wwe will have them

MysticalMoose

Yes! ~ often the 9 of Swords can represent groundless fears, worrying about something too much without solid reason :)...It can also represent how things look & feel worse in the dark of night, y'know when all things swim round & round in your head & stop you from sleeping soundly.....it may tell you that something is being blown out of proportion or that you will be likely to do this...It's not such a bad card, it can just be warning you about doing the above ;)

Don't ruin a perfectly good deck because of this :)

Love B :love:

starrystarrynight

I wonder if it could mean that you will progress from the anxiety you will feel over whatever situation it is talking about (Nine of Swords upright) to getting past the worry stage by seeing that you were either worrying about nothing, or your worries had substance, but the situation that caused them is over (Nine of Swords, rx)

Edited To Add:

Another thought: The 9 of Swords can signify someone around you who is ill...so maybe you will have to deal with someone's illness (upright) which will then turn around and get better (reversed.)

Sophie

I'd also read that card as "worry about the future". In some circumstances, it can mean cruelty - either by you or against you - but the way you describe it, I would simply see "worrying himself cruelly about what might happen".

Sometimes, what you worry about can happen: but the worry is often worse than the experience of reality, even if what you feared has happened. That's because we torture ourselves so much with our minds.

Thirteen

Fudugazi said:
Sometimes, what you worry about can happen: but the worry is often worse than the experience of reality, even if what you feared has happened. That's because we torture ourselves so much with our minds.
Well said. Swords are also about communications. Given the internet and how much we all communicate--and miscommunicate these days, 9/Swords should be seen, I think, as less a terrifying card and more common. How many times have you had trouble going to sleep thinking about an e-mail you got or sent out and how to respond? Or posting on the internet trying to clear something up? Or just being in a pointless argument that, however upsetting, is still pointless?

As said, however, this doesn't *have* to be your future. If you see yourself being sucked into an internet argument--or any other type of argument, or someone comes up to tell you what they heard someone else saying about you, resist. Walk away. That way, you won't lose any sleep over it ;)

Firewind17

possible future

When I first began with tarot and astrology
back when the dinos were still roaming the
earth, we had a tendency to read as "this or that"
was what was going to happen, not so much
choice centered.

Now if I get a card that worries me in the future position
or outcome position I think, this is a possibilty if
I continue on this path, or this is just one of many
possiblieties, or I "can" change this.

It doesn't mean that sometimes the cards really don't
hit you with an uncanny exact reading, not saying
that, but just that if we can look at the layout and
study it, see what patterns of ours we might be able
to change about the layout, we very well may be
able to let it just be a warning that perhaps we need
to do something differently (like get more sleep, or go
back to that person we may have miscommunicated with
and try to be more clear or use our hearts a little more
re: the communication.)

My own personal belief is that in most cases we do have
free will and I treat the cards as a suggestion, a possible
direction if I don't change something, or a happy outlook
if I stay on the path I'm following. Just my own personal
outlook. warmly, sharon

Lysh

I use to fear cards that seemed 'negative'. I have learned to stop fearing and accept and bless the message (at least I try too!) ....9 of swords....I have gotten that so many times! However, I deal with anxiety and for me it was a message that I might have the tendency to see things worse than they are and that half time I create my 'own nightmares' because of it. You might just have to be careful of your own internal thoughts and communications that might make things worse than they really are.

katherienp

Nine of swords

I usually interpret nine of swords as a couple of things, one, problems with either your mother or mother in law, illness if by any health cards, and hoplessness of a situation the situation is usully depited in the next card..
ie) nine of swords and lovers
hoplessness in a relationhip, perhaps having to make a desicion ect.
At times it can mean you are in fact having a negative perspective....

sometimes even a sudden tradegy if by the tower ...

Blessings,
Katherien