Book of Mutations (I-Ching)

Ravenswing

whoa!

macavity--

much thanks for this site. gematria has been a passion of mine for many years-- one of my works being the development of an english-based gematria. it's wonderful to see another system. seems that we both use the what i term a tetratriniad-- a tetragram where each position has three possible members.

i don't use base 3, although 81 is an important number. there are 81 possible tetratriniads. i'm working on an "extended" tarot that models a bit closer to the tree of life-- it includes three additional cards which are based on the three negative veils. another 81.

the i ching is a system which has 64 members-- 8 squared. the 'gematric tarot' (which is what I term my tarot) has 81 members-- 9 squared. one form of the runes has 25 members-- 5 squared; the same number as the major arcana plus the negative veils. the tarot courts total 16-- 4 squared. lots of squares... a bit of food for thought.

fly well
raven

Macavity

Yes, I remember you saying - from seemingly ages ago! Good to hear it's progressing. :) Yeah, "I like three's"! The good old quarks of SU(3) and all that good stuff? If I still remembered (or had ever REALLY used!) some of that stuff, I'm sure the math(s) would lend itself to the purpose? I liked e.g. the 27 = 5 (!elements) + 22 (majors). I assume Crowley was working with that system, but the bits of e.g. the I-Ching which he refers to in the Book of Thoth are but a small part? Intriguing.

Certainly your "higher orders" (?!) giving larger numbers might seem quite promising? The problem has always seemed to be one of compressing the card "data" into the "theory". You don't (after all) have to USE all the possible slots predicted... Hmmm - maybe it infers yet more tarot cards - of which our set is just a part? I'm sure some self-contained, unified system - which had internal consistency would be appreciated! :D Anyway, I'm rambling - Nice to be reminded of your stuff though.

Macavity