Trim Medicine Cards?

hunter

I'll post the backs tonight. The lightening is off center and the top is slightly cut off.

The first cut was tricky. I taped, a see through flexible ruler, to the cards. I lined a line of the ruler up with the red line, NOT the top of the card. Then used the ruler as a cutting guide.

I'll scan the ruler, too, so you can see it.

The rest of the cutting was just cutting along the red border. Then I used the corner punch.

I asked the deck about our future relationship. I got raccoon, protector of the underdog. That is so fitting. When in true crisis this deck never gives secondary wounding meanings. It never just supplies a meaning of "this is all your fault". And it teaches YOU to be a protector of the underdog, as well as acting as our protector.

I'm really struggling with a dear friend who is manic this weekend. I picked dog and porcupine as my cards today. They were SO helpful!

And I just riffle shuffled for a long time. Riffle shuffling is like thinking in the shower to me. Ahh to be able to riffle this deck :) It's a dream come true! :)

I am NOT having a good weekend. I keep losing time and experiencing black outs, due to some post trauma symptoms I get when stressed. When I find posts that I don't remember writing, and don't know where the food in my fridge comes from, I know I need to seriously start self-soothing.

I've got out many decks right now, pulling lots of cards. This is hands down the winner today in practical advice and feeling comforted.

This deck was just not the same for me untrimmed. I loved the book, but the cards themselves, just did NOT work, visually or tactiley, for me.

I'm going to buy a bright yellow bandanna for it, later this week. Not today though, I need to stay home where I'm less likely to have any accidents from being so fuzzy. Decks are not truly welcomed to the family till given an outfit to wear. I never leave any favorite decks in a box. They all have a cheap, but carefully chosen bandanna.

hunter

Okay here is the scan of a back and the ruler. The ruler is only about twice as thick as a card and very flexible. I've gotten them at several different art stores. The make good presents for journalers and students. I think they are less than $2.00 when you can find them.

scan0002.jpg

Michaelmassage1

Mc

They are a great animal deck! I agree they could be a bit shorter.

Mellifluous

i have this deck. nice job!

hunter

I am so glad I repurchased this deck and took the risk of such a tricky, radical trim. This deck has been amazingly helpful to me right now.

It is able to offer advice that stretches me, but always does it in a way that feels safe. The author of the book is a very wise, humble and compassionate person.

I really wish this deck would be sold as a mini version again. I would like to give it as a gift sometimes.

tiripou

Tell us how!

hunter said:
I bought and trimmed the cards last night... I am just so pleased with the way these came out!

They look great! Better than before you trimmed them!

How did you trim them? How did you get the curved corners? They're so neat and even.

EDIT: I see you've already carefully answered my question. Thanks!!

tiripou

Great job! Enjoy!

hunter said:
Okay here is the scan of a back...

scan0002.jpg

Even the back looks better. The only thing I didn't like about this deck was the back. Now that you've trimmed a bit off the lightening bolt, it looks more real.

I adore this deck! (Only stopped using it when I learned why Native Americans might take issue with it.) I still have it stored neatly in a box and I'm tempted to take it out and trim it like you did yours.

BodhiSeed

I've had a deck a Medicine Cards for 10+ years that I've always loved. Because of all the use, and because of their length, many of the cards have a few slight bends in them. About a year ago, I trimmed them down (they look just like yours do Hunter!:)), and I feel like I have a new deck to work with.

hunter

This deck has been so incredibly helpful to me. I understand about Native Americans having problems with feeling like their heritage is being stolen and tainted.

Animal totems are older than Native Americans. "Clan of the Cave Bear" is fiction, but based on a lot of french archeology. I use the cards to tap into my french heritage, not my native American.

Animal totems are an ancient world wide belief. No one group has the right to claim ownership!