All new de-enabling thread

nisaba

<instantly repentant> Sorry, ma'am. Just doing my job. In my defence, I *did say:

...I am sick to the back teeth with twenty-first century youngsters who have only known Tarot for the last thirty or forty years of their lives...

sapienza

Alta said:
sigh. I do get this thread, honest. But I convinced Robert Place to sign up to ATF at the Readers Studio and he did yesterday. And trust me, he isn't shallow.

I'm with you on this one Alta.....I regard Robert Place so highly that I'd get just about anything he does. His work has had a massive impact on my understanding of tarot. My big issue right now is money. Postage costs and exchange rate issues are the down side of life down under.

nisaba said:
and the second question, if the images were blown up as full-sized paintings, could you live with them hung on the walls of your home for more than five years?

ABSOLUTELY YES. In fact, if money was no object I'd order the art size prints and have the lot of them framed and hung around my house. Which reminds me, I must get a ticket in that lotto superdraw next weekend :)

Aerin

Alta said:
sigh. I do get this thread, honest. But I convinced Robert Place to sign up to ATF at the Readers Studio and he did yesterday. And trust me, he isn't shallow.

But in this thread you've got to at least admit that all his images look pretty much the same. If you mixed them up from different decks they are all fairly blah and you can tell he makes money from drawing logos

http://thealchemicalegg.com/Logos.html

Do you REALLY need another bunch of logos?

or adverts for ATMs?

http://thealchemicalegg.com/Illustration.html

Also, everyone always looks very bored indeed

http://thealchemicalegg.com/Tarot.html

Aerin

ps I'm also bitter because the only image I really liked was the moon in this deck http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/angels/ and I would have bought it as a print but there wasn't one so I ended up MASSIVELY overpaying to get the deck, against advice here I may add. I even e-mailed to try and get it.

nisaba

<laughter> And here was me, trying to stay on topic for the thread. I give up ... <grin>

SolSionnach

sapienza said:
I'd love both of them as well....but add shipping to Australia and it's pure madness. Perhaps someone can try de-enabling us. Go on, I dare you.....I'm sure it just won't be possible :)
:bugeyed: Shippng to OZ? eeep. Makes shipping to Texas look... well... like a bargain! You have my condolences... :(
gregory said:
The 7fold thingy has MISPRINTS - one even ON AN IMAGE. :bugeyed: And they aren't cards but whacking great pictures like a portfolio. Even I am not buying it.....
a) I want cards and b) I feel sure he will at least correct the misprints. I can't even have a card reading "As above do below...." in the house...
As above do below? lol. I did find that on the Magician card. I see your point about wanting *cards* - but the annotations would be too small to read if it were so. I think that's the point. As far as you not buying it... well... Scion did!
gregory said:
(re: 2 copies of the Mystical Lenormand) Now that's just silly. Can you use two at the same time ???
What a cool idea! Or you could pull significator cards from one of the decks, and then that card could show up in a spread again! Besides, we all need spares of our fav decks, right?
jackdaw* said:
I don't think that's the Cary Sheet, I think it is the Rosenwald or Dick Sheet or something ... forget now and can't be bothered to go dig it up. But it's far too bright and gaudy. And it's majors-only. And the Sevenfold Mystery? Hold out for the usable DECK.
Okay, I guess it's not the Cary sheet. And it is bright - but it's so whimsical? (I do wonder what size the cards will be...)
Le Fanu said:
I really expected it to be nicer. Looks just like the Dame Fortune's Wheel same colouring and everything. {snip}

(what a funny thing to desire...) ;)
lol Le Fanu. The images from DFW are from the Charles VI, while these are from ... well, something else. And DFW has such awful backgrounds, and pips that are a mixture of RWS and.. well... something else. :rolleyes: These are so whimsical! (although, if Scion was right, they will be offered at $150. :bugeyed:
nisaba said:
Me? Want them? Er ... I think not (said Descartes, and promptly disappeared in a puff of paradox).

I guess there are two questions that should be asked of decks when you are seriously thinking of adding them to your wish-list: do you think they will work well as a deck that is will you use them in preference to one of your already-existing decks; and the second question, if the images were blown up as full-sized paintings, could you live with them hung on the walls of your home for more than five years?

The answer to both questions, sadly, did not start with a Y.
First Q: this deck would not be a working deck - it is a study deck, AFAIK. And as full-size paintings - just look at that temperance card! Yes, on both counts.
Alta said:
Oh yes, Robert is a genius. Hopefully he won't see this thread! We are so cruel here...

I suppose my question about both decks is: will they eventually be released as 78-card reading decks, and if so, will they (pretty please!!!) use pips?

Le Fanu

ahem... I hardly ever ask for help here. But just a couple of decks which are really niggling at me....

Psycards with book. And don't, please, just lay into the art, it never de-enables me. I know the art isn't great, but I just really quite fancy it as an Oracle. Haven't got into an oracle for ages, and this is one I keep coming back to...

And I think I want a back up Ancient Italian (LoS). I had one and traded it. I also have a weird, probably rare, Ancient Italian with Scarabeo multilingual titles, but I never use that one because it is uglified with the titles. There is the beginnings of a scramble over on the thread of this name. Is it OOP? Can it still be found? Is it getting HTF?

It is a deck I love and I would feel happier with a spare. Why did I let go of my first spare? because Sapienza wanted it and I know it isn't easy to ship for her, and she had the Estensi which I wanted. I don't regret it (and she loves it and uses it, so that's great), but I just keep thinking I should get another one while I can...

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
ahem... I hardly ever ask for help here. But just a couple of decks which are really niggling at me....
It is a deck I love and I would feel happier with a spare. Why did I let go of my first spare? because Sapienza wanted it and I know it isn't easy to ship for her, and she had the Estensi which I wanted. I don't regret it (and she loves it and uses it, so that's great), but I just keep thinking I should get another one while I can...
Fie on you, lad! With all those worthy, luscious, loveable decks you don't own and really, really need to own ... you're pining to waste valuable deck-buying money on a DUPLICATE???

<walks away in a daze, shaking her head sadly>

Debra

duplicates = hoarding

Psycards are neither tarot nor oracle. Just pictures.

sapienza

Le Fanu, I have the Psycards, but not the book. I like the idea of them, but never use them. I actually love the artwork, but I don't use them because I feel like some of the cards are quite negative and really difficult to put a positive spin on, such as 'the liar', 'prison' and 'destruction'. Also, you have 'yes', 'no', 'now' and 'never' cards which make absolutely NO sense in readings. I guess it might seem like a good idea, but with all the gorgeous decks you have I think using this one would be a complete waste of your time.

As for the Ancient Italian.....you know what I think :D I'm saying NOTHING here though.

Le Fanu

OK... I de-enabled myself on the Psycards. just a passing phase mid-afternoon... Gone now. No desire remains!

"worthy, luscious, lovable decks which don't own" nisaba??? How so? Try as I might I cannot find any such decks. If they're worth owning, Im sure I own them already! :D :D :D

Im always up for buying more decks, but Im at the stage now where it's either new releases or duplicates or better editions. Insane really and - yes - Debra, hoarding plain and simple.

And the main reason I love my Ancient Italian is because it is so well-thumbed. A new and pristine one really would mean very little to me...

Im halfway there... Bear with me. I shall be de-enabled by morning...