Ouija

jade

LOL i have never heard of a terrifying experience with the tarot.

jade

blue

An acquaintance of mine was recounting some experiences he had years before. Now remember, when he was telling this story he didn’t know I had any involvement with Tarot.

It seems that more than once during his youth, he and a friend used a Tarot deck to raise demons. At this point I started to tune out his rant as the product of a religious conservative’s attempt to impress us with the need for “salvation.” However, what did get my attention was his obvious discomfort with the subject. Something, real or imagined, had frightened this man. I truly don’t think he is a good enough actor to be putting me on.

Which leads me to wonder if any form of “divination” doesn’t hold the potential for a bad experience? I don’t think that makes any particular form evil in and of itself. The answer to a question like this would be nothing more than speculation on my part and needs to be answered to the satisfaction of the individual involved.

I’ve has some terrifying experiences in my life but not with Tarot or any other form of “divination.” The one that stand out in my mind occurred after one of my early experiences with Tai Chi. I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone else and it’s never happened to me again (thankfully). I have to conclude that the experience might have been caused by something other than the practice itself, but what, I’ll probably never know.

tarotbear

" Never open a door you do not know how to close".

I say this to many people, young people, especially, when they start asking about Ouija boards and stuff, especially at this time of year. People all 'accept' the idea that you are contacting the 'spirit world' when you use a ouija board-- after all, isn't that the purpose? You have no idea what kind of spirit is floating around out there, and what can be attracted when a 'signal flare' goes up, such as a bunch of kids chanting for a spirit to appear. If you are going to take this chance, I suggest you cast a cirle of protection around yourself first. When you are finished, dismiss everything that may be lingering, then ground yourself thoroughly.

I have never heard of anyone having bad experiences with tarot; wasn't that the plot of a movie about a year or so ago- that a certain layout of certain cards would call the devil to appear?

Alta

blue (18 Oct, 2001 20:43):
The one that stand out in my mind occurred after one of my early experiences with Tai Chi. I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone else and it’s never happened to me again (thankfully).
Okay... now that is amazing. Tai Chi, which I practiced for several years, is a form of slow motion exercise and has nothing to do with divination. ???

deso

I can't say I've ever known anyone who had an "evil" tarot experience ....... actually, not even a "negative" type of experience.

blue

Marion;

No kidding.
You can imagine my surprise!

cj

tarotbear (19 Oct, 2001 02:26):
" Never open a door you do not know how to close".

I say this to many people, young people, especially, when they start asking about Ouija boards and stuff, especially at this time of year. People all 'accept' the idea that you are contacting the 'spirit world' when you use a ouija board-- after all, isn't that the purpose? You have no idea what kind of spirit is floating around out there, and what can be attracted when a 'signal flare' goes up, such as a bunch of kids chanting for a spirit to appear. If you are going to take this chance, I suggest you cast a cirle of protection around yourself first. When you are finished, dismiss everything that may be lingering, then ground yourself thoroughly.

Tarotbear,

bout a Ouija board at a toy store a week or so ago, used it this week (before reading post) and was just told my husband was going to die, when and where (from a spirit that claims to be 9 and died in 1938).

I obviously feel he was playing on my deepest fears and was able to read my mind - He also told me some wonderful things...was able to give clues only I would know.

So, Could you explain about casting a protective circle and grounding.

cj

jade

cj,

i also recommend you performing a banishing ritual to command any spirits/entities that you welcomed into your home and reality - thru the board - to leave.

love and light,
jade

tarotbear

OK - 'Wicca 101' in 100 words or less:

Unlike ceremonial magicians who cast a circle to contain the energy/spirit/force they are going to deal with, you are casting a circle to protect you from outside forces. It may be called a circle, but in reality it is a sphere- a 360 degree ball that you are casting around your space to act as a filter and a wall. This is very non-specific so I don't accidently insult anyone's 'tradition'. Basically, you find and start in the East and say something like " Spirits of the East-welcome, and guard the circle we build here". You can invoke a diety, spirits, the elements- whatever. You then take you finger/knife/sword and draw a 1/4 circle to the South imagining white light, blue flame, or whatever you like to visualize the circle being created. You stop in the South and say 'Spirits of the South- welcome, and guard the circle we build here". Continue to draw the line to the West, call on the West, continue to the North, call on the north, then continue to the East and complete the circle. See it as a sphere. Stand in the center and call on whatever diety you feel akin with. Welcome them and ask them to guard the circle. You can accompany this with music, incense, lighting candles, etc..
Conduct whetever you wish in the circle-know that you are being protected.
At the conclusion, dismiss the circle. Some people start in the East and work widdershins ( counter clockwise), some go in the same direction they used to build the circle. Thank the spirits of that direction for protecting you. Continue around the circle doing so. Go to the center of the circle and thank your diety for participating and protecting you. It is customary to address the ethers with something that ends :"We thank you for your help here today, but before you part for your realms, remember to harm none when you go. The circle is open, but it is unbroken". ( and us pagan-types add 'Merry Meet; Merry Part; Merry Meet Again".)

Whew!

MeeWah

Blue: Although I have a niggling acquaintance with Ouija & choose not to associate with it (had a dubious experience years ago with one I owned), I still find the website fascinating!! It is truly unique :)
Thank you for sharing as it should help provide intelligent information.
You raise an interesting point about the potential of bad experiences with any form of divination. I suppose there is the possibility of this, but experiencing trauma with any such thing may lie with the individual & the particular circumstance. There are so many variables involved that it would be difficult to even conjecture. Even an experience perceived as a "bad" one carries a message of sorts.