All new de-enabling thread

SolSionnach

Chronata said:
The Zerner Farber is the weird close ups of just part of the huge tapestries that make up the Enchanted tarot.

I used to own them both...and in my opinion, the Zerner Farber...much of the time...chooses to showcase the least intersting thing about the original tapestry. And yeah...the focus is bad on some of them...like they took an original grainy photo and zoomed in with lousy results.

Pass on the ZF.
Except for the Moon card - OF COURSE!!! IT HAS A POODLE IN IT!

ahem

Even with my love of all things poodley, I sold the deck. Just look at that Sun card. Yeeeeech. :mad:

LittleGoblin

call me ZF de-enabled.

cardlady22

Help Prevent (or narrow) The B'Day Spree!

OK, I went browsing on albideuter.de for variations of the Six of Swords and all these decks started jumping up at me! My birthday is toward the end of June so I have time. Tell me why these decks just won't do when I already have so many undiscovered!!!!
54 in less than ONE year means I'll be looking at them for at least 4 years.

Ananda

Mystic Dreamer

Tarot of the Ages *this is the one I'm really drawn to* BE GONE!

Universal Wirth *work hard because I'm an LS addict*

SolSionnach

cardlady22 said:
OK, I went browsing on albideuter.de for variations of the Six of Swords and all these decks started jumping up at me! My birthday is toward the end of June so I have time. Tell me why these decks just won't do when I already have so many undiscovered!!!!
54 in less than ONE year means I'll be looking at them for at least 4 years.

Ananda

Mystic Dreamer

Tarot of the Ages *this is the one I'm really drawn to*

Universal Wirth *work hard because I'm an LS addict*
Darnit, I looked at all those decks, too... and am reconsidering some purchases. But I'm not going to post here just yet.

SolSionnach

Okay. That wench, Morticia Monroe, just informed me that TG has gotten the Golden Rider back in stock.

I really REALLY want this deck! Get out your knives and pitchforks, because that's what it's going to take to deenable me.

Okay. Give me your best shot.

cardlady22

Tarot of the Ages!!

I'm still scratching my head wondering why I want this one. Perhaps I'm dreading the coming summer months and wish to vicariously "live naked" like so many of them are?

jackdaw*

I have the Golden Rider, and I love it. But there are many reasons you don't want it, sravana ...

Yuck backs.
Thick oil paint medium means that there is no such thing as fine detail in this deck!
(I think due again to the medium) the faces are very crude.
Colours are very flat, this is not a three-dimensional deck.

When all is said and done, this is still just another Rider-Waite clone. And not one of the better ones.

cardlady22

It's just the oils, dear! We're so used to watercolour and/or pencil type illustration.

The Golden Rider is the Renaissance done in 80's makeup. Too much eyeshadow on the ladies . . . men's faces that are just too beautiful to be masculine . . . the only thing missing is the long locks of the rock bands!

SolSionnach

jackdaw* said:
I have the Golden Rider, and I love it. But there are many reasons you don't want it, sravana ...

Yuck backs.
Thick oil paint medium means that there is no such thing as fine detail in this deck!
(I think due again to the medium) the faces are very crude.
Colours are very flat, this is not a three-dimensional deck.

When all is said and done, this is still just another Rider-Waite clone. And not one of the better ones.
Backs: yes, they are awful. But not nearly as bad as the Haindl!
No fine detail: I rather like that idea. Kind of an "International Icon Tarot"-lite. I'm trying to get away from seeing every little detail (hello - THOTH - I'm looking at you!) and into a more broad, global way of reading.
Lack of faces: well, some of them are an improvement that way! (the Star is a notable exception. Oh well)
3-Dimensional: I've yet to see a deck of 78 cards that is in more than the usual 2 dimensions! .. :)

Actually, I know what you mean there...

NEXT!

SolSionnach

cardlady22 said:
It's just the oils, dear! We're so used to watercolour and/or pencil type illustration.

The Golden Rider is the Renaissance done in 80's makeup. Too much eyeshadow on the ladies . . . men's faces that are just too beautiful to be masculine . . . the only thing missing is the long locks of the rock bands!
:D

My first glance at the empress: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/162/Golden_Rider#7.jpg almost put me off the deck with her blue eyeshadow. Heck, I remember wearing that stuff (in a hideous glittered lipstick-style applicator!) in high school.. :bugeyed:

Ya gotta do better than that... :)