How many Tarot books do you own?

Pugwinkle

I am finding threads with a lot of recommendations for different Tarot books and so many of them seem interesting. I'm wondering how many books you have on the Tarot and if you have read them all?

Wendywu

I have far too many. I wish I'd just bought a few, read them thoroughly and then just left them on the shelves. Yes, I did read the ones I bought but you get conflicting advice and all sorts of personal ideas from authors.

I'd love to off-load them (and I must have about 40 or so) but they don't bring in much money if you sell them, and shipping for books is expensive. I don't know anyone locally who'd want them or I'd just give the darn things away. I could do with the space to be honest.

There aren't that many I'd keep really.....

I'd advise extreme discrimination - I just bought far too many; I don't know what I was looking for but I didn't find it in most of them. The best, for me, were Paul Foster Case, Amber Jayanti, Isabel Kliegman and Jason Lotterhand. Also the Paul Huson and Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees. And Umbrae's spoken word book "The Process".

But naturally, other people will have other favourites :laugh:

AprilFool

Wendywu said:
I have far too many. I wish I'd just bought a few, read them thoroughly and then just left them on the shelves...I'd advise extreme discrimination ...I don't know what I was looking for but I didn't find it in most of them...
I have about 25 or so, not counting the ones that come in kits w/ decks (ie companion books). Some are favorites, and some not so much. I actually still enjoy looking through them from time to time, and still get something out of them each time I look. Sometimes, I just like looking at the pictures!

I'm an analyzer, so reading is one of the best ways for me to learn, and I enjoy it! But I agree with you, space is getting to be at a premium, and the resale value and shipping cost don't make selling them worth it.

I like to trade old books at a used book store - do you have one of those in your area? They give you roughly half the purchase price, or sometimes a lot less if the book is in bad shape, or they have too many of them already in their stock. Then they resell them to others and you can use the trade value to buy new ones yourself!

Alpha-Omega

I think I have nearly 50 Books

I have been making a sheet with a list of books and decks I have to keep track. I dont sit down and read them front to back. I use them for reference when needed.

lark

Counting companion books that come with decks last time i counted about 150.
I've read most of them and some are gems and some are worth squat...

Chronata

Not counting deck companion books...I have um...Two.

I think.

The book thing is pretty new for me. I have read tarot for over 25 years, but only read books about tarot in the last 4 years.

If you are speaking about companion books...I have 3 which no longer have the decks with them! Strange really.

The crowned one

Under 50.

To be honest the two I reach for most are my own journal and "tarot tells the tale"

Wendywu

Yeah - the shelf of books I actually use is tiny. The shelves of books I don't use just take up space. I re-read Paul Foster Case a lot - The Book of Tokens is a good and constant companion; and I love the Lotterhand. Other than that I tend to look back over my own journals for suggestions and ideas - I'm a great one for putting articles, piccies and anything remotely of interest into my journals. They prove to be very useful resources over time.

The crowned one

Paul Foster Case was my "tarot guide" for many years. I still love his stuff.

Gazel

I have far too much. How many? - 75 perhaps. Enough to have them in a book shelf for themselves.

I just bought James Ricklef's latest, and I considering actually reading Tarot for Writers by Kenner, most for the writing exercises. I also want to read Meditations on the Tarot - still waiting for me.

I'm - still - eagerly awaiting the Alchemical Tarot revisited book. Still work in progress Wikipedia says. Good things take time. Think I've have to be patient. I'm glad I have this website with the Alchemical Tarot study group for reference.

I don't use my tarot books so much anymore. When I read the cards I don't read the books. Yet, sometimes I use them for reference for a certain symbol, or I still read certain books for leaning. Pollack's books I can never let go of or some of Greer's.

The books are most for edutainment.

It is true (which I actually found it hard to believe once) that I don't need the books to read the cards. To let go of the books makes it easier to actually get into the flow of reading cards.