Ethics on Where to Read Cards

direwolf336

Hello All,

I came upon a interesting situation the other day. I asked a friend of mine if I could do a reading for her as practice for myself. She agreed as she thought it could be interesting. However, we needed a location because she lives with her mother who is rather eccentric and does not allow people into the the apt and unfortunately we could not use my place. So I suggested that we go to a restaurant or the library to do this and she was very much against this saying that it was to personal of a thing to do in public.

I respected her and did not try to talk he into it, but I was curious about what people think of this in general about readings in public places.

Jason

Thirteen

direwolf336 said:
I respected her and did not try to talk he into it, but I was curious about what people think of this in general about readings in public places.
I used to do readings in a coffee house, but the people there knew me, were friendly, and open to tarot card readings. The question isn't really about ethics, so much as what a querent is comfortable with, and what the community in that public place will be comfortable with. Which is to say, will the other people in that restaurant or coffee house stare at you or will it be no big deal to them? I certainly would be leery about doing readings in a restaurant if I was in an evangelical christian town and likely to be interrupted by people glaring at me and telling me I was doing something evil. Or even being told by a waitress or manager to stop doing the reading.

I'd be fine if it was a New Age restaurant and everyone around me was reading or talking metaphysics ;)

Seafra

I'm with 13 -- it isn't a question of ethics but a question of the comfort level of your querent and the place of business. There's that old saying "there's a time and a place for everything."

I work in a hotel. I read tarot cards. I've read cards in the back office. I have to say that if a guest came into the lobby and hauled out a deck I'd tell them to take it to their room. At that point in time I'm *not* a tarot card reader but a manager who has to take into consideration the comfort of our guests.

How about reading in a car (if either of you have one)? They are private rooms on wheels when you think about it. ;)

214red

i dont know about the weather were you are, but parks are always good.

I must admit to reading everywhere and not really taking notice of other peoples comfort level (only in the office i worry about that), if people have an issue with tarot thats their problem...i don't complain when someone whips out a bible, or a copy of vogue, or a nintendo DS or PSP (and i hate game consoles).

Seafra

214red said:
if people have an issue with tarot thats their problem...

Speaking as a manager now -- it's my problem if guests have an issue with tarot reading going on in the lobby. It would certainly be my *bigger* problem if someone contacted the owner to complain that tarot card reading was going on in his lobby and I wasn't addressing their discomfort with same. Bet to nip any problem in the bud.

I wouldn't allow guests to stump for any type of religious creed or even leave secular pamphlets there either though.

A park is neutral and a perfect setting unless you are doing it for money and it is against local ordinances. You might run into some discomfort yourself if that's the case. Again, your sitter has to feel comfortable about ... shall we say 'being associated with tarot' in public.

214red

Seafra said:
Speaking as a manager now -- it's my problem if guests have an issue with tarot reading going on in the lobby. It would certainly be my *bigger* problem if someone contacted the owner to complain that tarot card reading was going on in his lobby and I wasn't addressing their discomfort with same.

I wouldn't allow guests to stump for any type of religious creed or even leave secular pamphlets there either though.

A park is neutral and a perfect setting unless you are doing it for money and it is against local ordinances. You might run into some discomfort yourself if that's the case. Again, your sitter has to feel comfortable about ... shall we say 'being associated with tarot' in public.
i understand, however if i was a guest in the hotel then i would expect to be able to read in the lobby just as i would read a newspaper, i wouldn't bother other guests by soliciting them, however i would take offense if i was told to take it away to somewhere else. I am not religious, so if anyone can play solitare in the lobby then i can play with my cards...its the same thing

Seafra

214red said:
I am not religious, so if anyone can play solitare in the lobby then i can play with my cards...its the same thing
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree here. I would never equate playing solitaire or reading a newspaper with reading tarot cards. :)

214red

Seafra said:
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree here. I would never equate playing solitaire or reading a newspaper with reading tarot cards. :)
i think thats the problem with people and tarot cards sometimes, i see them as pieces of cards (pretty cards i am attached too) but cards all the same. I am not religious, and therefore my cards dont hold any religious value to me so if i wanted to i might play solitare with them i would.

if a guest complains then your in between rock and a hard place, were both guests so someone is going to not return to your hotel. I read everywhere i can, i don't shove it peoples faces, but i dont see why i should hide in a corner either thats unnecessary censorship. reading for others is slightly different, esp if your exchanging monies onsite.

Seafra

214red said:
i think thats the problem with people and tarot cards sometimes, i see them as pieces of cards (pretty cards i am attached too) but cards all the same. I am not religious, and therefore my cards dont hold any religious value to me so if i wanted to i might play solitare with them i would.

Not everyone agrees with this view. IMO there are times when we must be just as concerned with the sensativities of others as we are with our own.

When I was breastfeeding my children I did so in corner resturant tables after notifying the waitress seating us of what I would be doing. I was not hiding in a corner so much as being sensative to the feelings of others. :)

214red

Seafra said:
Not everyone agrees with this view. IMO there are times when we must be just as concerned with the sensitivities of others as we are with our own.

When I was breastfeeding my children I did so in corner restaurant tables after notifying the waitress seating us of what I would be doing. I was not hiding in a corner so much as being sensative to the feelings of others. :)

i agree with being sensitive, but i think you should have been able to breastfeed where you want (most mothers are discreet when doing this), if this offends other people its really their issue not yours....and i hate the fact people complain about it, whats their issue (i dont have kids)

i am sensitive to others, but cards are cards to me and as long as i am not interfering with other people then really its not their concern, why should we allow others to dictate to us like that? if we don't stand our ground sometimes then we are agreeing that there is something wrong with tarot.