All new de-enabling thread

Hedera

The Maat was I HUGE disappointment to me. :(

I loved the Ancestral Path, and I thought the artwork (not necessarily the images, but the style) would be similar.

Well, it might have been - until she completely mutilated it with big buckets of Paintshop, or something.

All those bits that look interestingly glowy and bright in the scans?
They're digitally fuzzied-up and lightened, and it shows.
A lot of the faces and finer details have been obscured by digital tampering - in some places, the pixels are visible from halfway across the room.

I passed it on within a week I think.

Never did take the time to see if I could (learn to) appreciate and work with the imagery - the bad digital stuff just got too much in the way for me.

Wendywu

Thnkyou for that - the Maat has been on my wishlist for ages - glad to be able to knock it off. I adore the scans but that description has put me right off! De-enabled without even asking to be. That's really good :)

Hedera

sravana said:
I did go to Amazon and shopped for a while, but eventually said "why am I doing this?" and went to bed. Without buying anything! yes... :) :)

This might be slightly off-topic, but it might work as a general de-enabling; not for a specific deck, but for the 'need to shop' urge.

I like going to the Bookcrossing site, and see if there are any books 'released' in my area - I don't usually even go look for them, but I do often end up registering and releasing some books of my own.

It's almost like anti-shopping, but somehow it satisfies the same urge!

Plus, doing wild releases is a LOT of fun, and very exciting. :D

You're welcome Wendywu! :)

Dusk Till Dawn

Thank you so much! I looked at the cards differently this time, I think you are right. There are some cards which threw me off. Thank you!

SolSionnach

re: Maat.
I have loved this deck, but with my now year-long interest in historical decks (and now Lenormand, too) I set it aside.

I don't agree re: pixilation and digital manipulation - I don't see that at all. But what I *do* see are many many cards which are based on various paintings by "Old Masters", which are not credited. I cannot imagine why an artist would not credit these - perhaps she thinks that since they are so familiar, everyone would know of the originals immediately. I am not that knowledgeable of art history, so when I've happened upon the originals it's pretty jolting to realize where the image in the deck came from.

Also, the font issue. OMG. The font is practically BlackLetter medieval, which contrasts sharply with some of the imagery - and it's hard to read. Very. The book is a jumble of fonts, but most of the text is in this blackletter.

The astrological system is quirky, in that you have to know the zodiac's wheel pretty well. For instance, the Emperor is Full Moon in Aries.... and it's very helpful to know that when the moon is full in Aries, the SUN is in the opposite sign of LIBRA - therefore the Fall designation on the wheel of the year. If you are well versed in astrology and the pagan wheel of the year as I am you won't have much trouble. But if you aren't... I'd guess the learning curve is pretty steep.

I could say a lot of good things about the deck, but I'll restrain myself. :)

Wendywu

Oh Sravana please don't say anything good about it; I soooo can't afford it and it would only take a kind word or two to re-enable me.I just mustn't.... no money left at all, but I know I'll hit the credit card again if I fall in love.

SolSionnach

Wendywu, the deck is HUGE, the cardstock is STIFF, the lamination is extremely GLOSSY, and the deck is borderless, and mine is starting to chip around the edges (after little use).

Not to mention, I don't think that it's going to sell out anytime soon.

How's that? ;)

Wendywu

Excellent - I have silly diddy little hands and large cards are a struggle for me (although I am managing wth my Templar, not that it's a good deck or anything) <goes and sobs in the corner for telling big FAT LIES about my deck> so obviously the Maat wouldn't suit me at all. Yay - I am saved :)

SolSionnach

Wendywu said:
Excellent - I have silly diddy little hands and large cards are a struggle for me (although I am managing wth my Templar, not that it's a good deck or anything) <goes and sobs in the corner for telling big FAT LIES about my deck> so obviously the Maat wouldn't suit me at all. Yay - I am saved :)
Very good! Yes, I have small hands, and it's a b***h to work with.

NEWS: I had both the Ancient Italian and Tarot of the Master in my shopping cart... and I deleted both of them! I was :::this::: close - and both of them would be dupes!

However, I still need deenabling from both of them. I feel my resolve weakening... weakening... weakening...

Brigid

WolfSpirit said:
P.S. Brigid*69, don't read this post. It is too late to de-enable you. You know you still want to buy mine :D

:bugeyed: :eek: :bugeyed: