A nice and maybe important dream

Tor

Hi all :)

I had this dream last night which was so great. I first thought I'd keep it as a secret, but now I think it's better to share it and get some comments.

I was driving with my mom to a new place I'd bought. A small house on a steep hill. When I arrived there, I saw the house was laying in shadow, and I commented that. But then I understood that it was morning, and that the house was facing west.

Then I saw many horses in the field around the house. It was also some kind of goats with long arrows on their forehead.

I went down to the house, but it was so steep that I falled down the hill towards a horse. It came rushing against me. I was a bit afraid, but reached out my hand. The horse licked it, and then I cuddled him. And he loved it! Then I woke up...

I have made up my own thoughts around this dream, but would love to hear your comments. It's always helpful to get another point of view.

Anyway it was a great dream! :)

Cerulean

P. 138 The Nine Gates of Poetry
Jane Hirshfield, translated poem of David Slavitt:

The gravid mares
graze out their months in gentle stateliness,
freed from all human burdens by their own,
kept close in care, pastured in shady fields
where quiet rivers lap the quieter moss
that lines their banks.

The mares go out at dawn
and again at dusk (avoiding the gadflies noon);
you see them taking shape in the morning mist

or burnished by the golden light of sunset
tricks of light?

But we must believe our eyes
even at miracles. Huge and yet delicate,
they stalk their time, the creatures of a dream
(The gods? Ours? Their own?)

And wake
And foal

The marvel of it fades-all marvels do-
and feeling our way, our confidence again,
we lapse into routines, as the gods do, too
and the business of life.

The question-in whose dreams do these mares live? is unanswerable. And yet the waking, and the foaling, and the poem-writing, occur; each a refuge and intermission in the business of the everyday mind.

Your dream of light and shadow and beautiful timeless quality of the description made me think of this and dig it out. The goats and other frameworks for the dream is of course, just as significant...but right now, the beautiful dream and poetry of a magic moment remembered seems lovely to me. Thank you for sharing the lovely feeling. (It beats my recent dream of buying a recycled car and end up seeing the lemon that we donated to charity in my driveway again.) I'll have to coach myself to remember something beautiful and hope to dream as you did...

jlbvt

I love dreams!

Balder,

did you buy the house in real life, or in your dream?

Is your mother still alive?

How do you feel about horses and goats, are they part of your past?

Normally I would say the steep hill is significant, but since you live in norway, that may be what you see every day?

How did the shadow over the house make you feel in your dream?

Tor

Hi jlbvt :)

I had bought the house in the dream. The dream (as i can remember) starts in the car on the way to it.

My mom is still alive, 68 yrs old.

I have no connections to either horses or goats. I remember that I was surprised to see the long arrows on the goats, but they gave me a great feeling.

I live in southern Norway, and there is no such steep hills around here.

I was a bit disappointed when I saw the shadow over the house.

But I guess I shall reveal that I read a lot about Chiron the day before. In the myth he was a centaur who was hurt by an arrow.....half man and half horse......he was immortal, but gave up his immortality. Some say to ease his pain (it could only happen through death), but some say it's because he wanted to relieve Prometheus suffering. An altruistic act of self-sacrifice by one who empathized with the suffering of others.

Hope I gave you some clues....

Cerulean

By the way, the Hermit faces one direction, casting light before him. The shadow of the past or the West with the house, that you were taking an elderly female maternal figure...the matriach of your tribe, so to speak. You were showing her something important to you--a new home or structure that was significant--initially you wanted it to be light, but you understood that this was the start of the day, so the house or structure that just became yours was still overshadowed by a large hill...possibly you travelled over that hill to get to the house (passed over?), it was something steep that overshadowed your new home. Any chance that the shadow was shaped like a hermit's cloak or the hill had a hermit-like sihouette?
You said goats, but could the goats have a kind of bearded antelope kind of appearance and one arrow/horn like a unicorn? Your own metaphors/ideas...we could always talk about goats following Pan or if you liked the Thoth deck, for some reason there are rams/goats. I actually think the goats were a personal metaphor to you...the horses as well. Goats tend to be there own beasts, adapting to people...horses tended to serve and be friendly to people.
The horse that you cuddled...I assume that it's head was near yours and it was a friendly, large hug.
Just some ideas...may not apply.
Take care and have lovely dreams.
Mari H.

jlbvt

Mari- what you said is great. I tend to look at dreams as more mundane, from a coins perspective. I will have to think about what it means tomorrow, as it is bed time right now! ;)

Diana

Balder: I haven't yet read the other posts (will do after this), so if there are any repetitions, I am sorry.

You're with your Mum. A Mum can symbolise a sense of security. For a child, when he's with Mum (symbolically, unfortunately not always literally :( ), there is a great sense of protection. A mother's instinct is always to protect her child. And how cosy it is to be in her womb.

So you start out your dream very nicely. :)

You drive up a steep hill. The steep hill represents the obstacles you are facing in your life right now. But how nice to know that's it's a hill and not a mountain! Far more restful. You're driving in a car. In the olden days, people wouldn't dream they were driving in cars, as they didn't exist. They would dream they were on a horse. So you're on your horse here - a horse-rider is very much in charge of the direction he's going in (well, in your dream you were very much in charge.)

Of course the house is in shadow. The house represents you, where you are right now in your life. You haven't quite come out of your shadows. Your house is facing west, so it will receive the sunlight in the evening. West can mean winter in dreams. After winter comes spring. Yay!

The goats are Unicorns. Magical animals. Absolutely pure. They will connect you with your divinity. The point of their arrow that they were wearing will help you connect right into the bulls-eye.

Of course the horse loved you. You murmured into his ears. And you heard him talking to you. The connection with the spirit world has been made. You are so lucky!

What a wonderful dream.

Genna

Just some thoughts influenced by reading The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fairies by Anna Franklin all day.Your house faces the west and the setting sun(fairies like that time of day).Horses and goats are animals loved by the fairies.Your associating the horses and arrows with Chiron is very interesting.He was a friendly centaur,the hurt healer,and a faery.The goats were marked with arrows(fairies are known for their arrows,the goats were fairy goats?)
Maybe you spent your dream in the Otherworld?And are making friends there.The horse stopped your tumbling down the hill,and was friendly.Maybe they want to help?

Tor

I'm so grateful for all the response here. You have such wonderful interpretations, and I begin to think that my narrowed mind need something completely different.

It's very inspiring to read all this, and I think my Chiron have a important role too. It's symbol is a key, so maybe this is the door to my new world....:) At least I understand there is something different out there. Your words prove just that!

Thank you! :)