identifying paintings in the LS Golden Botticelli

cardlady22

Are there any art books you recommend for figuring out which paintings are being used for the various cards? I'm seeing a few come up on searches, but have no idea which to look or ask for . . . and I can't buy every book out there!

Le Fanu

After I bought the Golden tarot of Klimt, I had this urge to get more familiar with the images and bought the cheapest, most basic but well-illustrated book on the market published by Taschen, who do these cheap art books "for the masses" but with excellent quality reproductions. I was already familiar with the work of Klimt as I studied art history and had always read about it, even things not directly related to my studies. I was surprised just how much of the deck was illustrated in this book, and it was fascinating to see it in its original context .

I don't have the Golden Botticelli, but every time I glance through scans I recognise quite a lot of the images. I think if you bought one of these basic books (Taschen are always a good start, Im sure your local bookshop has them, they're everywhere) you'd be surprised at just how many of the images are there.

Plus of course googling. But - as I said - the images are from his most familiar work in general so it shouldn't be too daunting a task!

cardlady22

Thank you, Le Fanu!

Just throwing these titles out in case anyone has them, or has seen them:
*The Complete Paintings of Botticelli (Penguin Classics of World Art) by Gabriele Mandel
*Sandro Botticelli 1444/45-1510 (Basic Art) by Barbara Deimling
*Alessandro Botticelli: 1444/45 - 1510 (Masters of Italian Art) by HF Ullmann

Ambrosia

Im studying this deck at the moment in the study groups and definately recommend studying the paintings they are based on.
When I first got my deck a few months ago our city library had several books on Botticelli's art so this is always an option.
I live in the capital city of NZ and we have an excellent library, not sure where you are or what your libraries are like but thought i'd mention this anyway as I found it very helpful myself.

Good luck.

ETA~ Unfortunately I cant remember the exact names of the books I myself borrowed. Oh how I love the library! :)

Le Fanu

cardlady22 said:
Thank you, Le Fanu!

Just throwing these titles out in case anyone has them, or has seen them:
*The Complete Paintings of Botticelli (Penguin Classics of World Art) by Gabriele Mandel
*Sandro Botticelli 1444/45-1510 (Basic Art) by Barbara Deimling
*Alessandro Botticelli: 1444/45 - 1510 (Masters of Italian Art) by HF Ullmann

I don't know any of these. But any Botticelli "coffee table books" will have the sources of the deck in... It shouldn't be too difficult. I do recommend the Taschen ones though...

Should I really be enabled on this deck? Ive often wondered about it... But the familiarity of the images actually puts me off. Birth of Venus as the World etc etc. Distracts me (though it didn't distract me with the Klimt and that's the same idea...), but it is the only Golden deck I don't have...

Ashtaroot

Le Fanu said:
I don't know any of these. But any Botticelli "coffee table books" will have the sources of the deck in... It shouldn't be too difficult. I do recommend the Taschen ones though...

Should I really be enabled on this deck? Ive often wondered about it... But the familiarity of the images actually puts me off. Birth of Venus as the World etc etc. Distracts me (though it didn't distract me with the Klimt and that's the same idea...), but it is the only Golden deck I don't have...
You should def be enabled Lefanu I love it and I too grew up with that art around me I even have some of Botticelli's art in my house, When I first got it couldn't think I could read with it cause it was too familiar but guess what I love it and since you already have all the gold one i can't believe you don't have Botticelli :grin:

staying on the topic
I identified alot of the paintings is there a card in particular you need identifying cardlady ?
the library suggestion is a great one also you can go to Barnes grab all the Botticelli and sit in the cafe grab something to drink and enjoy :heart:

cardlady22

I have seen the deck in real life now! There are no right words.

Le Fanu

OK, OK... I have just ordered this for myself... Been looking at the scans on albideuter. Quite excited to see it in the flesh now....Should have it next week.

SphinYote

Web Gallery of art is a good source of Botticelli images:

http://www.wga.hu/index1.html

Type his name in the search, then when the images come up, click the "More works by this artist" link.

A page will pop up with several of them, and if you scroll to the bottom, there's a set of links that break down his art into subcategories, usually chronological.

Yote

SphinYote

You can also go to the artist list, letter B.

He's on page 6 of the artists whose names start with B.

Also, when you get to the pages with images, some of them will have an image of the letter I in the far right column. Click on this for information about the image.