The Medieval Scapini - Ace of Coins

Lady Iron Side

The image in the coin, is constructed along a central perspective, from a (crown) in the foreground, immediately leading to a King and Queen (Chokmah and Binah). and eventually leading through a gate, "Gate" being applicable to any sephirah, but especially to the lower ones as gateways to the mundane sphere.

Ace of Coins - supported by a winged boy who wears a conspicuous blind fold. this pointed to Kether as forever unseen. On the coin itself is an image of an ideal garden, clearly pegan, (Eden, with Kether, sephiroth exted from Kether to "the mountains of the east" the perspective extents beyond the garden to a distant mountain. In the east. Coins - as Talismans not currency.

"Garden of Eden" - Kether -

suit of Diamonds - diamond neckless around the queen neck.

Ace = Inheritance, gifts, money, etc.

Rocks and Crystals - combination of material and spirituality

Rocks - desire, struggle,
Crystals - immateriality,

Blue Wings - soul, water, subconscious mind
Red - blindfold - action passion inspiration, energy, blood, lust, anger, instincts -animal urges, ecstasy

Two new sprouts - beginning, growth,

Treasure - great wealth, gold, valuable coins and artifacts

Man and woman - Addam and Eve - contentment, joy, happiness

Grapes - abundance prosperity, celebration of a food life, happiness

Orange tree - fertility, young married couple

Ox/bull - taurus - Power, stability, stubbornness, strength

Flute and Tambourine - harmony, perfection, humanity,

Flowers - spiritual - potential fruition of one's labours

Mountain - challenges, obstacles, far off goals, that can be reached by waking throught the lesson, accomplishment

Lion - can devour you with rage and or desire, pride, courage,

Goat/sheep/lamb - playfullness, perversity, trickster like attributes, lust greed, envy avarice, serious, responsible, materialistic,

PS: I am not finished, I have more info in my Journal, this is just to get it started, please bare with me

sapienza

What a great image for the Ace of Coins. The putto at first appears to be holding up the coin, but when I looked closer it really seems more as if he is reaching upwards. The hands do not look like they are actually supporting it at all. The images contained within the coin all appear to be linked to sensual pleasures, food, jewels, music, dancing. With the bull comes a link to Taurus, also a sign linked to sensual pleasures. I wonder if the putto is blindfolded as a reminder that it is now what is seen but what is sensed. Maybe this card signifies a time of sensual pleasure and the need to reach towards our goals through engaging the senses.

Rosanne

sapienza said:
I wonder if the putto is blindfolded as a reminder that it is now what is seen but what is sensed. Maybe this card signifies a time of sensual pleasure and the need to reach towards our goals through engaging the senses.
Wonderful insight that lead me to get out my magnifying glass. Why? Because what I had always taken to a type of fringe or embellishment is the 'melting' of the image of the coin. I was trying to think of a similar image for contrast to explain how it makes me feel. There was this film where an artwork was stolen and replaced where actually it had not been taken at all. (Clear as mud?) the painting was covered with water paint and when the sprinklers came on the picture dissolved. All earthly things finally dissolve, but is more than that. Kind of like a surfeit of too much chocolate- it all runs and smears in the heat of life.
Something like that.
Wonderful deck! I should start using it again.
~Rosanne

sapienza

Interesting Rosanne. I like the idea of it melting away. Yes, I've just got this deck out again and can't imagine why I've never used it more.