Runic Yoga and Hand Mudras

Astraea

I have Nigel Pennick's book, "Complete Illustrated Guide to Runes." In it, he discusses runic yoga (also called runenyoga and stadhagaldr -- the sound associated with a specific rune is made as the body assumes the shape of the rune) and hand mudras as physical ways to understand, interpret and interact with the runes. This intrigues me. A Google search on runic yoga yielded several interesting sites, some of which advise against these practices unless one is proficient in the use of runes and familiar with the principles of runic magic. Pennick's book mentions no such warnings.

Does anyone here practice runic yoga or mudras, and if so, what are your thoughts about it? Is it safe for a rune novice to practice as one learns the runes, in your opinion? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Ruby Red Slippers

“Does anyone here practice runic yoga or mudras, and if so, what are your thoughts about it? Is it safe for a rune novice to practice as one learns the runes, in your opinion? Any feedback would be appreciated.”

I know the runes, but not rune yoga, and am not familiar with the book. However, I do use mudras. They are very effective for various emotional and physical symptoms. As a Shin Jin Jyutsu practioner all of the energy locks in the body are in the hands. (One of the reasons hands are used and effective for healing)
I'm not sure which mudras the book refers to but would be interested to know more.

One effective mudra for easier breathing is done by putting the thumb over the fingernail of the ring finger, (on the same hand) with the other fingers extended. Try is sometime.

Astraea

Hi, Ruby

I, too, am a Jin Shin Jyutsu practitioner! The hand mudras in JSJ are wonderful and effective. The runic mudras are different from those -- according to Pennick's book, they were developed to represent a specific set of runes, with the hand positions making the shapes of those runes. It looks very interesting.

How nice to meet another JSJ practitioner!

Ruby Red Slippers

Astraea
So nice to meet you too! I'm interested in "how" the mudras are to be used.... maybe I'm dense, what is the purpose?
I also have a great book of hand mudras that covers extensive use of so many different mudras. The draw back to most of these is the length of time they say the positions should be held.
Personally, that was the attraction to JSJ, the finger holds are great for so many things, and as Mary said, for however long you can do it, some is better than none. (Not quoted exactly...)
Ruby

Astraea

Runic Poses

Hey there, Ruby! As nearly as I can tell from Pennick's book, the purpose in forming hand mudras shaped like the runes is to embody particular qualities represented by those runes -- the same idea is behind runic yoga. But Pennick doesn't go into either subject in depth, nor does he say how long to hold the poses -- so I was wondering if people in this forum had heard of these practices and could share their views on them.

Interestingly, today I came across a book by Edred Thorsson entitled "Futhark: a Handbook of Rune Magic," and in it he illustrates the body poses, called stadha (but not the hand mudras), that correspond to each of the runes in the Elder Futhark. He explicitly states that they have magical uses, but does not go further.

cjtarot

MUDRAS...Way to go

Hi,

I know nothing about Runes..sorry..

BUT,
I was introduced to a book "Power Mudras, Yoga hand postures for woman" by Sabrina Mesko a few weeks ago..It is a must have if you are pressed for time and still want to try to calm donw..

I LOVE IT..the exercises take about 3 min. each and there is one for almost every problem I have..including a section on the computer.."healthy eyes"..something for your spine..and so on..

WORTH CHECKING OUT..

Blessings and happy Mudra

Cj

Astraea

Thanks, cjtarot

I appreciate that information -- I'll be sure to look for the book. I like how yoga and Jin Shin Jyutsu hand mudras can be done anywhere (most of them, anyway), without drawing attention, and they are so effective!

These runic hand mudras look very interesting, too. I'm sure that it would take a solid background in runelore to use them most effectively, and I'm just beginning to study the runes.