All new de-enabling thread

cardlady22

sravana said:
Heck, I remember wearing that stuff (in a hideous glittered lipstick-style applicator!) in high school.. :bugeyed:

In my book, there is nothing more hideous than having to go to high school . . . especially during the 80s. Are you the type of girl who fondly longs for those class reunions?

The Queen of Cups looks like she's holding an evil robot-thing that is about to spring to life and . . . shudder!

SolSionnach

cardlady22 said:
In my book, there is nothing more hideous than having to go to high school . . . especially during the 80s. Are you the type of girl who fondly longs for those class reunions?

The Queen of Cups looks like she's holding an evil robot-thing that is about to spring to life and . . . shudder!
HS reunions? ick ick ick HS was awful.

QC does look a wee bit leery of that cup! Of course, that's just the usual RW queen's cup.

http://www.albideuter.de/html/kelche_konigin.html

Interesting thing about that website - I find that 2 of the decks that I've had and loved forever - Cosmic and Haindl - really do go by the wayside in the comparisons! Now, of course, I've discovered a couple of decks that I have to have - the Golden Rider being the first on the list!

Le Fanu

sravana said:
Okay. That wench, Morticia Monroe, just informed me that TG has gotten the Golden Rider back in stock.

I really REALLY want this deck! Get out your knives and pitchforks, because that's what it's going to take to deenable me.

Okay. Give me your best shot.

*in a daze* Are you really contemplating the Golden Rider? You of "quality tastes" ?

I bought the Golden Rider because I had a shelf-ful of RWS clones and knew that if I didn't buy this one it would niggle. So I just had to have it.

It is hilarious. I couldn't get over it when I took it out of the box. Id seen it on taroteca or somewhere, but nothing could have prepared me for the flatness of it. And the daubing! The wonky-eyed devil with eye-liner which looks like it was shakily put on by someone suffering from withdrawal symptoms of god-knows what drugs.

I mean I suppose it is actually quite innovative in that it does a copy of something by deliberately doing worse art, unlike Hanson-Roberts who tried to improve it. (so no threat of copyright issues from US Games) I give them credit for that. But it's the faces and the lack of shading and subtlety.

Did the artist not know that you can actually buy extra-fine paintbrushes - sometimes of two or three hairs - from purveyers of Fine Art materials in order to do delicate detail? I mean you don't paint a tarot deck with the same brush that you use to paint the dining room ceiling. It just looks silly, and you lose all the detail. And it makes doing the facial features just impossible...

nisaba

to le Fanu

<clap clap clap clap clap>

Le Fanu

.... WAIT! I haven't finished!!

cardlady22 said:
I'm still scratching my head wondering why I want this one. Perhaps I'm dreading the coming summer months and wish to vicariously "live naked" like so many of them are?

(Tarot of the Ages)

Im scratching my head wondering why you want this too?

Massive borders to start with. only looks good on that German site you mention. Everything looks good on that site because all the decks are borderless and BIG. They really overdid the borders and swamped the art. Even the kindest reviews says this.

And it is one of those 90s decks which are all an ill-thought out mish-mash of dumbed down different cultures. Mix up geishas or African Tribes with Egypt and Incas and it is somehow profound. And none of it has anything to do with authenticity or anthropology, just shoe-horning randomness into archetypes.

The concept is dated. Tarot has moved on. A long way...

cardlady22

Le Fanu said:
Mix up geishas or African Tribes with Egypt and Incas and it is somehow profound...

So, my Ancestral Path would step back, shake the dust from its edges, and turn away forever?

nisaba

cardlady22 said:
So, my Ancestral Path would step back, shake the dust from its edges, and turn away forever?
Yup, and I can feel my Haindl trying to crawl away at the mere idea, too. My Motherpeace is feeling slightly hopeful, though!

Le Fanu

cardlady22 said:

Oh that's different. I think the AP is collectible thus desirable thus exempt.

The Tarot of the Ages doesn't even have that

cardlady22

Le Fanu said:
Oh that's different. I think the AP is collectible thus desirable thus exempt.

The shaking off dust & turning away is a Biblical reference. As in, the AP would disavow me for bringing that other and showing my horrendous faithlessness. I am exquisitely de-enabled from the Naked Nonesuch Tarot.

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
*in a daze* Are you really contemplating the Golden Rider? You of "quality tastes" ?
Yes, me of the "quality tastes". :p
Le Fanu said:
I bought the Golden Rider because I had a shelf-ful of RWS clones and knew that if I didn't buy this one it would niggle. So I just had to have it.
Now, that is the absolute worst reason to buy a deck that I've ever heard!
Le Fanu said:
It is hilarious. I couldn't get over it when I took it out of the box. Id seen it on taroteca or somewhere, but nothing could have prepared me for the flatness of it. And the daubing! The wonky-eyed devil with eye-liner which looks like it was shakily put on by someone suffering from withdrawal symptoms of god-knows what drugs.

I mean I suppose it is actually quite innovative in that it does a copy of something by deliberately doing worse art,
BWAHAHAHAHA!
Le Fanu said:
unlike Hanson-Roberts who tried to improve it. (so no threat of copyright issues from US Games) I give them credit for that. But it's the faces and the lack of shading and subtlety.
I know you won't believe that I'm saying this, but it's very artlessness is part of its charm, and my interest in it. I'm thinking that looking at a whole CC laid out with this deck could kick start my intuition. Or something.
Le Fanu said:
I mean you don't paint a tarot deck with the same brush that you use to paint the dining room ceiling.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!
Le Fanu said:
It just looks silly, and you lose all the detail. And it makes doing the facial features just impossible...
Very good, le Fanu!

Stands and applauds!!

However... I still want it! :bugeyed:
Though good art is good art, and bad art... well, isn't - I do enjoy my Shining Woman/Tribe decks. Talk about bad art!

(though the idea that my reputation would crater as a result of buying this deck... um...)
nisaba said:
Yup, and I can feel my Haindl trying to crawl away at the mere idea, too. My Motherpeace is feeling slightly hopeful, though!
Yes, but at least the Haindl only does this with the courts, not the suit cards. Frankly, that's why I don't have the Ancestral Path anymore. That, and I didn't CARE FOR THE ART BWAHAHAHAA!!! :D :D :D

(no one has ever accused me of consistency...) :)