homemade oracle cards

Simsy

hi all

I dont know if i am posting this in the right spot, But i want to make my own oracle deck i have three ideas in my mind at the moment but i do not know how to go about making the deck .

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions to help me get a better sense of what i need to do to work on this it will be greatly appreated as i've had this idea to work on my own oracle deck for awhile.

:love:

Simsy

ps.if it isnt in the right forum please mods move this to the correct forum.

Chronata

Hi Simsy!

The first step is to take a deep breath! The hardest part about creating your own oracle, is really just getting started!

You have three ideas in mind, soI would suggest the first thing to do is focus. Do these three ideas work together, or are they three seperate deck ideas?
Take the one that feels the most exciting right now to start with. Focus on this project, and let the others go for the moment. It is best to work on one at a time.

Does this oracle idea have a system? Or does it have a theme? These are all good questions to ask yourself right now. Are you going to illustrate it yourself? or use photos or existing artwork? Do you want to make this deck for yourself as a personal oracle? or are you hoping for interest from others?(a deck to possibly sell)

Write down everything. Know that you will need a guide for your deck...even if it's only for you. You will want to write down every idea, what every card will mean, whether they will have different menaings if they are reversed, and spreads that can be used with your cards.

Once you have these questions answered it's easier to get started, and try to make it into a reality.

Most good oracles have a system. They are based on something (positive keywords, astrology, the works of a famous author, Goddess in different cultures...to give you some idea) and the pictures are usually important. (although I know of a few great oracles that simply contain words)

Each card will be a symbol (or many) that suggest the meaning you wnat to convey. That's why it's a good idea to start with making a list of all the symbols and meanings that you want to use within your overall theme.

I wish you luck on your project! It takles a lot of work, but usually the results are worth it.

canid

Simsy, if you're looking for practical advice on materials, there are a lot of tips in Tarot Deck Creation. In one of the stickies.

Simsy

Thanks!

canid said:
Simsy, if you're looking for practical advice on materials, there are a lot of tips in Tarot Deck Creation. In one of the stickies.

oh i completely forgot about that!!!

thanks canid for reminding me :)

Simsy