Does any one recognize this Rider Waite clone?

ann0087

Yes, the one Rodney posted the picture of is the English version I have as well. Here's what it looks like after a borderectomy.

Kimber I think it was your facebook post that got me interested in this deck...

Aeric

What a fabulous deck! This is exactly a Waite variant I was looking for! I find Universal too faded, and in Radiant many of the characters look, well, constipated. This one feels so vibrant and truly brings dimension and strength to the characters in the artwork.

I think the only drawback is the 7 of Cups that's missing all of the illusions in the cups, but I'll overlook it.

Nina*

Got it and like it a lot. But my backs are brownish with flowers on it and not like the image Kimber attached above. Does anybody know where I can get the edition with the red backs please?

Aeric

After purchasing Edith Waite and using it, I've discovered its secret:

This deck is a mashup clone, of the RWS and the B.O.T.A. deck. Not only does it include the Hebrew letters and titles on the Majors, but several of the Majors are exact duplicates of Paul Foster Case's redrawing of Pam Smith's work.

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/tar-unive...-livro-baralho-78_MLB-F-3234272402_102012.jpg

http://tarotinstitute.com/free/bota/8-11.html

In this example, the four Majors in the bottom row, and the High Priestess, are all BOTA. The remaining cards are RWS. Other BOTA cards not pictured are the Devil and the Moon.

The creator also picked and chose what she liked from BOTA and grafted it onto RWS. The Justice card at the bottom has the BOTA woman's body, but wears Pixie's crown instead of BOTA's cap. The Empress also holds her shield in the crook of her arm like BOTA, and it bears BOTA's winged disc symbol instead of the Venus glyph of RWS, but she raises the BOTA wand in her right hand like RWS.

And since BOTA has Marseilles-style pip Minors, Edith used all of the RWS scenic Minors and changed a few aspects to her taste, like the shapes of the Cups and the Swords.

Naturally, BOTA members and Golden Dawn initiates, and deck purists would be insulted, since the BOTA Majors are not only mixed with RWS based solely on artistic merit, but they're not coloured according to Case's occult specifications. Nevertheless, the result is this gorgeous deck which combines the best of both worlds, and in my opinion is far superior in presentation to the similarly coloured Radiant Rider-Waite.

Lee

I just received this deck, the Spanish deck-book set from Amazon. I really like it! There are a lot of little interesting touches. I like the slightly bare look that a lot of the cards have.

For sure the Majors are a mashup of the RWS and BOTA, as Aeric pointed out. Also, it seems clear that the Minors were majorly influenced by the Connolly, particularly the pink-purple-yellow multihued skies and the "endless" Escher-like design of the pentacles.

I was a little disappointed that the faces aren't consistent -- some, like the Empress, are rather crudely done, while others, like the King of Swords, are very finely done.

A nice original touch on the World card is that each of the four animals in the corners sports four delicate little purple wings.

My own theory about "Edith Waite" is that the publisher wanted to capitalize on the "Universal Waite" name, and sought to avoid copyright litigation with US Games by saying, "oh, it's not that Waite, it's a different Waite." I suspect "Edith" is as much a real person as "Betty Crocker." Maybe Edith is Betty's tarot-reading friend! :)

Cesar

El Tarot Universal de Waite

The first Tarot I bought was the Spanish Tarot published by Fournier (a long time ago). But after a while, I decided it was time to get the RWS. I went to a library in Santiago (Chile) and they had this set published by Sirio and named the "The Universal Tarot of Waite" or as it reads in Spanish "El Tarot Universal de Waite".

The set comprises a book and a deck. I have the edition published in 2006 and I think it has been with me for about eight years or more. The book is a very good introductory text, well written and of a good quality binding. The deck is by far my favourite and the one I use when I read for others. The book contains some indications about the changes made in the original RWS deck to make this one. As a general comment, I can say that it is a very friendly deck, specially for the consultants, because it does not contain symbols that are not familiar to them. The scenes produce a strong effect and I often hear people saying "I feel exactly as the person in the card".

I have been trying for years to find out more about Edith Waite and I have never come to get anything.

The card stock of this edition is not of a good quality. But in general my deck has endured well all the years I have been using it. Some days ago, I bought a new deck of this Tarot. It is a new edition, the back has a black color and the quality of the paper stock is certainly better, though not so much. I'm not sure if this edition has the same colour quality of the prior one. But basicaly it is the same.

Here in Chile the set is not exactly cheap. The price is around 46 dollars for the book and the deck. The deck alone costs around U$32. A normal Lo Scarabeo Tarot costs about U$25 and a U.S. Games Systems around U$27.