Runes! Made just for me! And I dont know a *thing* about runes ... yet

Alissa

Can you believe it? A set of runes has practically (almost) landed in my lap!

Last September, at a local craft show while working my henna/palm reading booth, I met a fellow artisan who works with stones. We traded a palm reading for a lovely chakra bracelet.

He loved the reading, wanted to know if I did anything else besides palms. Sure! says me, with a mini-rant on Tarot.

He said he would make me a set of runes in exchange for a Tarot reading. Was gonna cut the wood, do the whole thing himself. I said, ummm o.k.!!

Thought nothing of it, because sometimes we all promise things but don't/can't come through.

Then, I happened to have the booth right next to his at another craft show in December (this show btw had over 300 booths).

Yes, runes! He was planning on doing them once the season wore down, and the new year was upon us. Excellent, says me. Hopeful, but not necessarily expecting.

Now, lo and behold! He calls last week, my runes are ready! I get them on Tuesday!!! He's leaving town soon, and needs to get these to me asap!!!!

I'm so freaking psyched!

So ... ummmmm ....

Where do I begin???

(Obviously I'll have more to contribute once I have the set in hand, but I thought maybe I could get a head start on some help, good reads, etc etc).

SherryZoned

Congrats...read over the Rune forum..all the info you need is there!!

Alissa

I will *definitely* spend time doing that ... and also intend to print out the booklet that Umbrae mentions in his stickie.

ShorTerM

wow sounds like an excellent opportunity to get into runes...
i mean the fact that out of 300 some odd booths this guy ended up right next to you is certainly a good omen as far as im concerned and I am guessing you will get great use out of these runes, as they were crafted especially for you by someone who you must have obviously made an impact upon...

as for myself I am beginning to undertake the study of runes as well, I currently have commited to memory the first 12 runes of what they look like and what their names are... once I get the other 12 then I will begin investigating further into the meanings and signifcance of the runes...

I feel that this is a ground up approach, and I feel it is important for me to feel that my feet are firmly planted on the ground before I start jumping up and down, if you catch my drift...

I look forward to being ready to create my own runes, and I am sure that I will enjoy creating them, i enjoy being meticulous with things that mean a lot to me, and I am sure I will do just that when i create my runes, perhaps even to the point that i will attempt to create them all in the phi ratio :D:D:D

Alissa

They're here!

My runes are here and they are just lovely beyond words!

The man who made them cut them from an apple wood tree branch that had already fallen. He said the tree's name was Erin.

The wood runes have a shiny smooth pebbled bark, and the center is a pinkish white, like pine with a blush. The images are scored into the center of the diagonally-cut runes, so looking at each image is like looking into a pool, with ripples in the grain.

He mentioned that runes were traditionally made from wood -- can anyone elaborate on that?

They are light, but not insubstantial, and make a lovely clickety noise when you run your hands and fingers through them.

Already I've been rubbing their silky smooth wooden surfaces (he didn't polish them, but left them natural, and they are extremely finely cut) against my cheeks, letting my own oils begin to polish the wood (but only on the unscored sides). The oils turns the white wood a soft golden ... warmer.

I have a blank as well, and count 7 rings in almost all of the pieces. It seems quite a good number. Tonight I think I'll sleep with them under my pillow, as I do with my decks when they are brand new.

Now if I only knew what they meant. Ay me. In due time. Once I get a work project to bed in the next week or so, I will reward myself with time to devote to the study of runes I hope.

I'm sure I'll have a tonna questions!

SherryZoned

They sound absolutely beautiful..maybe you can get some pics for us sometime!!