So how many forms of Divination are there?

Milfoil

True. :)

It was one of the reasons for starting the thread so see how many different forms of divination shared the same methods and hence were reading the same stuff.

It could be that there are as many forms of divination as there are ways to imagine and that would make sense because all things are part of our universe and hence capable of influencing us as well as being open to interpretation.

Sheri

I am a great fan of Lon Milo DuQuette's book "The Book of Ordinary Oracles" in which he demonstrates various divination tools including pendulum, Tarot and even using a remote with television to pick sound bytes to divine with.

His premise is that the tool itself is irrelevant... the messages we get come from us. I agree with this and believe one step further and don't think that we really need divination tools to divine if we had the confidence to let the messages come through. However, I am not to that point yet and use whatever divination tool intrigues me to frame the context within I listen and share the messages that come through.

I think the list of and types of divination tools are limited only by our own imaginations.

:love: Sheri

Milfoil

Yes, what I just love though is that if it all comes 'from' us, it is not just personal stuff, it is everything. We are capable of picking up just about anything and everything. :) Way cool.

Sheri

Absolutely! A line from one of my favorite series, Babylon 5 comes to mind. One of the characters says that we and the universe are all made of the same thing "star stuff" and that "We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."

That was one of the most profound things I had ever heard and it really reinforced my own life long belief... just more eloquently put.

:love: Sheri

Barleywine

What, No Cometomancy Here?

Well, I must say I'm impressed! There exists a "cometomancy" form of divination - although I think the ancients may have mainly considered comets as "auguries" of war and other upsets - and nobody - not ONE person - on AT is braying about the doomsday threat of Comet Elenin. Not even on the Astrology threads. I've done some astrological work on the subject and came up with some interesting results, but far be from me to wake the sleeping dog here :D.

crystal dawn

I'm just wondering, how many do you know of or use? Can we make a list?

Ogham
Oracles
Runes
Scrying with water
Scrying with a crystal ball
Scrying with hot oil
Scrying with molten lead or wax dropped into cold water
Scrying with raw eggs
Scrying with clouds
Tarot

I know that I have missed out loads - what else is there?

geomancy
I ching
scrying
bibliomancy
shadowmancy
reading auras
iridology (reading eyes)
palmistry
reading candle wax
primal runes