Ethics on Where to Read Cards

Seafra

214red said:
Okay I am not aiming to offend anyone,
But, you see, you CAN and DO offend people whether or not it is your aim. Do you have any idea how many posters here are Christians? You have made my point.

Best place I ever read was a college ratskeller (bar). Do they even call them that anymore? But I was reading for free (beers).

morticia monroe

All I'm saying is,, Why be a sh**starter?

Most of us have sense. Look around you. Assess your situation. If there is the slightest thought that maybe it could cause a problem (regardless of whether it be YOUR problem or THEIRS), then don't do it. Maybe you DO have a legal right. Maybe you DO have a moral right.,,,,but you're making others uncomfortable or even causing unneccessary trouble for someone like seafra.

It's called taking the high road. :)

214red

gregory said:
Yeah - starbucks - to give them credit for something - seem to be very relaxed about it. I wouldn't use Costas myself, as I loathe their coffee :D. I'm not wild about Starbucks coffee either, but it's better !

Don't laugh TOO hard - but the most anonymous place I know is Tescos cafeteria. Four of us from here had a lovely discussion of all things weird, from auras to soul retrieval, and no-one seemed to overhear a thing. Everyone there is in such a hurry that if you use a corner table, no-one will have TIME to notice !

actually thats a great idea, might have to try it! i think costas and starbucks are both the same coffee wise, best of a bad bunch but good for tarot!

also the secrets to starbucks is to buy and register their cards, and then you get special coupons through the post and saves you lots of money ....i had one recently for free coffees for a month basically after 2pm, so i used to go there to practice by myself and not spend a penny!

Seafra

morticia monroe said:
.,,,,but you're making others uncomfortable or even causing unneccessary trouble for someone like seafra.

YES! Thank you morticia :D It's the dang s&*t starters that make people in the hospitality business rather ... inhospitable lol

214red

Seafra said:
But, you see, you CAN and DO offend people whether or not it is your aim. Do you have any idea how many posters here are Christians? You have made my point.

Best place I ever read was a college ratskeller (bar). Do they even call them that anymore? But I was reading for free (beers).
i like the idea of a rink!

My families are Christians they believe in the bible and I respect that and others that do, I don't so I see the bible not as a holy book but as just a book...that's not demeaning their religions at all.

I am not allowed to say I don't see the bible as sacred, and tarot are just cards...why not? as a Christian you see the book differently, I respect that, and understand...but people don't understand that I don't see it that way?

I am not stirring **** I just have an opinion and its not the opinion some people want to hear so they are upset.

Everyone has the right to their beliefs without being persecuted, that works both ways.if i agree to respect yours, you need to respect mine.

i only used the bible to illistrate a point about what 'society' deems appropriate and what it doesnt, that doesnt mean that 'society' is right.

Its like people think I am a muck raker going round trying to sell tarot, and put off christians?? I have never ever been asked to leave somewhere because of tarot because I don’t bother anyone, I am a normal customer, I am polite, I don’t disturb people I mind my own business.

gregory

So you don't see the bible or the cards as anything special. Fine - but others do. And some are scared about the cards (and hacked off about people who push either one.)

It isn't your views that present an issue; it is (apparently) what you do that upsets. If you HAVE ever read somewhere that you caused offence and not stopped without an argument when asked to - you do all of us a disservice.

(well, not me, as I don't read f2f, but those who do !)

Seafra

214red said:
Everyone has the right to their beliefs without being persecuted, that works both ways.if i agree to respect yours, you need to respect mine.

You are saying that now but you weren't saying that earlier. You weren't being respectful of other beliefs IMO nor the position I am in as a manager and I see justifications here.

i only used the bible to illistrate a point about what 'society' deems appropriate and what it doesnt, that doesnt mean that 'society' is right.

That isn't how you came across at all. I don't mean to browbeat you but I think you really need to go back and read what you posted. Read this entire thread with your eyes fully open. You may see things you never saw about your own opinions before. There's the possibility that in the heat of the moment you said things you didn't mean, acted 'intemperate' if you will. Text is a tough medium.

Good luck finding a spot ! :)

morticia monroe

214red said:
I am not stirring **** I just have an opinion and its not the opinion some people want to hear so they are upset.

I absolutely agree. And hope I didn't offend anyone with my use of the term, my intent was not to call anyone names.

It's one planet, many many many share it. I simply mean that in order to do unto others, there are times when consideration for others requires that we acquiesce. It's character-building, and doesn't matter if they return the favor. Karma will. :)

That being said, I DO see both sides of the issue, and each are very legitimate (in my eyes). I can only state what I would do in the situation.

Peace

direwolf336

Ok, so this is my question then specifically directed towards Seafra. I apologize in advance if you have stated this already, but I dont remember seeing this. Would you ask someone to put up their Bible if you saw them reading it in the lobby or cafe of your hotel?

gregory

Sorry to jump in - but as I have said - that isn't the same. I feel sure no-one would make someone go away for READING A TAROT BOOK in the foyer. But reading cards is different. If someone were reading the bible aloud in a foyer - I would hope they would be removed. That is the closest comparison there is here.

Reading a book is not in the same class as reading cards; I'm sorry - but it isn't. It won't alarm anyone. And there is no getting away from it - the sight of tarot cards DOES alarm some people - however illogical this may seem to SENSIBLE people like us !