What is a professional?

hunter

What is a professional?

Were the gypsies "professionals"? Are modern day, transient, card readers professionals?

What makes a reader NOT a professional? Are there things that would DISQUALIFY someone from being a professional?

Do certain illnesses/disabilities/quirks enhance card reading abilities or disqualify a reader from being a professional?

Do you think the term "professional" is morphing? If so, do you think that is good or bad?

Are there readers that make "true" professionals look bad? What is the impact of that?

Do you tend to judge a professional by their customer base, reading environment, or their fee scale?

214red

i assume readers call themselves professional because they get paid to do what they are doing.

i personally dont beleive that a qualifications for tarot readers, all it says to me is you can read books and remember details, the magic is in the interpretation for me...how can you measure that?

tarot is very much like most professions, some are very good, and some are very bad, but the majority are in the middle...which i dont see as a bad thing

Astraea Aurora

That's my pov as well. A professional Tarot reader gets payed. He's making reading cards his profession and tries to earn his living this way.

The only ones giving us Tarot readers, professionals or not, a bad name are con artists.

I don't think that an illness or disability takes away one's ability to read the cards. A friend of mine, who is a professional Tarot reader, is confined to a wheelchair.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Grizabella

I have a little bit different take. I don't believe being paid is the necessary thing. Look at the word---PROFESSional. A professional is someone who "professes" to be a Tarot reader, meaning that's what they've chosen to devote their life to and put to use and they claim to be that. Most professionals do choose to be paid because, of course, a person has to provide for their basic needs somehow but being paid isn't totally necessary.

Here are some definitions of the word "profess":

# practice as a profession, teach, or claim to be knowledgeable about; "She professes organic chemistry"
# confess one's faith in, or allegiance to; "The terrorists professed allegiance to their country"; "he professes to be a Communist"
# state freely; "The teacher professed that he was not generous when it came to giving good grades"
# receive into a religious order or congregation
# take vows, as in religious order; "she professed herself as a nun"

I consider myself a professional because I've studied and used the Tarot for nine years now and because I've done readings for pay, even though I charge by donation rather than by a set fee. I use Tarot every day and continue and ongoing study of it.

blackbird78

I do as many free readings as I charge for but I count myself as a professional reader on the basis that I provide a service for charge. And I pride myself on my service that I interpret the cards to the best of my knowledge wtihout conning or scamming anyone, giving people advice and trying to help them. There are professional readers out there who are trying to scam people and they bring down the good name of honest decent professionals which disgusts and alarms me as a professional.

Gypsyspell

Hi ,I see the word professional as meaning -that which is your profession-Job.
Your Job your Trade . Your profession. Nothing more . Professionals should in my opinion follow a Code of Ethics.
I Dont see it as reaching some lofty heights,a reader has decided to sell their service to the public.

214red

Grizabella said:
I consider myself a professional because I've studied and used the Tarot for nine years now and because I've done readings for pay, even though I charge by donation rather than by a set fee. I use Tarot every day and continue and ongoing study of it.
i liked what you said, yes i can see how if i beleived i was good enough to be professional i would be even if i wasnt paid.

donation to me is like being paid, i think its great when people are selfless like that:)

Alissa

hunter said:
What is a professional?

Technically, you're not a professional unless you are representing Tarot as a job skill for which you receive remuneration.

Were the gypsies "professionals"? Are modern day, transient, card readers professionals?
If you use the term to denote a degree of mastery in the subject, there is no way to definitively answer if gypsies (Romany?) were professional readers. It it commonly understood money was exchanged for the service (that old cliche about cross my palm with silver, etc.) so by that definition, gypsies were professionals.

How do you definte transient readers? I'm not sure if you're referring to someone who practices without a set place of business, out of their home... or...?

What makes a reader NOT a professional? Are there things that would DISQUALIFY someone from being a professional?
Staying with the definition of money exchange, one definition would be those who read without remuneration. This would not reflect on their accuracy or ability though.

