Does any one recognize this Rider Waite clone?

Asher

Mine just arrived!

And all is well...cards were in an unusual order (though this is not the first time this has happened), but were all there. Cardstock is a bit thin, but with a waxy, shiny finish. Very useable, it seems.

I love the coloring of this deck! It will be a nice variation to reach for when I'm in the mood for something different.

Asher

Kimber

emmsma said:
Well, I think thats what I'll be calling mine, but agree we should all agree on the name. There are quite a few of us, now, who've recently gotten decks.

What say you, people? This deck needs a name!

I snapped up a copy for about $1 on Ebay over a year ago. I liked the colors so much that I bought two more next time I saw them, so now I have backups. :c)

When I entered it into my data base, I just listed it as Rider Waite Smith/Red, based on the coloring of the backs (which I love).

magpie9

Mine came Wednesday, and is a joy to shuffle. Love the thin, flexible stock! I'm kind of calling it the Edith Waite, mostly because it amuses me...however, if the majority picks another name, I'll go with that. :)

Fool of Dreams

So, I'm one of the few brazilian posters os the AT forum. =)
I've been looking for a RW deck for some weeks and yesterday I came across this "edith-waite" deck. Its' box looks just like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=8478084010/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

But it's in portuguese, not in spanish, obviously. =)

Well, all I have to say is that I'm disappointed... These cards are just beautiful and easy to shuffle. I love their colors as well... But it just seems to be nothing more than a "fake Universal RW". I mean, it's absolutely faithfull regarding the Universal deck, but who the hell is Edith Waite? Nobody knows... And this version of the deck seems to exist only in portuguese and/or spanish.

It's just so weird... And they seem to be really popular around here. I've seen it for sale in a couple of stores.

The guide book, on the other hand (even though it doesn't say who is this Edith girl) gives some important information concerning Eteilla, Papus, E. Waite himself and even a brief history of The Golden Dawn order and the different "decks" that came from its' dissociation . It's not some let-me-tell-you-this-secret-that-I'm-making-up-out-of-the-blue-book.

I was really intrigued to see that this deck has its' own thread in this forum.

=) And well, at least I can put it on the shelf as an interesting version of the RW deck.

Fool of Dreams

Well... Just checked the Major Arcana and it seems that the main diference between the Universa RW and this Edith Waite is The Empress. She's not holding her shield. It is by her feet, on the floor... And the symbol in it is a winged sun.

Ô.o Is this version of The Empress in any of the RW versions?

Anyway, I'll chekc the minor arcana later.

See ya ;-)

ann0087

So this thread is really old but anyone know where to find an English version of this deck?

magpie9

Sometimes it's on ebay, but who knows by what name? The Edith Waite is not the official name, just what we jokingly call it here.It does come in English, too.

Kimber

Edith Waite

I think the deck is commonly referred to as the "Edith Waite" because there's no attribution on the boxes of the English editions floating around, and the Spanish version identifies the creator as Edith Waite - it just became a convenient way to identify the deck imagery. The Spanish version is identical except for the language - easy enough to work with, whether or not you speak Spanish. I picked mine up on Ebay several years ago and haven't seen any English versions since then, but they may resurface periodically.

rwcarter

So this thread is really old but anyone know where to find an English version of this deck?
The set with ISBN 978-84-7808-406-7 comes with Spanish cards and a Spanish companion book. If there is an English version of this kit, I've not seen it (and would be interested in it).

The deck that comes with English card titles is in a rather nondescript box. I've attached a scan of it. I got one of mine from eBay and another from an ATer here. Never did get around to trimming that deck though.

Rodney

Attachments

• AT Edith Waite Deck-Only Box.jpg
    AT Edith Waite Deck-Only Box.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 151

Kimber

Yes, the one Rodney posted the picture of is the English version I have as well. Here's what it looks like after a borderectomy.

Attachments

• 2013-12-27 16.49.06.jpg
    2013-12-27 16.49.06.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 131