Suggestions for a good Rune book?

Aulruna

I was just about to add - start with the Eddas, but Bee beat me to it :D

It is worth to look for a version where the translation actually speaks to you.

For me, this is the foundation of Runic knowledge.

Bernice

Aulruna said:
I was just about to add - start with the Eddas, but Bee beat me to it :D

It is worth to look for a version where the translation actually speaks to you.

For me, this is the foundation of Runic knowledge.
I endorse this (bolded text)!

And yes, the translations can & do make a difference. It's probably worth comparing them to get a clearer/better idea of what is being conveyed.

A glaring example of different 'translations' is the Rubaiyat of Omar Khyamam. The popular poetic version is well known, but the actual translation is far more prosaic and down-to-earth.

Bee :)

greatdane

Great Suggestions re Books

Thank you all! I've compiled my list and thanks to the person who started the threads re rune books!

GD

faunabay

Which book has a good understanding of the folklore stories? You know the base story you told in our Rune class Aulruna? A book that will give me the stories and more information about Aesir, Ymir, Odin, Villi, Ve, etc. How the world was destroyed and reformed.......

faunabay

Oh wait, is that what the Eddas are? But when I went to amazon there seems to be 2 or 3 different types?????

Nevermind....I think I've anwered my own question. :rolleyes: LOL I should have looked more closely before asking. LOL

rachelcat

Reviving this thread because cardlady linked to it in the other rune thread!

I decided to get a little more serious about runes, so I'm reading Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers by Freya Aswynn, which is quite good (and very serious about the gods and goddesses, as someone mentioned).

And in conjunction, I read this free book about Northern myths: TEUTONIC MYTH AND LEGEND by Donald A. Mackenzie, An Introduction to the Eddas & Sagas, Beowulf, The Nibelungenlied, etc. [1912?]. http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/tml/index.htm

I got kind of discouraged by the time I got to the end of the book because it had a lot of stories about people who only care about killing people. But the beginning, with creation myths, etc., was very helpful to understand Northern Mysteries.

I should probably get more academic and look for translations of the Eddas, Sagas, etc. But, hey, this book is free!

Lewen

Which book has a good understanding of the folklore stories? You know the base story you told in our Rune class Aulruna? A book that will give me the stories and more information about Aesir, Ymir, Odin, Villi, Ve, etc. How the world was destroyed and reformed.......

A good book that is a great retelling of the Folklore stories is "The Norse Myths" by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Hope this helps! :)

Satori

What do people think of the Runes of Elfland? Is that a stand alone book, or does it in any way parallel the Nordic trad?

crystal dawn

two ideal first books

the complete and illustrated guide to runes by nigel pennick - element books

the illustrated guide to runes by jonathan dee

both of these books are cram packed of good easy to digest information on runes and are very well illustrated.

Some of the other books mentioned in this post may be a little dry and hard going for a first book. Either of the above two would make an ideal first book.

blessed be

crystal dawn