"Disqualify" implies a personal judgment is being made, as there are no set rules or regulations which qualify or disqualify a professional reader. Speaking subjectively, I would say the intent to use Tarot reading as a means to scam money (ie pretending to read, but relying on cold reading tactics), willfully misleading a client ("You're under a curse, give me more money and we'll try to remove it") or in any other way that might be considered harmful and deceitful is wrong.
Do certain illnesses/disabilities/quirks enhance card reading abilities or disqualify a reader from being a professional?
I would have to know what illness, disability or quirk was being referred to. A blind Tarot reader may read wonderfully, a deaf reader may have wonderful communication skills via text and deliver stunning readings.... Hard to answer without specifics.
Do you think the term "professional" is morphing? If so, do you think that is good or bad?
I think it can be used in a more colloquial sense to denote mastery of a subject, like Tarot. I don't consider that a good or bad thing in itself. Just a synonymous thing.
Are there readers that make "true" professionals look bad? What is the impact of that?
Those who misrepresent Tarot by using it to bilk money or in any way harm others make the the rest of us in the profession look bad. It is the one bad apple dynamic. People assume because this person used reading as a way to scam others, everyone doing Tarot is doing it to scam others. It is by nature a profession which I think everyone should approach with a degree of skepticism, as a result.
Do you tend to judge a professional by their customer base, reading environment, or their fee scale?
I want to say no, but yes. Those charging extraordinary fees (John Edward, Sylvia Browne) have customer bases and fee scales that the average reader will never experience. As a result, there are a lot of expectations put on those people. Whether each lives up to those expectations is debatable.

...What precipitated this line of questions? Have you been thinking on the nature of the professional Tarot reader of late?

hunter

Alissa said:
...How do you definte transient readers? I'm not sure if you're referring to someone who practices without a set place of business, out of their home... or...?

I would have to know what illness, disability or quirk was being referred to.... Hard to answer without specifics....

...What precipitated this line of questions? Have you been thinking on the nature of the professional Tarot reader of late?

I define transient as a person without a permanent home or that travels so widely that they don't really have a permanent home. A wanderer, a modern day gypsy, a homeless person. I chose transient because it was a vague term and I really wanted a term that included a wide variety of people.

I'm thinking more of disabilities that carry a stigma or in the past have been common among shamans. I didn't want to limit it to those, though.

I'm just really curious what people define as "professional". I hear the word used all the time here and I think people have widely differing definitions of the word. I think some people haven't even really figured out what they think the word means and don't even realize that. I just thought it would be a really good topic to discuss. For a word that is used so much at this forum...I don't think we don't have a common definition of what it means.

Mostly I'm just curious. Secondly I think there may be some group value to all of us dwelling on how we use this word and how we are judging other readers, without realizing it.

I recently met a tarot reader who I first labeled as a semi-professional... and...came to the realization that I was being discriminatory. She is a pro among the pros in my opinion, after I took the time to think about what I think a pro is.

I'm just really curious what others think the term means.

Can a mentally ill, homeless woman in the park be a professional, if it's her job and she is amazingly skilled and accurate. Does the fact that she is arrested frequently, hears voices and is dirty disqualify her? Maybe does her ability to hear voices enhance her abilities? If lots of socially prominent people seek out her services, does it make her more of a pro than if she usually only reads for other marginalized people?

Do we think of a pro as a middle aged, white woman with a degree in psychology, working in a new age store in a nice part of town? If so when did we start thinking like that?

When did we start even using the word pro in relation to tarot? To some people "tarot professional" might be an oxymoron.

I'm not trying to...set people up...or prove a point. I'm just really fascinated by people's definitions of what a "professional tarot reader" is.

I didn't JUST want the opinions of people who consider themselves pro, but I would REALLY like to hear who pros think are pros. Even if they don't want to give their personal opinions it would be interesting to hear what they think other pros think, since pros tend to hang with pros, and are privy to "watercooler" conversations.

214red

if a woman in the park is good i dont care if she has a home or not, i would pay her. if someone had an illness and were good i again would go to them.