Music? know any music for...?

minrice

Don't forget "Music of the Tarot"! I lost the CD sleeve or else I'd tell you who produced it. It's lovely, I wish it were a little more dramatic for certain cards (like Devil, Tower, Judgement), but it's good for readings. Subtle and nice to listen to.

Ravenstongue

minrice said:
Don't forget "Music of the Tarot"! I lost the CD sleeve or else I'd tell you who produced it. It's lovely, I wish it were a little more dramatic for certain cards (like Devil, Tower, Judgement), but it's good for readings. Subtle and nice to listen to.

It's by David and Steve Gordon.

There is also "Tarotplane" by Captain Beefheart. Best to hear on his Mirror Man album - it's simultaneously mesmerizing and weird (well it is Beefheart :))

Asbestos Mango

For me, a lot depends on the deck I'm using.

When I'm using the Archeon Tarot, I tend to listen to Judas Priest. Really. The first time I read using that deck, certain Judas Priest songs were popping into my head, related to the particular card I was interpreting. My Deviant Moon also seems to like heavy metal. With my Gilded Tarot, it tends to be either Gregorian chant or chant from the Greek Orthodox Liturgy, although a Lifescapes collection called "Inner Peace" (which is mostly flute music) is also nice for working with that deck. My Bosch and RWS decks haven't really expressed any particular musical preferences.

I'm actually looking for suggestions on some spacey electronic music to go with my Quantum Tarot.

tigerlily

Check out the "Songs to represent..." threads in the Tarot Games and Fun forum.

IheartTarot

I'm not sure if this helps you or has already been mentioned, but in South Africa we have a DMX New Age music channel number 136 on our satellite television station dstv. It plays 24x7 except unfortunately during Christmas holidays when they use the channel for holiday music. They play a very good selection of non-intrusive music suitable for meditation etc and you don't have to change a CD ever which is great!

Regards
Helen

Dotote

Asbestos Mango said:
For me, a lot depends on the deck I'm using.

When I'm using the Archeon Tarot, I tend to listen to Judas Priest. Really. The first time I read using that deck, certain Judas Priest songs were popping into my head, related to the particular card I was interpreting. My Deviant Moon also seems to like heavy metal. With my Gilded Tarot, it tends to be either Gregorian chant or chant from the Greek Orthodox Liturgy, although a Lifescapes collection called "Inner Peace" (which is mostly flute music) is also nice for working with that deck. My Bosch and RWS decks haven't really expressed any particular musical preferences.

I'm actually looking for suggestions on some spacey electronic music to go with my Quantum Tarot.

Perhaps look into Amon Tobin's Supermodified and Out From Out Where are very spacey electronic. Bricolage is more jazzy electronic.

Also try Junkie XL's Radio JXL: A Broadcast From the Computer Hell Cabin

To get into a contemplative mood I find myself listening to Office of Strategic Influence (O.S.I.), Thrice's Alchemy albums, Team Sleep, and sometimes the Deftones.

Some other instrumental/electronic/ambient bands/artists I'd reccommend trying are Bonobo, Ratatat, and Bones Domingo.

I also like the 28 Days Later soundtrack as well as the soundtrack for Sunshine. The soundtrack for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is something I would play while using the Tarot of the Origins. Rugged Ennio Moriconne type ambience with didgeridoos (or what theyve managed to make sound like didgeridoos).

Shade

I'm not sure how many already use it but Last.fm is a great site to listen to and discover new music. The best part for me is knowing that the free music I am listening to is provided completely legitimately by the music industry and I am not hearing something pirated. You can hear the tracks you like and then follow their suggestions for other artists you might like. Things I listen to when reading tarot cards.

Gabrielle Roth (Especially "Bones") - Drumming
Vas - haunting vocals "world" feel
Azam Ali (the singer form Vas, love "Portals of Grace" for the medieval music)
Tuu - singing bowls and "world" feel
Deuter - "Sun Spirit" is a fave - very upbeat, also Buddha Nature
Jennifer Berezan - great vocals
Dean Evenson - beautiful flute and electronic music
Liquid Mind - designed for Reiki but great for tarot
Zen Escape - Lovely eastern flavor
Marina Raye - Especially "Liquid Silk"

jgoreham

Shade said:
I'm not sure how many already use it but Last.fm is a great site to listen to and discover new music. The best part for me is knowing that the free music I am listening to is provided completely legitimately by the music industry and I am not hearing something pirated. You can hear the tracks you like and then follow their suggestions for other artists you might like. Things I listen to when reading tarot cards.

Quoted for truth :)

I bought a couple of cd's over the weekend hoping they might give me some good belly dance music, but now I'm finding them handy for when I don't want dead silence but don't want to be distracted by my tunes, either. I picked up Tantra Remixed (http://www.properlychilled.com/music/release/490) and Arabian Travels 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Arabian-Travels-Vol-Degrees-Collection/dp/B0000A4G7M). I find all these downtempo cd's to be pretty good for these kinds of applications. I like the Buddha-Bar compilations too. When I am handling my tarot cards (or drawing or dancing or almost anything where listening the music isn't primarily what I'm doing), I find lyrics in songs to be distracting and confusing.

blackstormhawk

I would suggest a lot of the artists already mentioned, including Enya and Loreena McKennit, although I much prefer instrumentals.

I'd add Kitaro, Tomita, and the Windham Hill collections.

Robert27

the church

I have had some tantalizing sychronicities listening to The Church and doing anything. They seem to have a deep knowledge of all things mystical including the tarot based on Steve Kilbey's lyrics. the music is ethereal with some of the best layered guitar work imaginable and they have a ton of albums. Some of my favorites of old are: Seance, & Starfish. newer: Hologram of Baal. As for there most serene and meditative for tarot use, although it is rock and roll , maybe try Priest = Aura or even their latest release: Untitled #23