All new de-enabling thread

Debra

sapienza said:
Mind you, despite the beautiful art, I KNOW I'd never read with it. So, if you want it to actually use then that would probably make de-enabling a lot easier.

Quite right. I have been unable to read with the Ukiyoe. I can't recall anyone ever reading with the Ukiyoe.

magpie9

wytchwood said:
LOL!!! I actually had tears of laughter when I looked up the pic of this Empress, indeed it does look like a pig in a dress dancing a jig *chuckle*
If you like that, you'll love quote #646, a few pages back.

Narwhallove

Illuminated Double Iridescent/Sparkly?

Dear everyone! Long time Aeclectic fan, first time post-er, and I'm so thrilled to be here!

Can anyone on this good green earth think of a reason NOT to buy the Carol Herzer's new double iridescent/sparkly Illuminated Tarot? There was a thread posted recently with rave reviews.

I've already got the Pocket and the Large "single" iridescent decks... I know this should be reason enough, but it's not enough for me to shake the nagging greed/love/lust I feel for these new shining versions. Plus, my birthday is coming up....

Please help!

Sincerely,
Scrunched for Cash*

gregory

Carol does lovely work. But one is quite enough. You can give me the large and keep the pocket.

She keeps bringing out new ones, so you will be on an everlasting slippery slope if you succumb.

And honestly - it IS only an RWS when all's said and done. How many do you need ?

And they are too expensive to USE.....

......and did I mention chocolate ?

Le Fanu

Narwhallove said:
Can anyone on this good green earth think of a reason NOT to buy the Carol Herzer's new double iridescent/sparkly Illuminated Tarot? There was a thread posted recently with rave reviews.

Various reasons;

Like she said, it's only a RWS when all's said and done
It's expensive
Doesn't it have different versions like with/without glitter? Or is that just the posh word for irridescent?

Just get your bog standard RWS, paint it with nail varnish and toss glitter on the drapery before nail varnish dries and try challenging any of the tarot connoisseurs here at AT if they can tell the difference (don't forget to do a few swirls in the sky too!)

Ive thought of buying it a few times and each time I go and look (I who is quite happy to squander no end of money of back ups and general tat) and even I find the expense hard to justify. NOT that this deck comes under the heading of general tat, you understand; what I meant was that it is expensive and you won't be contented until you've bought the most expensive version.

Slippery slope...

Beware of thinking that everyone thinks it's amazing; there was one in trading the other day. Not everyone finds it indispensible.

Alta

gregory said:
Carol does lovely work. But one is quite enough.
Yes, I agree quite strongly. I have a Medium Illuminated which I bought a year or so back. And I like it. And I use it. Yes, I read those threads on double-painted with extra glitter versons and even I, who am a little OTT with decks, sort of yawned.

nisaba

Narwhallove said:
Dear everyone! Long time Aeclectic fan, first time post-er, and I'm so thrilled to be here!
Welcome, welcome! <shakes hands vigorously> Great to see you step out of the shadows!

Narwhallove said:
Can anyone on this good green earth think of a reason NOT to buy the Carol Herzer's new double iridescent/sparkly Illuminated Tarot?
Can anyone think of a reason *to* buy it! It sounds dreadful. Sparkles are something that strictly belong in the kind of tar that they pave Australian train platforms with: little bits of crushed mica in the tar to add glitter and try and convince little children that they are not in the most horrible places in the world. <winces at memories dating from early childhood>

Narwhallove said:
There was a thread posted recently with rave reviews.
Was it a review - or was it publicity material? A true review is the honest opinion of someone in no way connected with the deck or its creator, someone impartial who will tell the truth as they see it, not praise and flatter to build up a friend ...

Narwhallove said:
I've already got the Pocket and the Large "single" iridescent decks...
<wince> Don't you have enough train platforms in your house, then?

Narwhallove said:
Plus, my birthday is coming up....
All the more reason to modify your purchasing habits AS IF you had some discernment. You;'re getting older - one day you'll be a grown-up - and that deck, should you choose to buy it, will glare at you out of your collection and remind you painfully of when you weren't.

<carefully hides grin>

flying black kat

One of the Best

Dear nisaba:

I really like this thread. I always read it, and actually learn from the De-enabling thread.

Your post on the Illuminated Tarot for Narwhallove was the best de-enablier for me. I was thinking of ordering an Illuminated Tarot. I already have a large one from the Trading Thread which is very beautiful. I am so grateful that this Illuminated made her way to me. I was thinking of getting a medium. I have come to realize that my large Illuminated doesn't need another Illuminated deck to keep it company. I have enough decks for her to find a friend.

Be at Peace with Yourself.

Kathy

Narwhallove

I inhale and appreciate this cool wind of doubt! Excellent reasons, everybody:

1. It's a slippery slope! Carol, a tarotist but also a businesswoman, will keep churning out brighter and more expensive decks.
2. The cost cannot be justified--at a whopping $223...
3. ... when it's just another Rider-Waite deck.

All this being said, I must righteously defend the natural exuberance of glitter! At nearly 27 years old, my eye is still magpie-ishly drawn to anything that shines. I haven't seen those Australian train platforms, but they sound intriguing to me!

Thank you all!

alpha_beta_angel

I crave another de-enabling...My husband's on night shift and I'm on the computer...I think it's your moral duty. LOL

Can you comment on either of these:
Touchstone, Fantastical Creatures and Bohemian Gothic.

Those three I keep umming and ahhing over and I'm interested in the cons of these decks as I'm rather besotted with them.