Suggestions for a good Rune book?

Liz C

Hi Everyone,

My mother is rather interested in Runes, and so for her birthday I thought it would be nice to get her a really thorough and well-written book on Runes. She has one book but it is a bit small, and whilst it's a good intro, I thought it was time to get her something a bit more 'meaty'.

What would you recommend as an excellent Runes book - well-written and thorough, with lots to read? A really good reference book.

I will definitely be buying her something, so your recommendations will be well received!

I only get access to the computer around once a week, so many thanks in advance for your suggestions, and I will reply in the next week or so.

Thanks,
Liz

Sophie

Here are three I own and work with regularly:

- Diana Paxson, Taking up the Runes is an excellent all-rounder. It's well written and definitely meaty.

- Another good one is: Nordic Runes, by Paul Rhys Mountfort - this one is good on mythology and divination.

- The best short book on the runes that I've found is The Rune Primer: A Down to Earth Guide to the Runes, by Sweyn Plowright. Not as in-depth as you might be looking for as a present to your mother, but definitely one to own.

One I don't own yet but have on my wish-list as a definite is The Serpent and The Eagle: An Introduction to the Elder Runic Tradition, by Chris Travers, who incidentally is a member of this forum who has written on all nearly the rune threads.

Anything by Edred Thorsson is worth reading, but his approach is heavily heathen/magical. I have found him most inspiring on vocalisation.

Satori

This is a link for the book Leaves of Yggdrasil by Freya Aswynn. She also has a book about Runes and the feminine, and I warn you, she is very intense about the Runes. She is strong into the mythology and writes about magical work with the pantheon associated with the Runes. Interesting and scholarly.

Umbrae

After reading many Rune books, and unfortunaly actually recommending a couple, there’s really only one I can suggest: "The Serpent and The Eagle: An Introduction to the Elder Runic Tradition", by Chris Travers

Rede Seeker

Runes for Transformation - Using Ancient Symbols to Change Your Life

Serpent and the Eagle and Runes for Transformation (by Kaedrich Olsen) are the best new books on the subject.

Thorsson's Runelore is a classic and still available.

Liz C

Thanks everyone, I will look into these.

I should probably have noted that Mum is a bit of a beginner (although she has been doing mini readings for a while with her intro book). She is most interested in divination for personal use.

I'll check back later to see if there are anymore suggestions :)

silverwings94

Satori,
Can you tell me the name of the bood about Runes and the Feminine? It sounds very interesting.
Thanks,
Kat

Satori said:
This is a link for the book Leaves of Yggdrasil by Freya Aswynn. She also has a book about Runes and the feminine, and I warn you, she is very intense about the Runes. She is strong into the mythology and writes about magical work with the pantheon associated with the Runes. Interesting and scholarly.

cardlady22

Freya Aswynn

I think that Leaves of Yggdrasil was repackaged as Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers

Does anyone know if her Power and Principles of the Runes ISBN: 187045023X is the same/updated version of Principles of Runes ISBN: 0722538839

Satori

yes, cardlady is right, it was a new look for the old book.

The Rune master has spoken. If Umbrae says that the Travers book has merit, I'd start there. There is one thing I know, if it is a book recommendation from Umbrae, you don't want to ignore it. (And I'm not saying that just to humor the ol' coot. I mean it.) :bugeyed: Though redeseeker is no slouch...

Are you guys talking about the same book?